Original Species Feature

Ok, so I love seeing the creatures people create and wanted to make a top ten feature out of whoever posts their creations here. I wanted to do this because there's alot of people who make great species, but they get lost in the clutter. So by featuring great designs, I hope to at least bring a little more attention their way.

The Rules:
1. The species MUST be created by you. The art doesnt have to be by you, but the creature design must be by you and owned by you.
2. If the art for your species was drawn by someone other than you, please credit them properly IN YOUR COMMENT.
3. You can post up to three species, but only one can be featured.
4. If the submission doesnt have details in description, then please add at least a basic explanation on the species.
5. Anatomical correctness is fine, as long as there's no arousal or obvious "enhancements" to make them seem more attractive. Lets keep this clean.
6. Please be nice to others who post.

I will be deciding who to feature based on design, originality, and functionality. This isn't a "who's art is the prettiest" feature, but a feature of creativity.

The feature will be made in may if I get enough species.

LETS SEE THEM CRITTERS!
Comments61
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ooh I hope you're still looking for things to feature as I just put up my species trait guide and info journal today :la: It's a closed species called the fenguet -- I've only done a couple adopts for them so far but definitely plan on doing more, especially as I've submitted a lot of species info for them C:

Fenguet Species Info + Trait Guide! by iKiska  [CLOSED] Fenguet! by iKiska  [CLOSED] More Fenguets by iKiska  
Hah, actually I am! I don't have enough species that I like enough to feature yet. I need like 3 more good original species.
Woodloper by VampireButterflyMel <--Woodloper: a hybrid antelope with a trunk like nose and woodpecker. It uses its snout to vaccuum up prey (insects).  Turtle Duck by VampireButterflyMel <-- Turtle duck has the advantages of a beak for hunting, and the advantages of a shell for defense against predators.
I have threeee
You can read about them on these pictures/FAQs:

CardSharks:: [FAQ] by Pizaru-Chu Miromira:: [FAQ] by Pizaru-Chu LapinLock:: [FAQ] by Pizaru-Chu

And you can go here (and visit the folders on the left side) If you want to see individual pictures of all the adopts, which I encourage because there's quite a bit of flavor text on every single one..!
If i were to recommend any one from each group, I'd say take a look at these at least:
CardSharks:: 6 of Moons [Closed] by Pizaru-Chu Miromira:: 2nd Rank Hexagon [Open] by Pizaru-Chu LapinLock:: 2nd Cheveron Lock [Open] by Pizaru-Chu
These are awesome! I especially love the card sharks; what a neat idea!!! You could probably make a pretty epic comic series out of these! Also a role play group for all of these would be really cool too! It already feels like your creating a solid lore and culture for these!

I cant wait to see what other species you come up with! (seeing as you hinted at there being more). You have some great ideas!
Ahh I'm glad you like them! You could do a lot with these really haha
Maybe the group I made for the entire world they take place in could become that eventually..! That sure would be a weird peice of the adopt business haha

Thanks so much! I sure do have a lot more to share..!
Those first two are very well thought out and detailed! I love how the klackel is described like its a real species. Very matter of factly, and with a basic, but well thought out behavior/culture. That dragon is the first I've heard of that goes threw a metamorphosis like moths or butterflies. And very interesting reproductive method.
Thank you so much!
It's still pretty rough, but here's a happy little space rabbot
Alien Rabbot by Lostum
Good starting point. If you expand on this, update me on here :)
Carnivorous by Simplexification  The Thrall by Simplexification  Therion by Simplexification

None of these have a name, though they are all concept art for a story I may one day write.
Nice. That first one is REALLY freaky!
Maskbuddies by Fisukenka Wiru by Fisukenka
Here are some :9 Based on animals but the ideas are pretty much my own featuring sci-fi.
Cool designs! I would work on an origin story for them, and characteristic descriptions! Those really add a whole other dimension to the species and can get more people interested in it. Tell me if you do so I can take a look ^.=.^
Ohh thanks a lot! c:
Yes, I have thought working with these more in the future actually~ At the moment I'm planning a design board for my plug/socket canines so people can make their own ones. I have planned a world for them too and some basic information so it's easier to start building up a community for them : D
For my maskbuddy designs I haven't really planned anything big yet. I just love designing them haha~
C'mon Lets Play~ by fireytika Siesta by fireytika Lyua N Croy by fireytika by fireytika
Each species has description in the artist comment ^^
I called them : Fantasy Animals. Each species is combination of 2-3 animals species. And they have ability to manipulating element such as fire, darkness, earth, etc. Some are stronger than other, base of their clans or habitat.
The art is pretty good. I would probably try to come up with an original name for them, something that would fit in with the culture/world.

Animal hybrid is a pretty common thing, but if you give them a good lore, with culture traits to set them apart, it could make them much more appealing.
I named them based on ability they have, or their clan from left to right: Molydes Griff, Raven Nightclawler, Fleur de Flora, Firey Leonard, Lyua Sandy, Croy Saguaro. They live in a modern time, so give them casual cloths. For the middle artwork, they live in tropical climates city, so i choose casual clothes for them. For some clans, they have dominant colour in their clothes to show what are their elements. Green ones is more specific to clans who can controlling nature ( plants kingdom). In the right one, their original habitat is in desert (they have other cloths to wear in desert) but, the story set them to moving in town, into tropical climates. That's why i choose casual clothes, and it's not represent their habitat. Some clans have a treasure, which give them more power or ability that differ from other. Fleur's clan have a healing crystal, this is also what's makes her clan almost extinct because other clans wanting that treasure. In this worlds, the clans who have elements of darkness or Light, is a noble clan. Because they're the most ancient. Right now, the highest position in aristocratic is on the hand of Griff clan for the light, and Nightclawler for darkness. The nobles wear loyalty-related clothing. For their theme, i choose victorian-steampunk style combine with batik motif from my country. Because, some batik patterns can only wear by a noble, or a Sultan. The example is Batik Keraton. This what's makes them different from other clans. References for their places is looks like in the left picture. For Nightclawler's castle i choose gothic architecture. I have some concepts for their environments, but i haven't have enough time for painting themSnif..Is Beautiful..Onion
There is Lord of darkness who wants to rule their world by force. He is the main antagonist, evil boss i set in this story, so far he's done creating chaos everywhere, and slaughter some clans. He's been kicked out from his clan for having this ambition. And right now, the noble clans trying their best to protect this world, until a war declaration.
Any ancient fantasy animals like dragons, phoenix, leviathan, unicorn,etc, are exist in this world. But, the originals are rare, and live in isolation continent. This is because they wanted to protect themself from outsider. Only few of them who wants to evolve and live harmony with other species. The example is griffin. Molydes and Raven are still one lineage with griffin.
I'd be more glad if i can show you some concept picture about their world, but i haven't realization it,yet Depressed
I hope this summary enough for explain a little bit of their world. I put some culture from my country to this world. I get their references from animal encyclopedia, so i can create more unique species with different ability.

Thanks for your feedback~
The Aogi:
Spirit creatures that have come to inhabit Earth and live alongside humans. They're very strong magical creatures born with orbs on their bodies that they use to channel and express their intentions physically. Because they aren't from Earth and are essentially half-spirit and half-beast they can't manifest fully while on Earth. This is why they don't have front legs. Even Earth-born Aogis are born without front legs and this is a trait shared by all Aogis. Luckily Aogis found a way to counteract this odd side effect by using the magic of their orbs to summon ethereal front legs as well as many other adaptations depending on their environment and preferences. These adaptations can make physical contact with the things around them but they are also somewhat ghostly. If you look closely you can almost see through them.

Crystal Cave Aogi [OPEN] by RadLavvy   Mist Maker by RadLavvy Bay Root by RadLavvy

The Rogami:
A newer species that descended from Aogis. They evolved to live on Earth while Aogis are from a spirit realm. Earth is very different from the realm Aogis came from and in the long term it caused their downfall. The population of Aogis that stayed on Earth for a prolonged time was altered. Some Aogis within the population evolved though, and the population changed over time into an non-magical Earth-hardened species that resembled the original Aogi, but was very different. There are still a few Aogis to be found on Earth and there are still those that travel from their world to Earth, but they aren't as common as they used to be. To see one is said to bring good fortune.
One of your french girls by RadLavvy
Thats pretty awesome. I love species that adapt to their environment! Gives them a raw, evolutionary feel.
Haha thank you very much :) It does have a sort of primordial feel doesn't it? Makes it more wild but also more relatable somehow.

Also thanks for holding this feature event and you're pretty awesome for responding to everyone's posts. Keeping up with lots of posts and explanations like that takes some dedication.
Eh, I don't have anything better to do. This kinda brings meaning to my life right now. And I love seeing what great things people create, and hopefully helping them out.