Critique for Critique

Critique for Critique, you crit mine I'll crit yours. Please do not waste anyone's time. If you don't know what a critique is, understand right now that it is NOT a compliment. If you can't handle honest feedback on your art, do not comment here. I'm not interested in helping people who only throw fits when they find out they're not as perfect as they wanted to believe.

Kashikarefcritpls by Spudfuzz
^ Part of a larger reference sheet project for the character. Something is very much bothering me about her mid section. She's supposed to have a thick/ pronounced hourglass frame but I feel as if her mid section cuts in too much in the middle? The right hand is in an unusual position as she will be loosely holding an object later, but I appreciate pointing out technical errors in any part of the picture regardless.

Please allow me some time to get back to you, I like to think about critiques carefully before I give them. (Give me some info on what your problem is specifically, too.)
Comments10
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hello! The arms and hands don't bother me that much, but her legs do seem short, as others said. In the average human figure, the distance between the heels and the crotch equals the distance between the crotch and the top of the head. Also, no matter how much a female body resembles an hourglass, the hips are never wider than the shoulders, as they seem to be in this drawing. In fact, the hips are almost always narrower than the shoulders; if they are drawn equally wide, they might seem disproportionately wider, even if they are not. The lines of the neck from the head to the body should generally go inward or straight - the neck does not get thicker in the part near the shoulders, but it might seem to depending on perspective and position of the head. I have actually done the same in one of my works, which you will see in a little bit. I think the head should seem a bit rounder at the hairline. The shading on the ribs is a bit too strong, considering that she is not super skinny, and has voluptuous curves. A mistake which I myself have a hard time with sometimes - the leg that is folded back does not exactly seem to be doing that; it seems to be shorter than the other instead. Can't give you any advice on how to fix that though.

Her lingerie is beautifully detailed; the nose has a unique shape, which would make her silhouette profile easily recognizable - important when creating a character. Your lines are very clean, and of varying thickness. I just think it would be a bit nicer if the lines inside her hair were thinner than those outlining the shape of the hair, since the color is so light.

Hope my heavy critique helps :D Your turn:
Breakfast Time by Kristaletti
The original has a very light pink and purple background, which was hard to capture with a camera. Since I have not studied anatomy, the portrait altogether lacks a bone structure... I felt that the hair rollers do not need to look any more finished than this, since they were not the focus of the piece, but who knows, maybe some detail would've worked. Anything you think that can be improved :) Feel free to use the critique widget under the piece. :)
I think the body type you used. Good change from the usually ultra thin everyone seems to go with. Most of it seems to be correct although the neck looks a little too thick to me. It is not far off but try to thin it down just slightly. Other than that I don't know. I feel like heavier woman normally have a shorter upper body? I think that would solve the problem you are having with the midsection. 

If it isn't too much trouble. Could you critique this: Leave it to Fate Chp 1 by Crimson-Oath

It is the first chapter of my short story which is 3 chapters long. You don't have to read the rest if you don't want to. It is a Christmas themed fanfiction. In case you don't know the series, it is about a thief named Lupin who constantly escapes the arrest of Inspector Zenigata. In this fic, he recalls the first time he met Lupin and explains why the holidays are such a bad time for him.

I would really appreciate a short critique for this as most people don't bother to read literature and I want to know if my writing is exactly any good. THANKS!
Hi! I agree with the others that her legs seem a bit short compared to her whole body and that her right lower arm could be longer while her upper right arm shorter (the overall arm length seems fine to me). Your lines are very nice and clear, her lingerie is pretty, the details are very nice. I like her upper body, looks good, maybe the collar bone could be a bit more inclined, not a straight line showing where they go.

The other thing that caught my eyes is her head. The shape of her head on the top is too low, her hair should start a bit higher. The back part seems too small to me too. If you check out where her forehead starts and follow that line to the back of her head you will see what I mean. Especially where her hair divides on the side, something seems off there.
And at her forehead is her hair parted at the center of her face? If yes, then the parting could start more to the left, almost above her right eyebrow.

Her right feet and toes looks very nice, however the left feet and her toes there seem strange, is she walking?

I am not sure about the belly part so I can't comment on it.
That is all I found. Good luck making the reference sheet.

Oh and I would like not to get a crit right now, I just wanted to write down what I saw on your drawing. Maybe later I will ask for your help if that is okay with you. Have a nice day!
Thank you Adrienn, sorry for the late response. I'm considering what you said while I attempt to re-draw. She is walking, I used a photo reference to get the kinda 'creased' look on the toes. I'd point to it but I can't remember where it came from right now. Do they still look weird though? Her fringe/ bang part is off center, it starts more on the right side of her head. I suppose I should move it over even more?
Hmm, I'll give it my best shot ^.^

As for the figure I do see what you mean that something doesn't look right about the middle of your character's figure. Its either that the bust is sitting too low or that there is a sharp transition from the waist to the thighs. The main thing that stuck you to me was the legs they seem kind of short compared to the rest of the figure and the feet maybe a little too small. As for the arms I personally think you're spot on the hands look fantastic as well as the hair and face. Those are fine and shouldn't be touched in my opinion. Shoulders seem ok, the neck does seem a little wide but I don't see anything wrong with that as necks do vary in size so I don't think that an anatomy issue. Hopefully this helps you out a bit, you're a bit more advanced than me at the moment so with any critique I'd take it with a grain of salt.

As for critiques on my works? I'd say one of my recent pieces: Leona Rilieia - The Electrician (Sketch) or Leona Rilieia - Portrait - Sketch. I'm not afraid of some honest feedback, only way I'll get better :P
sorry in advance if I'm not helpful but I need to get better at giving critiques <3

The thing with hour glass figures is that they aren't common. She looks like she has more of a pear shape, where their hips / lower half are wider / fuller than their upper part. Hourglass figures are the "stereotypical" Shounen anime girl look, or more realistically, the look that was historically achieved by corsets. A bit of a fuller bust, slimmer neck, and hips and possibly slightly thinner and longer legs would help in achieving what you're looking for. In general, and hour glass figure has the bust, hips, and shoulders (shoulders may be a bit smaller than bust but not obviously so) all line up with each other with the legs slimming down past the hips / butt region.

I don't have anything in particular for you to critique, so you can choose whatever you'd like from my gallery really. Through everything, I need help with anatomy and coloring. And this is the most recent thing I've actually completed [OC] Field dresses
Not the best at critiques but I will try my best!
I think what may help is to raise the breast or make them a bit bigger; they seem to sag too much/are too low on the body for their size. I would also make the lower arm a bit long. Besides that I think she looks proportional and I can't wait to see the full reference sheet. (especially with that unique body type and color pallet)

It would be nice if you could critique this Tis Da Season|OC Art thought I do plan on making a full body picture later next week if you would rather want critique that.
Hello there!
I'm no expert, but I hope I can give you some helpful feedback.
First of all it's an "unusal" bodytype (not the super thin one), so maybe that's why it looks a bit off. She seems to be really short and quite chubby. I'd recommed to make her legs a bit longer and the head & neck smaller. Also her upper arms should be the same lenght as her lower arms. They are too long right now.
I think the character would also benefit from adding some more muscle to the base of the neck and the bump between the hip bone and the thigh bone. I hope you understand what I mean, it's hard to explain.
I made a sheet of a character with similar body type and pose a while ago. Maybe it's helpful? Charactersheet Faye

I don't have a specific picture I'm looking for critiques on right now. If you want you can crit any picture you like or none at all. I just saw this and had the urge to help. ;)