Lit review: Give me your admissions essays, poetry, etc.

I'm terribly bored of rereading my own personal statement for graduate school. It's done, I'm done, I'm tired. So give me some inspiration and get some constructive criticism in response. This thread is all about literature, but I will give priority to your essays written with admissions (at any level) in mind. I'm kind of flakey with interpersonal communication on the internet, so nothing else is guaranteed, but since I'm bored these days you will probably get at least a llama and a view. Outside of the realm of essays, I love me some poetry, but if you have short stories I will read those as well.

If you'd like to look at some of my stuff, here's my newest poem, but please don't feel obligated in any way.
  Penny Sells ApplesImpossible, incoherent, inevitable as mortality
                       violently lit-eyed,
             Penny sells apples
horrifically symbolically, pomegranates too.
Penny is the leaves’ shadows seared into,
                                            slurred across the sidewalk
             by pedestrian footsteps
permanent seasonality
She is the rain beating a tattoo into coats & briefcases & spread sheets & cell phones
                                                      lunch boxes and lust notes.
Let’s talk about anger, Penny,
let’s talk about seduction and attrition,
let’s talk about c

I suppose I should mention that I'm applying for admission to graduate school in plant biology, so my own essays are fairly niche. They're also available if you want to read someone else's - PM me!
Comments2
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In