Comments Please on My first Digital

I did this today for the new contest. It started as a traditional drawing in pencil. I then took a photo of it and edited in GIMP2. Using the tools in GIMP I completely retraced the outlines and colored it. I Did the clouds completely by hand and shaded the mountains, trees and rocks by hand.
Comments7
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Okay so I spent 13+ hours yesterday working on my 2nd piece.
It looks pretty nice especially, when I read that it is your 2nd digital piece. But I see that you are making some beginner mistakes. You are jumping into using textures, without knowing what to do. I would suggest you that you should try to paint textures yourself, after you got the values and forms down. Adding textures to an artwork is one of the last steps. You need to have finished the forms or else textures will look strange, because forms defined textures, too.

I think it is good, that you don't try to smudge the colours. You use hard brushs. That's a good start. What kind of program are you using? Is it PS, SAI or GIMP? If it is one of these, you should try to experiment with tablet pressure and the opacity of your brush. Also, don't be afraid to use more contrasts, especially when shading. And you should take a look into colour theory. Shadows aren't just a darker hue of the main colours. Mostly, dependent on the light source, shadows have a blueish hue.

It is a pretty good start and if you continue like this plus doing a lot of experiments, than you will get better soon.
I am using GIMP. However I don't have a tablet I use my mouse. I usually do traditional but when I enter a contest I have found traditional never gets pick so I am trying my hand at digital. Thank you so much for the tips. I'll keep working at it.
You could try to get you hands on a cheap tablet. A bamboo shouldn't be too expensive. It's far better than using a mouse, because you are saving a lot of time!
Colouring looks flat, and whatever is shaded is still not very noticable. The lines could be smoother, too. Not bad for a first digital, though
Okay I went back in and added some pattern brushes to the whole thing and updated my submission.