Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

Everyone likes feedback right???

:iconmsbananananner:
MsBananaNanner Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Do you get tired of people who just say "nice job" or "cool artwork"? well I do. Unlike some people I don't care if someone is honest and they tell me something in my art seems off, as long as they aren't rude of course!:) and I feel it's hard to get actual advice from people because they are too scared to hurt my feelings. well no longer!

All you have to do is put a thumbnail from my gallery with a suggestion on how I can improve and I will do the same for you with three of your pictures! The more in depth you are with suggestions the more I will be too:)

Note: I will not be rude, and even if I do not have a lot of experience with the medium or subject I will try to give helpful advice!:)

:iconmonkeyloveplz: ciao!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpoisonagency:
PoisonAgency Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist
:iconmagicalviper:
MagicalViper Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A honest comment on this one would be awesome :D

MsBananaNanner Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Read the instructions you have to pick one of mine and ill pick 3 of yours:)
:icontvlookplay:
tvlookplay Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
MsBananaNanner Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Read the instructions you have to pick one of mine and ill pick 3 of yours:)
:iconjoh29:
joh29 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Digital Artist
MsBananaNanner Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Read the instructions you have to pick one of mine and ill pick 3 of yours :)
:iconjoh29:
joh29 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Digital Artist
oups sorry ^^'
:iconnvmsodi:
NVMSodi Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Keep the good work!

And good luck with the Ipad, I have always wanted to try drawing on one of those
Hallo! Ich lerne deutsch als auch! Meine Wortschatz ist sehr schlecht >.<

so cute! I love how everything has a cute little face. :3 only thing I would change is to maybe have her looking more straight on or at rather have her eye looking towards the viewer. And her left hand seemed a bit out of proportion with her thumb being longer than her other fingers. And I really like her hair!

the hair by far is outstanding! The texture of it is perfect, very lifelike. Her right hand seems a bit small and her left arm looks a bit long, but that could just be the pose. Overall it's really great and the background is quite interesting!

this is a very lovely piece, the folds in the clothing are all so perfect I like how there aren't any creases out of place etc. and it all looks very natural! Only thing I would do is concentrate the background leaves more towards the bottom or use another shade of brown maybe, so that it makes it seem somewhat more like she is standing on ground rather than floating on the page with a border.

Thanks for participating hope I was helpful! :D
:iconmchectr:
mchectr Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist

Just, awesome.
all I would say is that her mouth and nose seem a bit faint compared to the rest so it's hard to notice them at first so if they were darker it would be easier to see. And her skin seems unnaturally pale, but that could be how the OC was, seeing as I don't k ow what she originally looked like:)

her hair just looks a bit like one piece rather than lots of individual strands. The ends of her hair are really good, I just would look more natural if the same detail continued through the rest of her hair

hmm I would say this would be super cool if you took it from the far left of the path, slightly farther ahead as the large highlight in the foreground is a bit distracting. But angled in such a way that it is almost looking down the side the left wall( those vine/trees are so cool!) and yet you can still see the depth of how far the path extends. Love the colors! Very nice!

Well I hope that was useful in some way:D
:iconmchectr:
mchectr Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
1st:
I was in a hurry in this one since it was only a request from someone, so I didn't really made it more detailed and prominent. But thanks.
2nd:
I know :iconohgodwhyplz:.... Most of the time when I draw hair they always won't end up how I want them to be.
3rd:
Yes, the foreground light is annoying. What's worse is that I amplified the effect when I was editing this in photoshop. I'll be sure to work on that on my future photographs, thanks.
:iconkuja09:
Kuja09 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i will comment on this one :D
ahaha the first thing I thought of when I saw it was of a picture of myself I took the other day with the weird webcam distortion things and it came out about like this, just with a whole lot of derp along with it XD all I would suggest would be to maybe add a glint or highlight in the eye to have a flash of light that will draw the viewer to it as well as the main focal point which is of course that crazy mouth :)

I'm not sure why I find everything humorous at the moment but I like this even if it is a sketch! I'm sure there's something behind it, but I'm content with knowing it is a big burly ape in a flower tshirt. Well as for suggestions, I'd say he needs some fur on his head and his hand looks more human like than monkey like( yes I know they are practically the same, but to me there's a difference:P)

you did really good on the skin tone especially, that is one thing I find quite difficult at times! Definitely looks realistic, I'd just lighten the iris or make the iris bigger and lighter so that there is a more defined line between pupil and iris, something much harder to do with brown eyes! (Pretty much why I almost always do blue eyes haha)

Well that was a lot of rambling haha! Hope it was helpful!:)
:iconkuja09:
Kuja09 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I totally agree with everything you said, speacially the eye, it could have been much better if it wasnt for that darker tone :/ but oh well, now i know :D
:icontheelvishdevil:
TheElvishDevil Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Commented on this one: <3
(Could you please comment on the actual image pages rather than here? Or as well as. Thank you)
I will copy them to the images soon as I get it on here:)

I love the vibrancy of the beak! Ad either you have a good zoom setting or you are amazing with with birds! Either way it's cool having it close up like that! I'd say it just needs a little more focus on the worm, not that you necessarily want to see all the details of the worm or it to be the focal point, but just enough so that its not as out of focus while it is the foremost object of the photo.

oh it's so cute! :iconsocuteplz: if anything I'd say its a bit overwhelming with the combination of color cross hatching and the background. The cross hatching just didn't quite seem to fit for me and it detracted from the oh so pretty colors

gosh all your stuff is just way too cute! The psychedelic colors on the lower one is very eye catching and I love his little almost human lower lip:) I like the ears on the lower one best and the left most drawing seemed a bit dog like to me just with the ears and angular snout. Also th upper one could use a bit of definition between what is the head versus what Is body or feet etc.

Love your stuff! Hope I was helpful:)
:icontheelvishdevil:
TheElvishDevil Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Thank you very much :heart: Your feedback was definitely helpful and I really appreciate it. ^_^
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student General Artist
I commented directly on there. Could you also try and comment directly on mine as well?
And I copied them to the pics too like you asked:)
Ah dang nabbit. It did it AGAIN. It deleted my whole comment just as I was getting it finished! *rage face* ah we'll...guess ill type it again!

while I am not necessarily a good acrylic painter, I've done a few things with it and I've used other paints along with it( mostly abstract stuff though) so ill give this a shot. I noticed in the description you said you used mixed media paper. I'd say your best bet would be to look into getting a canvas or two, or canvas boards work too, I prefer plain canvases though. It will hold up much better and you'll be able to add more layer without it mushing together or streaking etc. just be sure to put a base down first before adding color etc:)

ohh gotta love me some slendy! ;P I kinda like the simplicity of it, it's not overpowering with details. But if I'm not mistaken, but it's been awhile, I'm pretty sure he has a least somewhat of contours on his face? Either way you could always give him some shading from a light source to give him a three dimensional quality.

I can see the resemblance to the reference picture, the anatomy is pretty good! I'd just suggest extending the range of darks to lights withing the shading. So that the darks are really dark, but then the variations between shades is subtle so that it seems really natural. Also if your going for a more photorealistic then you have to be sure to not have outline markings so the easiest thing to do is just shade them in with the rest!
Hope I was useful and not completely incoherent :D my iPad has terrible autocorrect!
:iconflowerhippie22:
flowerhippie22 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
commented on this one

definitely one of your best pieces, very nice!! :D
oh this is too cute! You can really feel the movement of the piece. Only suggestion is that it looks slightly blurred (obviously cuz he's moving..I'm so smart aren't I!) but anyway I'd just suggest maybe a higher shutter speed if your camera has a higher setting. Also with slight editing of the contrast or vibrancy I think it would pull it all into focus really well :)

augh I really could not for anything pic just one! They were all my favorites! Therefore i cheated i did 4 of your pictures but they are together so i vote it counts the same as doing 3!:) The full color one is magnificent. Like a perfect wallpaper! They color is astounding. If you made the green in the half color one to be the same as the green of the grass in the first one it would make it just as eye catching as the other two. The one with just they eyes colored is super fantastic I would leave it just as it is:D the eyes don't even look real! Love it.
:iconflowerhippie22:
flowerhippie22 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
the first definitely needed a faster shutter speed....live and learn!! :)
haha glad you liked my little frogs!! they do have some awesome eyes dont they!!
thank you very much!!:D
:iconemueller:
emueller Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013

I also commented on this one :la:
so pretty! :0 all I would say is you should give the main background the same contrast as the bottom left and possible the same with the hair. That just always makes things have more depth imo.

this one I'd say the mouth and chin are a bit small in compassion to the rest of the face and the eyebrows are a bit lopsided,as one is longer and the other is higher. None of those things are too noticeable though.

I see this is one of your older works so I'm sure you've improved greatly from it anyway, but nevertheless... I think it just needs darker shadows and contrast just to make it easier to differentiate between different element of the picture. I also wasn't really sure what was on top of the pot but the roses were super cool I had to pick this one! Also huge kudos on the texture of the flower pot! Awesome!
Hope I was somehow helpful! Haha:)
:iconemueller:
emueller Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Thanks for the critiques! I always want to say thanks for choosing some of the ones with the least comments, as I never really got much constructive feedback on those. Very helpful, I appreciate it :).
:iconvisaga:
visaga Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist

Commented on this one! Cx
I really love the color on this piece! Especially how the colors of her face and hair really draw you in. While the legging are really well shaded and 3d looking, I think the scarf needs some more highlights to make it more dimensional. The extra white around the character is neat I think it just a bit distracting and makes it more like a drawing. If you cropped it out before putting it on the background I think it would make it look more realistic. Also the bokeh in the center makes it a little hard to distinguish background from the character

ahha your descriptions are cute!:) once again I love how vibrant your colors are and your choices of colors! The perspective does seem just a bit off, not bad though. The legs are too small for his body so it makes it look like he is either really tall and his feet are just that far away, or that it is at a really odd angle. His palm is a bit wide, but not bad. I just love the expression on the red bird XD

wow ok brain spaz moment. I thought the hand around the girl in greens neck was her own for a minute there. I was so confused haha! Then I saw where her hand actually was and it made so much more sense! I think the girl in blue's mouth is a tiny bit of center of her face to the left, or the right side of her face is a little too angled, other than that its freaking amazing!!,!

Hope I helped!^.^
:iconvisaga:
visaga Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
thanks for your help! C:
What do you mean by cropping the white out?
haha thanks, gonna work on perspective then.
LOL I guess I gotta fix my anatomy too! Now that I think about it, the girl in the green does look like she's choking herself XD
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist

I tried to say something useful!
I read the description so my advice for coloring would just be to up the contrast, mainly in making the darks even darker, a lot of times I just make the darks really dark, even more than I think it probably should be, just to see what it comes out as. Usually it makes the picture really pop out in the end even if it seems weird in the process. (I realize that probably made no sense)

all I would say on this one is that I think the black of the hair could be smoother and maybe the face a bit too as there are a few noticeable brush strokes going up and down on her face rather than following the contours of her face. I also think it would be cool to have the background be a slightly different shade or color than the subject, maybe having a blueish or tint in contrast to the green and teal.

dat jacket! It's so cool! I love it! Especially the spikes! Nice job! The fire could use a little work as the blurredness of it makes it feel out of focus compared To the rest of the piece. And just as a minor thing I think it would be cool to have the light source just be coming from the left so that there aren't as many light area on the right side of the jacket, so it seems more dramatic.

Hope I was helpful:3
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Some of those were older things and I'd do them differently now anyway - but it is always really interesting to hear what other people think. A different perspective can always give you new ideas to try - even if they weren't the ones intended!
:icondigitalripple:
DigitalRipple Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional General Artist
That's a tall order you're asking there missy :) It's not always easy to comment no matter how hare you try. Sometimes people just want to say something because they loved your work, but do now have the vocabulary to express their appreciation for your work. So they say things like, "Nice One" "Awesome" "Amazing". I didn't like it before either, but now a days I start to notice that people are commenting less and less. So if I had a choice I would love it if people gave me one comment posts.

If I had to choose I will have to say this one:

I chose this one because it is your best one, in my opinion, in your gallery and probably because it looks like Emma Watson, who I like very much. :)

Pros:
You have a good foundation and understanding of colouring, colour pencils are probably one of the easiest media to use however creating an effective artwork that complements the media is something not easy to do. You were able to represent the quality of the colour pencils effectively, but you could use a little more time working on this piece. Probably the best thing about this piece is the goggles. Notice the contrast of them makes it look like the centre piece of the image. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but I would say that the goggles take all the attention away from her face.

Cons:
Where I feel that this piece falls short is the contrast. Her face is very bright and it disappears in the white background (Especially since it's behind those goggles). I would suggest either darkening her face a little and bumping up the contrast of your darkest darks and her face should stand out more in the white background, and her hair could use a little work too (Not too much though). Or you can darken the background with a gradient blue that is dark from the side of her face and grows lighter as you move away. You could do this on Photoshop if you have the program to experiment on the colours. This way you don't end up destroying this really beautiful piece.

My Take Away:
I believe that this piece is something that you should be proud of, but use it as a trampoline to getting better than this one. I know from experience it is hard to not get attached to a drawing, however you should look at this piece as the one that sets the standard of how good you should become in the future and if you really want to become a better artist always remember that it's never gets to be good enough. The moment you think you're good enough, you will stop improving (unless that is what you want). Practice more and you'll be twice better than this one by the end of the year.

That's probably my say, :) I'm taking an Illustration course at Sheridan and we have to get better at critiquing. I hope it works well for you.
Ahhhh curse you deviant art! >:( it literally just closed out my tab RIGHT when I was going to post my comment. Gah. Start over then I suppose.
Also note that I feel very inadequate giving you suggestions when you are at such a higher level than me! But I'll give it my best:)
man I am such a sucker for baby dragons! The. Whole collection of these are beyond adorable! The only thing I noticed was that his snout seemed larger and a bit too predominant in the lower pose than the upper. And I also think you should definitely color them even if they are more simplistic than your other stuff:D it would be really interesting to see them in full color(and I also agre you would do really well in children's books!)
this one was really good and it was so hard to find something to improve on! Only minor things did I find. Such as while e character is in a standing position, not running moving etc, the cloak seems to be in motion still. I realize this could easily be due to someone such as wind, but nevertheless the fold in the fabric at the knees confused be for a minute there! The grass is uber cool though!
all I found on this to improve would be that the apple seems a bit too large, as it is nearly the same size as her face. Also the bitten part of it at first seemed to be something on the surface of the apple rather than and indentation, but that was probably due to the fact you didn't get to. Fully shade it:) also the ponytails didn't appear to come from her hair and were just added extra, mostly due to the angle I think.

Sorry for any misspellings ( my autocorrect is awwwwwful.) hope I was of some use here!:D
Ah I was so close... The third thumbnail should be
Haha, I knew you were talking about the Misa FanArt from what you're saying :D

You did very well with your critique. You pointed out things that even my school mates at college didn't find. The apple really is huge. I never would have noticed that if you didn`t point it out.

The cloak is something that I didn't notice either. Now that I look at it, it really shouldn't be that bright because it's behind the character. It's supposed to be like a toy Figurine. I saw a bunch of toy figurines the other day and I was inspired to try make one like it.

The Baby Dragons was a surprise to me. I never drew cute animals before and that was the first set I ever done. Plus I always wanted to get hired for a childrens book. I don't know if I'll colour these, but I definitely want to. :)

Thank you for your honest critique. People find it hard to find mistakes in people's work, because artists are typically touchy. So people get too scared. I'm glad that you were so brave to start a forum based on critiquing your work. I'm too scared to do that because I don't have a lot of confidence. I`m working on that though :)
I copied my critique onto the main image. :)
:iconhomppa:
homppa Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist

I commented directly on this one :)
first off I admire your skill at digital art:D I have just barely started and I must say it is insanely difficult O.O my advice for this one would be using either the smudge tool( I'm not familiar with PS however so it could be something else) or just through a process of more shades of each color to produce a smoother transition from lights to darks with clothing items etc.
hmm this one I would say give the subject a more definite shadow as well as maybe the car, then it will give it a lot more depth:)
my oh my this looks like a lovely place to be! Jealous! I think this would be super cool picture from a lower vantage point, for example if the camera was a foot or so off the ground, looking across the water and then to the sky and trees.

Thanks for the feedback as well hoped was helpful in some way:D
homppa Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Thanks a lot for your feedback as well!

I have also recently started digital painting, the latest one is my 5th if I remember correctly (and yeah it is insanely difficult!)... I'm very familiar with PhotoShop, but I haven't thought about smudge tool before with painting! Thanks! I just might try it next time :D
I never thought digital would be so hard, people make it look so easy! I have a lot of respect for them now haha! Your stuff is pretty good for being only your 5th one! You'll be creating masterpieces in no time! :D
homppa Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yeah everything looks easy when you know how to do it, I guess! :D
Luckily the internet is full of good tutorials to have a look at! I've found the youtube tutorials to be the best ones. You should go and have a look at them as well! :)
And thanks for the support :hug:
Add a Comment: