Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 166

Want an Illustration or Fine Art Critique? V1

:iconito-saith-webb:
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hey all, been a while since I have been to the boards and I haven't done some critiques since I got my BFA. Post one thumb and only one thumb of an illustration or Fine Art piece that you would like to have a critique on and I will give short critts on the pros and cons of your work. As a consideration, you might come by and checkout my work gallery but I don't require it in return for giving out a critique.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfavicius:
favicius Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2013   Traditional Artist
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Pros: Interesting characture design and nice exaggeration. Value range is strong and a strong amount of detail and texture. While veins usually don't form on the end of the nose it is disturbing and makes the drawing more striking.

Cons: The crows feet, why nicely exaggerated, is also over done and doesn't feel right because usually the converge at the very corner of the eye, but you are doing cartoon eyes so this makes it harder. The outside line work is fine and it has some nice variation of weight to it but bringing it inside to the eyes makes it feel inconstant. You could have also done without the outlining and used contrast to help define your image. Try reading this article I wrote on the various forms of contrast and how they can help you [link] .

I hope that helps.
:iconfavicius:
favicius Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2013   Traditional Artist
Thank you for the critique.It helps a lot. I've read your contrast article and the other ones in your blog and i really enjoyed. Thanks you very much.
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Glad you found it helpful. I do articles and tutorials a lot on that blog. I always try to update once a week in case you are interested in subscribing to the blog.
:iconwandering-stylus:
Wandering-Stylus Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist

Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Apr 18, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Pros: Color, brush and texture techniques are strong. Good mood. Good human proportions.

Cons: I think the value ranger could be a little wider on the light side. A few more plains on her face for modeling would be called for, especially around the eyes, as except for you nose her face feels a bit flat. Also while your textures looks good I think you could push them a little further.

Not going to really touch composition though because of its nature of being a test painting.
:icondenece-the-sylcoe:
Denece-the-sylcoe Featured By Owner Mar 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Apr 4, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Critique sent. I did state to only post one thumb so I only critiqued one.
:icondenece-the-sylcoe:
Denece-the-sylcoe Featured By Owner Apr 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's fine!
Sorry. ^^;
:iconpmucks:
PMucks Featured By Owner Mar 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Reference photo included for comparison.
Sorry for the delay, I had personal matters that needed attending to.

Pros: The likeness is spot on and the proportions are correct. The value range is decent and the texture of the freckles are excellently done.

Cons: Even though I think that the hair is well done it seems very rough in it's application. I also think that you could have had one more lighter shade to you value range just for that extra little punch.

Hope that helps.
:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Mar 25, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Sorry it appears that your image doesn't exist anymore. If you have re-posted it as a new deviation then please submit it for critique on this thread again. Sorry for the delay, had personal matters to attend to.
:icon23mc-studio:
23MC-Studio Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Sorry for the lateness of the reply but I had to take care of some personal matters.

Pros: Interesting design and the concept is clear in what you are trying to convey. Interesting pattern on the background.

Cons: You are using way too much white and this is giving the piece an over exposure feel and it is also obscuring detail. Pure white and black are very powerful and can flatten out your image.

Hope that helps.
:iconharusame:
harusame Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Sorry for the late reply but often I have to take of personal matters.

Pros: The style of the painting has a strong children's book feel to it. The compositional placement is well done with a nice strong focus. The atmosphere on the whole feels very cozy and the detail level is at a strong level which just adds to this atmosphere which say warm and safe.

Cons: You are using some line work for this which is fine for a children's book illustration but it feels sloppy or too thick in areas here and there. Lastly the light on her leg from the fire is too dark and should be lighter.

Something that you might try instead of using the water color to do you line work is to use color pencil. You can use it before or after and it won't ruin your work. The wax from prisma colors will repel the watercolor but using it on top would be better. You can also use the color pencil to add texture or hit rim lighting like what you were trying to do with her leg.

Hope that helps.
:iconharusame:
harusame Featured By Owner Apr 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
No worries, thank you for taking the time to critique my work,

Thats great! I never thought of using the colored pencil to
punch up the highlights!
What with how tiny my paintings are, I think thats a great tip,
the outlines will be so crisp :D

Thank you so much!
M.G.
:iconsigbjornpedersen:
SigbjornPedersen Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Pros: Strong composition with great flow, mood and energy. I like the texture you create through your brushstrokes, especially on the sea serpent and water.

Cons: I think your shadows could be cooler in color instead of just a shift in value.

Hope that helps and fun piece.
SigbjornPedersen Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Thank you Ive gotten critique from you before and you allways give really good critiques!

about the shadows, yeah I kinda tried that, I added purple to it to get alittle bit more color, but its not so much that it looks purple, cause I got so strong reds in it compared to the low saturation the purple have. I know purple isnt a really cold colour, but I think it was abit hard to balance it right with a cooler color, and i didnt want to end up with a painting with too much colour differences so I ended up with this I think its pretty good, im happy with it. I tried that stuff you said but I just couldnt get it to fit right maybe I will next time, I think a few more pieces and i will get that stuff better.

Thank you, your advices is very helpful you are really good at art critique!
Did a quick paint over for you [link] What I did is I went into curves first lighten the contrast a bit in the darkest parts as they were approaching black. Then I created a new layer over that, set it to multiply and started throwing in blue/green for some of the shadows of the sea and the boat. Around the dragon's eye I brought in a light purple on the same multiply layer and some green into the sea. When choosing your shadow color it is generally a safe bet to bring in a color compliment or analogous compliment color; I tend toward the latter. Which is why I chose blue/green to sneak that color in there and purple for around his eye. I did this really quickly just to illustrate the difference. Hope that helps.
SigbjornPedersen Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Thank you very much!!! That is awesome, and I just learned a great way to get more colours into the painting!
Its not huge changes you made, but no doubt a good improvement it all came together so well now.

I just looked up color compliment and analogous compliment color, and the last thing is actually what I was going for it seeems, since I added purple so I was atleast in the right direction in picking secnodary colour:)

Im gonna do these changes today on my artwork and I will remember that from now on, no doubt.

again that you very much, really helpful stuff I sure learned a thing or two from you this time aswell Im glad someone takes time to teach us how to be better!
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Your welcome and glad it helped!
SigbjornPedersen Featured By Owner Mar 23, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
heres the final version after your advice I think its alot better now!
SigbjornPedersen Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
ups pressed add comment too early, I was just gonna say here is my newest.
:iconsimple-minds:
simple-minds Featured By Owner Mar 20, 2013  Hobbyist
Just done:
Pros: Strong profile and good proportions of the face. The value range is great and the hair has nice flow with lots of overlap.

Cons: Even though you show some good hard and soft edges to your shadows I think you can make some of the edges a bit harder. The only other thing I would advise is to create more contrast between his face and the ground. Try reading this article I wrote about contrast [link] and you might find it useful and helpful.
simple-minds Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013  Hobbyist
Thanks very much for a fantastic crit! I had difficulty creating contrast with this one in regard to the background and his face. Maybe I'll try texturing the background to contrast with the smoothness of his face. Somebody else suggested that I make the edges of his coat harder. It sucks when everything smudges all the time, even with a tissue on the page, and I did his coat first. I did his face last, for that reason.

Thanks for the link, even though I'll have to ponder over some of the content for practical application. Never had any training.

I enjoy doing hair, glad you like it! :D
Your welcome.

If you are having trouble with smudging try using a piece of typing paper to rest your hand on instead of tissue. You might also experiment with spray fixatives in stages. Another problem with smudging could also be do to dust of the medium you are using. Get that air in a can and instead of using your breath use that, because it is stronger and drier than your breath. Getting rid of the loose medium will help reduce smudging. Laying a piece of paper over your work and padding down over it evenly so that it picks up the loose medium.
simple-minds Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013  Hobbyist
I don't use my breath for the simple reason I have chronic allergies. I tend to lightly brush a tissue to get rid of any pencil bits/ eraser bits, and sometimes my little finger (I know, this is bad). Any spray fixtures you would recommend? I heard some disturb the drawing/painting.

I'm gonna try your lay the paper suggestion; thank you. :)
Not really, gone digital so I haven't worked with that stuff for a while now so it is experiment thing. Looking up reviews might help though
:iconoutsidelogic:
outsidelogic Featured By Owner Mar 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks for offering to do critiques. I've read your comments below and am looking forward to some insights. I've had no formal training so it's always good to hear comments from a knowledgeable source.
Pros: The poses are great and have good weight to them which feels natural. The concept is really fun and it would be really neat to have an actually candle holder like this. You understanding of light shadow and form is very strong and you even have color to your light. Great choice of the background color versus the their green muted skin. Although I am going to say get away from the outlines I am glad to see that you have varied weight to your line work.

Cons: While your lit areas of your forms have a nice warm color to it, your shadows however do not. Shadow has color to it just as much as light does. I would suggest you check out my tutorial in one way to approach this. [link] I think that you could do wonders with this the techniques I show in it based on what I see from this piece. Lastly I think you could have more texture going on to show contrast of material between the background, their skin, the candles and their loin cloths. Take a look at this article and that should help you out a lot as well. [link]
outsidelogic Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You have no idea how nice it is to get a very informed critique like this. Color is certainly not my strong point, so I appreciate your comments about achieving better shadows with color. And the point about texture differences was pretty much an "aha" moment for me. I'm new to this digital painting thing (if you look at gallery, most of it is done in either black and white or very limited colors, and most of it is primarily traditional), and I've never even really thought about textures. I really like your article on contrasts, and I will make time to watch the other videos this weekend...in fact, I'll probably troll around your blog for a bit.

Not a big fan of lines? I sort of like the look of strong contour lines, although I struggle with it myself.

Thanks again for the thoughtful critique. I want to go to art school!
If you do go to art school I am sure you be a star student. For the blog thing I am all for more traffic to my blog and I have trying to get people to comment on my articles as this helps raise my own visibility. I would suggest clicking on the circle following things because then you will get notices of when I have a new blog. I will in the future also add an index for all the tutorials I have done and will do in the future.

For the linework, I am not against it but I generally feel that it stylized, which is fine but the level that you can render your shadows at I think it flattens out an image and I have been told that myself by others for my own work. Sometimes it can be done but it has to be just the right balance.
outsidelogic Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I just subscribed to your blog (signed up for email updates). I still want to spend some time going through all your posts. Thanks. Your advice has been helpful. I've already shared the bit about contrast in textures with several people.
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Apr 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Thank you and I am glad that you found the information helpful. I will be doing more posts in the future. Usually I try to do one a week but things can get in the way.
:iconkierantpeterson:
KieranTPeterson Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist

Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Pros: A lot of dedication to detail and concept. The idea is interesting and horrific.

Cons: A little to heave of just one texture and so some detail gets lost. We define what we see by what we can differentiate try reading this article I wrote about the different forms of contrast [link] and I think it will help you and you might find it interesting.

Hope that helps.
:iconkierantpeterson:
KieranTPeterson Featured By Owner Apr 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
This was actually super helpful, it has helped me investigate other artists and illustrators I use for inspiration much more efficiently.
:iconoosdesign:
oosDesign Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Critique given.
:iconshadowbt:
ShadowBT Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Heres mine:

and of course I'll check out you're gallery =).
Pros: Interesting character design and decent local color pallet.

Cons: Pose feels unnatural with the wrists breaking down like that to much. Try doing that in a mirror and you will find that it really cannot be done. The placement of the scythe feels wrong and it goes against the flow of your composition. Try reading my article and compositional placement on my art blog [link] and that should help you out some. Lastly you are shading only with value of a color and not having color to your light or shadows. Shadow and light have color to them with light being warm and shadow being cool. Check out this other article I wrote and that should help. [link]

Hope that helps.
:iconshadowbt:
ShadowBT Featured By Owner Mar 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
alrigth thanks a lot for all of the help I will be looking intoo does articles and trying to improve my weak points.
:iconlucahennig:
LucaHennig Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Pros: Overall good proportions on the face but without seeing the reference can't tell more. Nice dramatic lighting with cast shadows from the glasses.

Cons: Unless I am mistaken for how you have lit this drawing to take the photo of it, I feel there is very little mid tone value range.
:iconemark4:
emark4 Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for critiquing our artwork. Can you provide some feedback on my Brochure piece that will be part of my 1st graphic design portfolio? Its "advertising" the X-Men school.

This is only the first part of it. I have a link to the back of it as well if you like to look at it. Thanks.
Ito-Saith-Webb Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Pros: General layout seems straight forward and it is easy to read. Color scheme is more or less true to the X-Men. Has a nice school like feel to it.

Cons: Xaiver's school was originally suppose to have the cover of a normal prep school for the gifted and showing them in uniform as the X-men and being mutants goes against this. Having them in the group portrait in normal clothes, but the same faces, would give a more authentic feel. While you color scheme is fine I having and additional color in your lay out might be helpful. Perhaps some black bands in addition to the gold. For the embalm, I think that if you made it look like it was an actual gold emblem that you might have a better look.

Hope that helps.
Add a Comment: