Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 92

Get Critiqued and Commented by DA's Most Controversial Artist

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
i am giving critiques and comments. I am one of DA's most controversial artists because of my puritan views and shocking painting style. I honestly think I am the most underrated artist on DA. To get commented by my post a TRADITIONAL piece. I will comment based on my own discretion.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icon50lbhead:
50LbHead Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional General Artist
underrated on DA overrated in your mind
:iconn0xi0us--glitch:
N0XI0US--GLiTCH Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
PFFFT how egotistic...
:iconnonamenonamenonamepl:
Nonamenonamenonamepl Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
My Fairly Oddparents fanfic Finale:

[link]
:iconmikimikimchi:
mikimikimchi Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional General Artist
not exactly all traditional but i was aiming it to like one so i hope this get's accepted for the critique. fingers crossed. :meow:
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
ill give it a shot!

you can wrack up more views on your gallery by joining groups, contests, and of course the thumbnail gallery. I personally dont think your controversial compared to the artists ive seen on the forums in the years
:iconcantpickaname735:
CantPickaName735 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
:iconjonathanjo:
Jonathanjo Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
a new work again =)
:iconambientdream:
ambientdream Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
lol what a way to get people's attention :rofl:
:iconjonathanjo:
Jonathanjo Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
:iconmohamadkaaki:
MohamadKaaki Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
:iconloveleekiss:
LoveLeeKiss Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
Illastrat critiques good work like this person critiques hot girls [link]
:iconharvisingh:
HarviSingh Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Big ego. I think you need to calm down a bit mate
:iconb-nicolet:
b-nicoleT Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Writer
Dude, seriously, humility is a really great virtue. Try showing it more and you'll probably become a lot more popular. You're not DA's most controversial artist. You're a person with a big ego, reasonable skill, and a tremendous lack of people skills. You said in one of your comments that you think you're in the top 10% of artists on here...what the heck are you basing that on? Was there some poll the rest of us missed out on or something? I don't think that's even a thing that is possible to rank. Right now it seems to me that the only reason you are posting your work on here or even commenting on anything is for attention. Just chill out and try being humble once in a while.
:iconfaerie-s:
Faerie-s Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Oh em geeee, you're the most controversial person ever! And you're artwork, I mean, woooow sugoi desu. you manage to make rough paintings with basic skill. super amazing desu

-_-
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Writer
Have you ever watched the show Shark Tank or Dragon's Den?

Basically, it's about these people who come up and present their business ideas to wealthy investors, the "sharks" or the "dragons", and then the "sharks" analyze these peoples' business ideas and tell them straight up if it's a good idea or a bad one. If it's a really good idea, sometimes the "sharks" decide to invest money in that person's business.

If you watch the show, you will see them turn down excellent business plans and good products just because the guy presenting it, the guy with the idea, is a huge douchebag and difficult to work with.

You're like one of those guys--your art isn't bad, but your attitude is.

Also, there's no controversy surrounding you, the community as a whole seems to have agreed on an opinion, and it isn't a positive one.
:iconnicolasjolly:
nicolasjolly Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
:iconchesneykeegan:
ChesneyKeegan Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
:iconiigmiir:
iigmiir Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:))
:icontb8s:
TB8S Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:iconoxxyjoe:
OxxyJoe Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
I really appreciate your style. Self criticism is what most artists experience as controversy, but what you present is refreshing. Pointillism is something I haven't done in a while...

:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Search his name in the forum, your option will change lickity split.
Xadrea Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Oh crud...I meant opinion XD I gotta stop using my phone to browse dA.
Lol! I can relate. I consider myself a grammar nazi, and when I make typos on my Iphone that I can't undo.... it makes me go insane!
Xadrea Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
damn you autocorrect:shakefist:
:iconaguide:
AGuide Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Well you're a piece of work o.o
:iconphilliewig:
Philliewig Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist

Hit me with your best shot.
You missed his last one where he said I was clueless about art because I'm a Christian drone and chinese people eat dogs.
:iconphilliewig:
Philliewig Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Wait wha? :O
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional General Artist
well I was critiquing A piece of his (hehe) And then he randomly said my art was horrible because I am a Christian drone and all Christians are brainwashed.

And later I said "just because you're not a chef doesn't mean you can't tell when something is burnt" Making the point that just because you're bad at art doesn't mean you can't acknowledge flaws. Then he responded with "but just because you would never eat dog doesn't mean Chinese won't relish it. Same "
:iconsana24:
sana24 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
this seriously just made my day...
:iconspurs06:
spurs06 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
From what I gather from a glance, you're a beginner at painting. For the short amount of time you've been painting your brushwork style is impressive, and looks pleasing. 

Your current biggest weakness is your drifting proportions and perspective. Look at the Rembrant portrait; the mouth isn't centred under the nose, and the nose is closer to one eye than the other. The overall effect is to make his face look slanted and warped. Your Acrylic Portrait has the same problem; draw an imaginary line from the near eye to the far eye, see how it's slanted? Now look at the mouth; the line of the mouth is at a flatter angle, whereas it should share the same angle as the eye-line. It's measurements like this that you need to take extra notice of, as getting the wrong will make the whole painting look off, no matter how beautifully it's painted. :meow:
spurs06 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I haven't been painting long. On and off for a about two years. Thanks for your honest critique.
I spend a lot of time trying to get the proportions right but they always end up the same :-)
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
No problem, your skill is evident. :nod: Have you tried doing construction lines on faces?
spurs06 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Thank you :-) No I haven't tried construction lines. I'll have to have a read up on it and give them a try.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
They're pretty simple, and I've actually started using them again to help speed up my work. Basically, one draws a vertical line down the middle of the face, and all facial features are centred on this line, which avoids the drifting of features one sometimes sees.

Then one draws the horizontal eye-line (halfway between the chin and top of the head), and the mouth-line around halfway between the eye-line and chin. The ears then fit between the eye and mouth lines, generally being roughly the same height and level as the nose.

How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way has a clear breakdown of many of these rules, and although geared toward drawing comics is an incredibly useful general drawing book. :la:
spurs06 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Thank you very much for explaining. I have got How to draw comics the marvel way but i haven't look at it for years, Ill have to read it again.
Xadrea Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
The response he gave you is an opinion, not a critique, I'd be more than happy to give you a crit :D
Thanks, it would be very helpful .
Xadrea Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
To start off with I'd like to talk about your use of color. You seem to have a solid understanding of all of the tonal variations that occur in skin, and you make strong decisions about using arbitrary color as well (well placed ochres and greens). Light is captured well in those works too. And lastly, your brushwork gives otherwise sterile portraits a sense of energy and interest. Kudos to you on those points because they can be tough to grasp in painting! However, you should definitely work on your anatomy and measurements. The Bill Murray portrait has the most natural looking facial proportions, but your Rembrandt portrait is slightly tilted. This is a common mistake that can happen if you're either working flat as opposed to using an easel, or if your under drawing had some mistakes. His mouth looks as if it's shifted a bit too far from under his nose and not in line with the eyes. The corners of the mouth generally end at the same point as the pupils of the eyes. This can get a tad tricky if you're painting someone at a slight 3/4 view as you have here. Also, there's a bit of mis-symmetry in his cheekbones (right side as opposed to left) that also lends a bit of confusion.

The best solution to getting better at proportions while painting is to get a good drawing down, then re-check, and re-measure as you go along :) Keep up the good work!:heart:
Thanks very much for replying in such detail. Very helpful :-)
Xadrea Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
you're welcome :hug: best of luck with your painting ^ ^
:iconoxxyjoe:
OxxyJoe Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
I think these are excellent, but the photo quality does suffer.
:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
you are decent. i want to say paint thicker but i don't have a problem with how you are painting now. Decent style.
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student General Artist
Critique me bro.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
You're controversial because you're a pretentious dick. Your artwork has nothing to do with your reputation. 
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Yeah I think controversy implies that the public is in disagreement about him and we all seem to agree that he’s a douchebag.
LOL!
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
That is something we can all indeed agree upon. :stare:
Add a Comment: