Testing and experimenting!

So!
I wanna see the different experiments, tests and practices people do :)
Have you been trying out a new technique, a funny approach or a completely new style in art then I'd like to see the results of that!
This thread is almost as much a self-reflecting post thing as much as it's a kinda guide for others (and me) to find some new techniques to help improve their own art.

So if you could write what "new" technique or style you've tried out, and what you "usually" do instead in your post as well as the thumbnail itself it would be lovely! :heart:

I hope this isn't written too complicated! xD

Well here's my newest test:

What I did that I usually don't do:
:bulletred:Painting on one layer
:bulletred:Picking colors from existing canvas (abstract painting on a canvas)
:bulletred:Abstract colors
:bulletred:No lineart
:bulletred:Anonomous face
:bulletred:Painting it all in one go
Comments91
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I did a test style on this one trying to get a "vectorized" look through traditional means
I tried again on this one but it didn't turn out as well :(
normally I just do soft blended shading
Thank you very much for posting! :)

tried hatching and darkening contrast :)
tried out new style too :)

thank you

working with perspective and warping it for more effect

I tried a a different set of setting on the Ink tool (GIMP). I set the Adjustment Size to 1, and Sensitivity size to 0.8. everything else was set to 0 and the nub was unchanged. My lineart.

Usually my linearting is with the Path tool, the paintbrush, or the Ink tool with close to the standard settings.
<---------- (Scanned) Adjusted the levels so that I could paint digitally directly instead of creating a new lineart - hand-drawing the lineart will often give a very smooth and natural look while digital often can look pointy.
<---------- Reduced the amount of layers to work on 2 for the skin instead of several, allows for a lot better blending.
<---------- Newest deviation: used fairly soft light with the specific source from the monk's left side.

Different department

<---------- Tried to make a more proper animation mini movie by allowing myself to take more time to make the frames (as the animation is basically a lot of frames). 280 frames and about 35 seconds long but it still took me three days (as the 280 frames were all drawn and coloured)
Here we go, with my newest:

New things I did for this piece:
:bulletblue: Made a 1,000 mile round trip just for this one spot.
:bulletblue: Climbed a massive bridge.
:bulletblue: Worked on eliminating flare when I have several lights large enough to be classed as stars pointing at the camera.
:bulletblue: Dangled feet over large drop.

All in all, a positive experience of pushing the boundaries :)
Very impressive! :D The story for this piece is quite interesting :)

I tried to fake some "light leaks" in the editing process... Advices?

I tried out a more "heavy" digital darkroom editing (I usually don't edit architechture and parks photography very much... only the minimum to be pleasant to see)
I sadly have no idea what light leak is but it seems very interesting!

The last photo is amazing!
It looks like it's painted :)

Thank you for the feedback! :hug:
You're very welcome! :)

I make glitch art. But I usually only use one program at a time to edit images. I've been experimenting with using multiple programs, producing a kind of meta-glitch, if you will.
Very interesting photo!
Looks like those :iconblankstaretvplz: on the tv :) (oh the nostalgia)
I'm not familiar with the term "glitch-art" so this was very enlightening! :)
Never doing that one again:
I printed Vitruvian Man by Da Vinci from Wikipedia, I took some semi-transparent paper and traced everything (traditionally) and then altered it (also traditionally). It requires time and patience and pretty much everyone can do it... I usually draw everything myself, but I wanted something like this done by me. (This is actually an older one, nowadays, I digitally retrace my sketches.)
I found out how to animate in 3D with my 2D animation program! Am I abusing my program? I don't care.
Haha :D
That's pretty neat! :D
I'm working on animating in photoshop :3 It's harder than it should be xD
Thanks and yes, it is enormously hard!
Why oh why couldn't it be easier? :XD:
Yeah, we need something we can tell "do this for me" and *pop* aaaaaanimation! Nah, it wouldn't be art any more, would it?
No it wouldn't... But it would be so easy! :XD: