December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Would like some feedback on artwork.

:iconmisslysiak:
misslysiak Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hey guys,

I have been doing portraits for nearly a year now and was looking for some ways to improve them. It is much harder to see faults in your own work rather than in others, for some strange reason, probably because you don't want to see the faults in your work.

I also need some ideas on who I should draw next, because I have been having some trouble thinking of something.

If you could take five minutes of your time to help me, it would be really nice, and I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Rosa.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconobakedreams:
ObakeDreams Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I must ask you something before: have you decided a precise "road" where your style should lead to?

I'll explain why I asked so. Your style looks like a mixture between a more "comic" or at least "creative" style and a photorealistic one. Which isn't bad at all.

This is a good example of the "creative" side, versus

Attempts to go after a more definite realism.

I think you should work on this mixture. It's a peculiarity of yours, and if studied and improved it can lead you to something not many "whoa wonderful" artists here can achieve: Being original.

I'll teach you an easy trick to see faults in your work: scan it and mirror it on screen. Prepare to panic.
It's actually harder to see faults in your own works when the eye is "affectionate" to a precise set of shapes.
Pausing from the work and looking back at it after some months could also do the trick: you'll immediately find a lot of things you want to tinker with and you actually have in mind how to improve them :D
Mirroring or waiting some days only would be faster tho.
misslysiak Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks, that are some good tips. I tried the mirror thing and it was pretty helpful.
Thank you.
:iconobakedreams:
ObakeDreams Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My pleasure! Can't wait to see the result :)
:iconlexi247:
Lexi247 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Hiya :D If you don't mind I'll help critique you, and perhaps give some suggestions. Now lets see, where to start.

Now overall, you have a good concept going on, and great shading. I would say two of your best portraits are of Scarlett Johansson and Zoe Carter. However, may I suggest practicing lips more? There are lip tutorials floating around the internet; practice makes perfect!

Ideas? How about some people of the past :) John Lennon, Jim Morrison, Freddie Mercury, the list could go on and on.

Good luck :)
misslysiak Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thank you. I will look at some lip tutorials. They are pretty hard to draw, especially if the picture is not a high quality one. But I'm sure that with practice, even if the picture is not high quality, I will know how to draw them properly.
Thanks.
:iconlexi247:
Lexi247 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
You are very welcome!
Add a Comment: