Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 2

Can anyone give me a tip?

:iconslendykitten:
Slendykitten Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
I drew Dark Link a while back and I just keep looking at it and I think I really need to improve on the hair.

Here it is

I know you might say that practicing over and over would help, but I'd like to know different techniques if that makes sense.

Thank you if you reply. ;-;

And sorry if this might be in the wrong place.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfuee:
Fuee Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   General Artist
Well for one thing, it looks like his head is turned at a 3/4 angle, but his face is almost dead straight, save for his nose, which is also around 3/4. And that difference throws everything else off.

Anyway, about the hair- instead of reversing your lines to create points in it, try to create those points by going in the same direction, keeping in mind how hair actually falls and what it looks like from the angle you're going for, and that in Link's case, since his hat sits fairly far back on his head, he has more hair than just the front falling about.

Using Creepy Link for an example:

Red is what would be "popping out" of his hat, or sticking up as straight hair often does in the front. Blue is what lays flat, or flatter, pressed down by the hat. And green is his sideburn things, which at a 3/4 angle, you really would only see one of unless they're either particularly long (like Creepy Link's) or swept forward, in which case you still wouldn't see much of the one on the other side of his head. And all of his hair is drawn in relatively sweeping lines going in whichever direction each part of his hair is supposed to go. Doing this, you should get less triangle clusters or "chunks" and a closer to natural look.

So I guess that's the technique suggestion, and my other point is to take consideration of where things are supposed to be in relation to other things (in this case, hairline in relation to hat, and both in relation to hair). Also practice, of course.

Hope this helps.
:iconslendykitten:
Slendykitten Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Thank you for the advice!
Add a Comment: