Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 114

Show me your Fantasy/RPG artwork! Comments, Critiques, etc.

:iconthesis-d:
Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi! My last thumbshare thread was a huge success, and it had lots of people engaging, conversing, and commenting eachother! I'd like to duplicate that success here too! :)

Show me your fantasy artwork (any medium is fine, but no literature please) With a genre as vast as fantasy, I'm hoping to see some incredibly diverse artwork uploaded here! Also, tell me what got you into fantasy style artwork, and what you enjoy drawing the most! :)

Mine:

RULES:

- Please limit your post to 5 thumbs.

- You MUST comment in my actual deviation(s) first. This is both to prove that you've read the rules and also to let me know to comment on your work. Artists that post here that do not give feedback will be ignored.

- As far as comments, you get what you give. If you want thorough/sincere/engaging comments, then its only fair you do the same for me. Lets make this worth everyone's while so we all benefit! :)

- If you also want a critique, choose ONE of your thumbs and enlarge it so I know which one. One critique per commenter. Critiques do not need to be returned if you do not want.

Now lets see what you have! :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhoshinodestiny:
HoshinoDestiny Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Commented. Thank you for sharing. :)
:iconfieryennigma:
FieryEnnigma Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist

I think these count as fantasy ^^; I'm happy I saw this thread though, I've recently drawn a few pictures of a character I created recently that would fit beautifully here, and I keep forgetting to put them up. As a random side note though, how do you enlarge thumbnails?
Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You use this code- :bigthumb: and after thumb you the thumb code. So for example :bigthumb1212121212 : but without spaces.

Glad you found the thread, then,. :)
:iconfieryennigma:
FieryEnnigma Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oooh, thanks a lot!!:)
Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You're welcome. :)
:iconthemoonmonkey:
TheMoonMonkey Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional General Artist
:iconashurag:
AshuraG Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My newest ones are these:

How do I enlarge one of my thumbs?=_=
I want a critique on the B&W one.
You use this code- :bigthumb: and after thumb you the thumb code. So for example :bigthumb1212121212 : but without spaces.
AshuraG Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ah, thanks alot! Yay, learned something new! :D
I've known about it for some time, but never use it and so forgot about it again. People keep asking me how to do it, so I wasn't the only one who didn't know how at first.

The only reason I don't like using them normally is because its sort of distracting. Obviously, everyone is going to want their pictures to be bigger, but it just means more scrolling another person has to do. Its more considerate to just enlarge the ones you want people to focus on, or, in this case, the ones you want critiques on.
AshuraG Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thatīs true.
:iconaslinescometogether:
AsLinesComeTogether Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
my most procrasturbated tree, my awesome leech, and my former pillar reinterpreted as a twin-serpent <3 i kinda messed up with my tree by uploading the prelighting-edited version but it's probably fine lol. i really love my leech and hope the 13 people that viewed it so far find it as epic as i do! xD

(like 5th time retyping this i've literally memorized it x_x to hell with the double-posting! ><)
AsLinesComeTogether Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
my most procrasturbated tree, my awesome leech, and my former pillar reinterpreted as a twin-serpent <3 i kinda messed up with my tree by uploading the prelighting-edited version but it's probably fine lol. i really love my leech and hope the 13 people that viewed it so far find it as epic as i do! xD

(like 5th time retyping this i've literally memorized it x_x to hell with the double-posting! ><)
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist

You're really nice for offering this!
Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not doing anything that thousands of others aren't already doing on this forum, but thank you. :XD:
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I guess what got me into fantasy art is the ability to put in whatever you want :lol:

I like drawing cats and birds the most.
:iconichikawamichinari:
IchikawaMichinari Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Yes I know his hand is too small in the first one...I knew that before anyone pointed it out, but I don't want to redraw it yet. I certainly might redraw it in the future, when I feel that I have visibly improved again. This is the third time I've redrawn this page since I first made it a year and a half ago. (It's a good thing I love drawing Justice). ^^ And yes I know one of his ears doesn't connect as well as the other one too. ^^ Why do I always see my mistakes after inking? D:

So anyway I usually know what mistakes I've made and I usually don't like critiques unless the person critiquing my work can tell me exactly how to fix something that is wrong and it is something I don't know how to fix already. Like specifically...in the last thumb, I want to learn how to place the arms in the profile (the ones in the pocket) more effectively. I think I am doing it wrong, but I am not quite sure how to fix it. Do I make the upper arm more straight and then kind of level/angle the lower arm towards the body? If you have any tips on that problem, that would be awesome. ^^ Besides the anatomy...or the placement of the panels (which I am not going to change even though it is not a dynamic placement...I find those confusing to read, especially when made by amateurs) I'd like to know what you think about the character design and characterization (though you might not be able to do that last yet since it is only a couple of pages).

Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I commented, and hopefully you'll see what I'm talking about when you analyze it yourself.

To be honest with you though, I think you need to move on and draw more pages to keep things fresh, instead of trying to fix every little thing and let your comic stagnate. Its clear from your comment here, that you're frustrated and want to try and moderate what people will tell you by saying you already know this or that, or don't like critiques in general, etc. You're limiting people's ability to help you and you're fixating over the same panels and same art in those panels.

I'm not one to talk, since I was producing a doujinshi, and long periods of time passed between pages (not due to art complications, but me just having a lot on my plate), before I decided to move on to other projects, but one thing I did not do, was get overly fixated to the point that the project was not going anywhere.

You said this is the third time you've worked on this since a year and a half ago...I think this is a sign you need to move on and create more pages. Professionals and amateurs alike are not doing themselves any favors by babysitting a page for too long. I think a year and a half for one or three pages is too much.

That's just my advice, and I hope it can help you.
IchikawaMichinari Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Actually I finished this manga a year and a half ago. Just drew it straight through. As I got some better drawing-wise though I wanted to redraw it. There are only a handful of pages that will be drawn more than twice. It's something I've always wanted to do, even when I was drawing it the first time because I was pretty unhappy with how it turned out artwise. Especially upsetting was that my characters didn't look anything like they were supposed too. At least this time they are pretty darned close. ^^

As for not liking critique...that's just me. I'm very sensitive especially when it comes to my art and I don't like people nit-picking at it. I know I have a lot of growing to do as an artist and I don't want it constantly pointed out to me. Usually I know what mistakes I've made anyway. Now if I specifically want help on a certain drawing, then I will ask...otherwise I just don't like critiques. I know the people making them are trying to be helpful, but that doesn't change the way I feel.
:iconindiron:
Indiron Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
:iconjonathanjo:
Jonathanjo Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
This the only fantasy images I have and they're getting near 3 years old now but I still love them. I tried to be provocative with her style.
I will let you know what I think on yours in a few

Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Commented. Thank you for sharing. :)
IchikawaMichinari Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
Can I comment on a different deviation of yours?
Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you mean for the purposes of this thread, I would prefer the comment to go to the picture I posted, since I obviously posted it for this thread and want to draw attention to it specfically, not my other work. If, for whatever reason, you don't feel comfortable commenting to my deviation, sure, you can choose something different, but the same rules here will apply to those pictures as well and you'll need to post your own. :)

In the future, though, try not to make a habit of asking that question if you're not willing to comment to whatever is presented to you unless you have reason to believe the artist doesn't mind switching it up; some other artists may or may not appreciate it. Just a heads up. :)
:iconjontorresart:
jontorresart Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
:iconayanematrix:
AyaneMatrix Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist

It's pretty funny to think that this is probably one of the few pieces in my gallery that are actually fantasy related. :lol:
Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Commented. Thanks for posting.

You know, the thing is, I think most people have drawn fantasy and don't even know it because of how they're labeling it. Some people think fantasy is purely elves, dragons, wizards, warriors, etc; you know, D&D elements. The truth is, though, that fantasy is really just about making a story or character that comes from a heavily imagined fantasy realm. The issue people have is in their perceived definition of the word. I would say many anime shows and mangas are fantasy novels, even if they are not marketed as such, simply because they use fantasy elements, like mythical creatures, supernatural powers, etc.

True, fantasy is known best by the archetype it falls under, but I think the real essence of what it is is much broader than that.
:iconayanematrix:
AyaneMatrix Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for the comment man! :) I really appreciate it!

And yeah, I probably have a few things that fit that category, but never really considered them fantasy for whatever reason. :shrug: Though, it's pretty easy to overlook things of that nature when you're not sure.
Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You're welcome. Its not as if there is a penalty for uploading if you're not sure; even DA would just send your art to a different category if they didn't feel it belonged there. I think where it is an issue on this site is how you market it. If you're calling it fantasy when its the least to do with any fantasy element, then its using the term as a buzz word. Sort of like how people use the tag system for things that are not in their art but will get their art more views because people use those search terms.
:iconfuee:
Fuee Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   General Artist
I don't do much fantasy that isn't fanart of some sort, unless weird mutated-looking things fall under the umbrella.

Commented. Thanks for posting. :)

As I just told another poster, I think that fantasy is actually more broad in scope than we tend to think it is; we typecast it as that genre with elves, warriors, wizards, monsters, etc, and anything that is not that isn't fantasy...when, in actuality, if you're using supernatural powers, elements, story telling, etc, that too is fantasy. I think the issue people have is the mental imagery commonly associated with the definition of fantasy; some do not necessarily get past the image to incorporate mediums that use the same themes.
:iconspontainy:
Spontainy Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I just want more people to give me advice on how to improve
:crying:

Thesis-D Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd be happy to, but please obey the rules first. :)
Spontainy Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Interface Designer
^^;
My bad. I'm normally pretty good about this kind of stuff but I was getting ahead of myself yesterday. I added a comment to your work and also followed you because You have some great stuff in your gallery!
No problem. :) I had said I would ignore people who didn't obey the rules, and there are a handful of those people already, but you're different because you're not just posting and leaving, you're asking for help, and I would feel bad leaving you hanging.

And there was no need for you to watch me, but thank you for doing so! :)
I just want more people to give me tips to get better
:crying:
OH GOD Sorry for the double post Dx
AsLinesComeTogether Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
i guess there wouldn't be much of a point in me posting again here just yet xD i'll probably swing by once i upload my leech and tree though ;) hope this thread is as good as your last one :D speaking of which i never faved the pics from that that i meant to. what can i say i'm easily distracted :shrug:

(pardon possible double post)
I hope so too; the other one was more lively because people really connected with the dislike for how getwatchers, etc, works, so it provided a good platform to vent.

I don't know that I can expect the same reaction for this thread, though. Either way, its an opportunity. :)
well i think from that last thread alone you've become pretty well known and respected for yourself so i don't really think it'll be a problem :) i'd post a comment beforehand for your pic but it wont load on my 3DS lmao. the description's really good though to say the least. but a description's only as good as the pic that goes with it. that's why i hate books without pictures xD ya know that and just a natural hatred of books xP

(my 3DS has been super uncooperative lately so expect a lot of double posts :s)
I don't think I'm well known or respected, I just happened to have one in a handful of threads that got alot of response and lasted longer than the typical thread.

Don't worry about it. :)
(retyping from what i remember >>)

well my threads usually get about one post (more often then not being the posting of the actual thread) so i'm sure you've gained at least some respect with your well thought out comments and consistent reply time. and with every comment you get on your uploads from people simply returning the favor, there's bound to be a good handful of favs that come with em that'll help to get your stuff out there through their favorites lists. its all connected in a really confusing way lol. that's part of why i'm reluctant to do anything specifically gain favorites or watchers. i don't care about popularity and hate to have others think i do, but at the same time i really want to see what people can make and see outta my sketches which is easier to do if i'm more well known. i may have mentioned that before...
Yeah, I think you have. It would be nice if more people made connections in the thumbshare forum, rather than passing the buck. I think threads like this can help, but they don't last nearly long enough.
i think the main issue is about 80% of the threads here are just asking for a most recent upload. noone feels like posting the same thumb over and over and it doesn't really do anything for tye rest of their uploads. needs more variety. demonics or specific animals or even just creative recolorings. if eveyone just posts their newest pic noone would be able to show how they've grown as an artist or how far their experience really goes. you could draw the most beautiful picture but have noone aware of how skilled you are with structure. it's best to show your potential in everything you've tried.

(who wants to bet this double posts?)
That's true. You'll also notice that many threads are asking for your 'best' work, too, and that can force an artist to make tough decisions on the spot as to which ones to feature or not. There have been plenty of times where I wanted to share older ones that I love, but the newer ones were the ones being asked for.
(2 Replies)
i think the main issue is about 80% of the threads here are just asking for a most recent upload. noone feels like posting the same thumb over and over and it doesn't really do anything for tye rest of their uploads. needs more variety. demonics or specific animals or even just creative recolorings. if eveyone just posts their newest pic noone would be able to show how they've grown as an artist or how far their experience really goes. you could draw the most beautiful picture but have noone aware of how skilled you are with structure. it's best to show your potential in everything you've tried.
well i think from that last thread alone you've become pretty well known and respected for yourself so i don't really think it'll be a problem :) i'd post a comment beforehand for your pic but it wont load on my 3DS lmao. the description's really good though to say the least. but a description's only as good as the pic that goes with it. that's why i hate books without pictures xD ya know that and just a natural hatred of books xP
i guess there wouldn't be much of a point in me posting again here just yet xD i'll probably swing by once i upload my leech and tree though ;) hope this thread is as good as your last one :D speaking of which i never faved the pics from that that i meant to. what can i say i'm easily distracted :shrug:
Add a Comment: