Giving advice for your fantasy paintings

I'm in a mood for sharing my advice for any fantasy related paintings. By default I'll post my comments both on this thread and on the deviation. Let me know if you prefer something else.

Please only one deviation per post.

Here are some samples from my gallery. Any comments on these are always welcome!

Comments39
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
: bigthumb350870329:
whoa, i'm sorry. xD that was too fast.
it's this one:

Thanks for looking :) I'm mainly concerned about the general composition/focus, and if the anatomy looks ok.

this one here's my fifth digital painting if I remember correctly; mostly I have the most trouble with digital painting techniques (textures and so on). Thanks! Ja niin, suomeksikin voi puhua :D
Did you remove the deviation?

I hope this counts as a painting even tho it was digital, but i did it in paint tool sai(lol like that counts and so photoshop ) if not just say so XD
I like how you're leading the viewer with your shapes. You could add a bit more marginal since now the composition is a little tight.

A light source that is coming directly from the left gives easily a flat feeling. Might be more interesting to have the light coming from an angle. Also, try using warm/cool color contrast when shading. That means warm colors for highlights and cool colors for shadows. Or you can do it the other way around too.

The claws could be darker since now they create lots of contrast.
Don't worry, most of my stuff is digital too. I'll get back to your painting when I've commented on the other ones on the queue.
aha ok thanx, just wanted to make sure, :)
I'd like to share my latest work on this thread too:

You have some amazing work!
I really like the dynamic feel of this picture. There's a real sense of movement. You've clearly used reference for the horses, which is always a good idea.

I've no complaints about the composition, but the texturing could be improved. Now most of the texturing is for the grass, which is hardly the center of interest in this picture. Try introducing more texture to the horses, and also avoid using soft brushed since they give you a result that is too smooth.

You can also try to harmonize the colors you are using. I see you have warm highlights, but the shadows are neutral black. Try using cold colors in your shadows. Also the god rays in the top left corner are cold even though you've used warm light everywhere.

For painting more realistic fire you could try collecting reference photos of real fire.
Thanks man this was really helpful! :eager:
Only hard thing i need to do fet away from the hard brush, but it's kind of hard using hard brushes with a mouse. :(
Eventually you will need a tablet. You could start with a small and cheap wacom tablet. It would still be a lot easier than with a mouse.
Thanks! I didn't know which brand to go for. I'll look into that.
Thanks again, you were very helpful! :eager:
Your paintings are amazing, they show a lot of depth that adds a lot to the scene. The way you use color, and the colors you use just scream whimsical fantasy. I really enjoy them! I would absolutely love some advice on my most recent water color, I wanted to make it stand out a bit more, but I think it fell flat.

The anatomy of both creatures are really good. If you want to achieve more depth, you should try putting the centaur into perspective instead of using a view directly from the side. Also, using some color perspective always helps with the depth.

The composition would be more interesting if you didn't simply cut the picture in half. Also, most of your lines (including the imaginary one from the horse's gaze) are leading the viewer outside the picture. Here's my composition tutorial for more details: [link].
I like the use of colors here, and I'm glad you've used some texture too. You could push the texturing even further.

I do see something wrong with her left hand. Try using photo reference for anatomy.

The composition could be also improved. Now the flow is constructed so that every line leads to her boobs. Or maybe it's just me :D. Anyway, I've written a composition tutorial which might help: [link].
Like you said, the colors work well. The composition has everything interesting in the dead center, but it's not such a problem in a picture like this. What does bother me is the perspective. The instrument is shown from the top, but Shiva is not drawn from the same angle.