Is your OC a Mary Sue?

Let's have a little fun at our own expense and maybe learn a thing or two along the way :D
Here's what I'd like you to do:

1. Post ONE of your OC's.
2. Tell us a little about them. Just a few lines about what they do for a living, their overall personality, that sort of thing. Keep it short.
3. Take this test [link]
4. Post your character's score and why you think they got that score and if you plan on doing anything about it.

So, we clear? Cool, I'll go first.

Name: Rhoc
Race: Izari (Alien)
Occupation: Ex-Special Forces (Forcibly Retired). Is currently the bodyguard/lab assistant of an eccentric scientist and explorer.
Personality: In a general social setting he is typically very polite and courteous though he does tend to be a bit on the quiet side, preferring to listen rather than speak. He also greatly values actions over words. In combat however he has sometimes been described by his compatriots as 'borderline-sociopathic' as he exhibits little in the way pity or remorse when it comes to the act killing or even torture, though in his defense neither does he seem to take joy or pleasure in it either.
Sue Score: 20 (Non-Sue)
I think the fact that he's a skilled fighter and an ex-soldier is where most of those points came from. Overall, I'm pretty happy with where he's at right now development wise but we'll see as the story progresses.

Alright then, your turn.
Comments30
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In

Name:Shepard Day
Race: Human
Sue Score:38 considering I only marked like 4 boxes thats pretty high
formally known as Dr. Day is a machinist/ main designer and the CEO of Day industries (who got his doctorate in journalism) tries to install his qualities into a full body prosthetic. Something goes horribly wrong and he installs his living consciousness into the machine while his body is sent to the hospital in a coma. Short as humanly possible
Personality: melancholy, distant, vacant, calm, resolved, overbearing, kind, entitled.

I took this test for myself because it was bothering me so much that my OC scored off the charts. If I were a character, I'd have a mary sue score of *40*!!! xD That cracks me up. I think I interpret the questions more liberally than most people.

I really like the wording for my category: Mary-Sue. Your character needs some work in order to be believable. But despair not; you should still be able to salvage her with a little effort. Don't give up.
My OC eats Predator for breakfast.
She's 6'4"
Hates water
Loves danger
Nice idea! :3
I'll join~

Name: Eugene Charles Cervantes
Birthday: 28th of September
Blood type: A-
Sexuality: Hetero, but not interested in a serious relationship (yet?)... He likes whores.

Eugene is the son of an English Aristocrat. But as the second to last out of six children, he probably won't be the successor anyway and so, he doesn't get as much attention by his father as he'd like to have...
That caused to him to disguise, loiter in inappropriate places and take on a rather unusual profession for a rich boy: He started doing jobs as a bounty hunter, using an exquisite gun of his familiy's repertoire.
After his father found out there was a heavy dispute but in the end he got official permission to continue.
He now does it on behalf of his family, to erase society's scum and ultimately, to make himself a name in this world.

The reason why he wears a monocle is that his left eye is quite weak while the right one works pretty well. :3

On the test he got 15 points, Non-Sue.

Edmund Templeton/The Hour Thief
Age: Either 93 or mid-to-late 30s, depending how you measure - 35 if you ask him
Origin: City of Heroes :tombstone: :(

Edmund is a wizard with a little bit of a Lovecraft-mythos flavor to him, who grew out of the first 'story' found here [link] not long after I first read it. The following is copy-pasted from the artist's comments on the picture linked:

Edmund Templeton picked up the highly morally suspect practice of tricking foes out of their own lifespans sometime in the late 1930s, when he was first starting out in the Midnight Squad. He regrets it, but with a karmic debt so deep does not dare give up the resulting immortality, and if this world is his eternity then he may as well do what good he can.

He can also teleport. The upshot of being able to steal time from other people (read: criminals; he won't take time from a friend or innocent person even if they beg him to) by means of verbal tricks is that he can win a fistfight before the other guy has time to react (because the other guy literally doesn't have that time anymore), he's difficult to injure (literally dodges bullets), and he's impossible to kill. He is not physically very strong, especially for a comic-book-superhero setting, so he relies entirely on magic and fighting dirty. This does not include time travel and in fact he's against the whole idea of time travel.

Personality and history: He's a gentleman, introverted, a cat person. With the combination of guilt and fear over his own powers and what they've done to his soul and the melancholy over everyone he's ever loved dying, he's heavily alcoholic, but a drinking problem is better than a descent into madness (his logic) so he's never going to quit. He can't quite keep up with the present day. He attracts women left and right (this is not my fault; other players just kept going after him, but I was okay with it because his spells require him to be charming in order to function), but prefers that relationships don't get too serious because that'd be even more loss to weigh on him, though he's not always successful in keeping things superficial. He fought the Japanese in WWII and never quite got over that, though like most of his issues, he's good at hiding it when he isn't hitting the bottle. He dodged every other draft after that. He speaks about fifteen languages (had to learn, otherwise he'd be screwed if he ever fought someone who didn't understand English). Overall he's friendly and pleasant, dependable, and kindhearted, and wants to do right by the world as much as possible.

50 points. But really, what do you expect from a charming, well-dressed, and handsome vampire-but-not-really who's wracked with guilt over the thought that that's what he is and so only uses his powers for good...

Anyway, I knew that already from a different (similar) Mary-Sue test, and suspected it even before then - however, what by right should have been a mushy heap of bland author appeal somehow managed to be pulled back out of that, and everyone I've ever played him with has loved him. I have no idea how that happened, and I doubt it will ever happen again.
This is a pretty fun idea for a thumbshare.:D Do your Izari have any powers or abilities different to humans?

Robbie
21 or 22
Musician
Robbie, his girlfriend and his best friend are the remnants of a failed band trying to make it big in a scene which doesn't seem to fit their kind of music. Robbie is very idealistic and ambitious and believes that they can make it big, as long as he has his friends. But one week before an audition that could be their big break, his girlfriend breaks up with him.

Sue Score: 13
That's mainly because there's no magic and no fighting in the book. :P
Not really, except that they tend to move a bit faster than the average human, but they also have a lighter skeleton and less upper body strength than most humans.
He has awesome hair!! And his back-story sounds cool :) And very realistic. Sounds like it could be a tv drama :) Good rendering on the trees in that pic too!
Thanks! :hug: I used a lot of reference pics for the hair, because curls are hard. :stare: Yep, that's kind of the idea for the story, it's a bit of a real-people-drama-thing.

Name: Kelley Bowers
Story Type: Supernatural Procedural
Personality: Bitchy, short temper, with a rebellious streak. Also loyal, protective, and sometimes nurturing. Also a total tsundere. XD

Score: 18

Interesting. I though she'd be higher, since she has a griffin for a pet and possesses a kind of reverse empathy. These minor psychic powers are a bit common in the story, so I suppose that kills the points from that. And she is a bit of a bitch, so there's that. XD

Overall, I find some of the last questions puzzling. Why does it matter if you draw your character a lot? And the character journal doesn't take into account the possibility of the character being used in a dreamwidth/insanejournal/etc roleplay. Ah well, these tests can't be perfect, but this was fun.
Yeah, the test isn't the best but I think it gives you a decent metric to go by if nothing else.

Mary Sue score 88... I'm not changing him xD He's 5'3", has trouble actually getting close to people, and the physical advantages he gets from being part cyborg (he's in a futuristic universe) are probably outweighed by the trouble it gives him. He is very smart, and he's good looking, but people don't always like him right off the bat. Besides, him being smart is a plot-point. Some people do like him, but a lot of girls won't give him the time of day b/c he's so short, and he's mistaken as gay a lot for the same reason.

A lot of the things he's good at I 'can't help' b/c he has a computer in his head... yeah he 'knows things off the top of his head' - b/c your character would too if they had 24/7 access to wikipedia. Same reason that he's a good shot. He's not a good fighter, but I had to say he can kill someone 'with his bare hands' because he has tricks up his sleeve. 2 skilled people could take him down easily... hell, 2 unskilled people could, that's why he can run fast xD And he's super thin, but he doesn't particularly like that, and where he's from all the people who can afford it are thin (genetically altered) - he literally *can't* put on much muscle which drives him crazy.

I feel like this test doesn't take counter-measures into account. Besides, how high would Loki or Sherlock Holmes have gotten?
I think yours is fine because he's got the downside of his abilities too. Does he have any physical robot parts, or just the computer in his head?
Oh thanks :D It's mostly just 'parts replacement' - for example some bones now made of metal, some uninteresting filtration systems, etc. Things like his eyes (was another couple Mary Sue points against him lol) and a couple mechanical fingers don't appear/look different than normal - and I did try to incorporate realism, like how he'd have very little/no feeling in those fake fingers.
I won't lie, it does give him some advantages (but no super strength/speed), but things can break/tear randomly inside him, and if someone ever hacked into the comp in his head and shut it down he'd die quickly b/c it regulates some physiological processes, he can't wake up right so someone could kill him in his sleep, etc. When I made him I was trying to think of the real problems a person w/ a bunch of synthetic junk inside them would face :)
Awesome. I have a few characters with cyborg parts, one with a mechanical hand and another with enhancements a bit like yours, so I find it pretty interesting. Same like you, I figured the robot hand wouldn't have much feeling. (With mine, I think it might just be the undersides of the fingers with basic heat/cold/touch sense.)

I don't think a character with powers is a problem unless there is no conflict or struggle in the story because of them. After all, powers are cool. :D
Yeah, powers are totally cool! You should draw that character! :D Have you already?
That's smart with the basic sensations... I'll have to decide what to do with that w/ my chara. Originally I'd thought it would just be deadened like in peripheral neuropathy (what diabetics get after a long time of not controlling blood sugar well). Anyways... xD
Thanks for the fav :D I really like your gallery too, particularly 'Looking Sharp' with your same Robbie character :)
I haven't because I haven't been working on his story, but maybe I will draw him. :XD: I find robot stuff really hard to draw, but I'll go look up some pictures of machinery or something.

Thanks! Its funny how so many people seem to like that one. :lol: It was just a quick sketch.
Yeah, draw him :D That would be cool.
Robbie looks so dapper in that pic :) And it's funny how sometimes the faster ones look better... not always though! :)
Actually, it says at the bottom of the Score thingy that Morpheus from Sandman has around 70 points which is pretty high, yet his story and the stuff he goes through makes up for it. So Mary-Sue litmus tests aren't always accurate. :giggle:

That's why I don't use them anymore, but it was fun to try it out again. :laughing:
Yeah! I might take that Mary-Sue test for Loki xD I think he'd have a billion points. And I don't think you can call him a Mary-Sue! Lol.
The other draw-back is that when people get too obsessed with making their characters so they're SUPER *not*-Mary Sue... that can making a boring frigging character xD (ie regular unliked high school student who is not particularly good looking or good at anything....) The ones on this board look interesting enough, but it can happen. You know what I mean though?
Was fun though :) And funny.
Lol ikr?

Yeah... that's why I'd rather write the story first before I worry about the characters and all. It makes it a lot less stressful.

Yeah. I agree. :nod:

Name: Alex
Species: Human

Personality: Alex is mostly described as being a little sneaky and mysterious, but also playful. He likes to keep a polite attitude at all times, even when he pulls off pranks on suspecting people. Although he comes off as a person with a high self-esteem, Alex is not completely satisfied with his overall physical strength. He then wishes for a incredibly strong power to make up for it. It however, backfires later on.

Abilities and Talents: Electrokinesis(Ability to control electricity) small amounts of telepathy(it drives him insane, so he doesn't use it much) running, and athletic stuff such as sports.

And his score is a 17. Thank goodness. D=
Btw... I've noticed that some of the other characters posted here have a similar personality. Weird. :I
Wow, 17! So low :) He seems cool - I like the electricity.
Lol thanks.

That's because he's mostly just an average human boy so yeah, lol.

He's slightly attractive, but only to his friend. :XD: