Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

wanting some feedback on my digital work.

:iconmattmancool34:
mattmancool34 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I just recently (within the last 3 months) started doing digital work. However I am in my 5th year in college with (graduating this year) and have been trained traditionally. I have never taken a digital art class or even a graphics class. My emphasis is painting and I would just like some critiques or feedback, maybe things I can improve or things I wouldn't know about.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
"However I am in my 5th year in college with (graduating this year) and have been trained traditionally. I have never taken a digital art class or even a graphics class"

That's what I thought after seeing your drawings. You have the general technical skills obviously, but it looks like your handling of the digital tool is still lacking.

The first four piece from left to right have rather blurry and messy colors. It seems to me that you overused the blur tool and made every shadow/edge super soft. If you're really using the blur tool, ditch it. Try using the smudge tool where the colors are supposed to be blended.

Take a step away from the complicated artworks and just do some still life fruit paintings for now. When you feel that you've got a grasp of Photoshop, then move on.
mattmancool34 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
thank you for the advice and I truly do appreciate the criticisms.
:iconsongbirdholly:
songbirdholly Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Artist
I'm in my 4th year in college, and I want to study digital art as well. Unfortunately, the school I go to doesn't offer many digital classes, so I'm doing an art degree. So I'm no expert in digital art, but from what I've seen, I can give you my best advice.

Your "Eyes Don't Hide" is captivating and emotional, but I would make the colors and lines more crisp. You did that with the tear in the right eye, and if you want to make the eyes pop more, you could add more detail in those as well.

"prison of my own devising" has great contrast with the colors in the skull and the wall surrounding it. It looks like a traditional painting, so you did a good job imitating water based paint dripping!

I hope that helped! :)
mattmancool34 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thank your for the comment. We have a few digital art classes at my university but I'm majoring with an emphasis and painting and didn't want to take all the commercial art classes.

The skull peace started as a traditional watercolor but I like to switch back and forth between traditional and digital to get the best of both world.

Originally I only wanted to use digital art programs to lay out compositions but I kind of like all the freedom allotted by it.
songbirdholly Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student Artist
Yeah, I agree. It's best to do a bit of everything. At least you have digital art classes to better your skills with!
mattmancool34 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
we dont really have classes. I am just trying to teach myself.
songbirdholly Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Artist
Oh ok, guess that's the best way to go! :)
Add a Comment: