Closed to new replies
December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Need critique on background art

:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Hi, I've loosely painted in a rough draft of a background but I don't know if people will find it too busy. I've been looking at this image for too long. I don't want it to fight with the jedi character. Should I simplify it? Does it need another background that will show better that she's falling down towards the viewer? Any experts in sci-fi backgrounds out there? I would love your opinion.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconremembermeforawesome:
remembermeforawesome Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd say that the buildings should be more detailed.
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Digital Artist
1. I don't like how we're looking upwards at the moment, cause at first glance, I thought I was looking down.
This is because:
- You made the height all the buildings pretty much the same, so it gave an illusion of the buildings were grounded.
- The almost perfect balance between the top side and bottom side, so it looks like 2 sides of a street.
2. The red line on the top left looks out of place because of its unique angle.
3. Lightsaber currently drawing too much attention due to its unique and bright color. And also because it's larger than the face.
4. Definitely keep the background. It's busy, yes, but they're pretty much all in the same hue. The details are very nice.
5. You could suggest motion blur with the light saber and city lights to give a stronger impression that she's falling towards the viewer.
6. Try adding a wee bit of blue to her for color harmony. Also helps to give her some blu-ish accessory (I wouldn't recommend doing that to the lightsaber though, I don't see it working).
7. Since this is a futuristic city, I would add some helicopters and stars. Also, if she's close enough to the ground, adding something like a traffic light or road sign helps a lot.

Also, here's a paintover just because I felt like doing it. If you don't want your art to be hosted by others, I can take it down.
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Thanks for the tip about the buildings--it will make a big difference. I will play around with their heights. I was thinking of putting in some flying cars but didn't know if people would find it too busy.

The red lines are supposed to be lazer fire but they may have to go...

I could darken the green of the light saber as well as the glow it's giving off. It's a work in progress and I was intending to tint the character with a blue shade but I'd keep her lighter than the background.

Thanks for doing the paint over.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Digital Artist
I really like it actually, I like how the lines all point in towards the character. :) I don't think its too busy. I agree with what ~Fredthecow said about the direction being more clear once you put the light in.
Thanks. I hope my coloring can make it look like she's falling in the way I want her to. Thanks for commenting.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Digital Artist
No worries! I really like the poses and angles you do in your art btw. It's something I should try more. :noes:
Glad you like the poses I draw. Thanks!
:iconfredthecow:
Fredthecow Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I dont think the background is too busy, but if you feel it looks too busy you can probably Make the background less saturated, and more foggy looking. I dont get that shes falling towards me, I feel like shes falling down away from me (and up into the sky strangely enough). Some shadows on her may help to counter act that. Im well aware its a WIP (especially after viewing your other works) and I really think once you throw shadows and light on her figure it would appear more like shes falling towards the viewer if its shadowed/lightened properly :) just play around with the lighting until it looks correct
I did a polls and the majority of voters wanted her to be falling towards the viewer away from the tops of the buildings but there the problem that it can be seen the other way and then the viewer wonders why the moon is on the grounds. :XD: I'm working to fix it. Thanks for the feedback.
Add a Comment: