Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Starting out in Graphic Design

:iconxdawg:
xdawg Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I have 3 Graphic Design Certificates and my job search isn't going well. How can I get a graphic design job without a degree? I heard it is possible but everywhere I see they require a Bachelor's.

What I've been doing is searching on job sites and sending emails with my resume and a link to my portfolio www.xaviervanegasdesign.com.

What can I do to get a job?

www.xaviervanegasdesign.com

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Digital Artist
Also, your portfolio should clearly state what services you offer and what skills you have.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012   Digital Artist
Try freelancing?
:iconcerebellaart:
cerebellaArt Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Also I just looked at your site and it needs a lot of work.. Can't find contact info or anything. Also I would include information you would have on a resume.. Past experience. Jobs you've done, people you've worked for, courses you've taken, etc. It needs to be a bit more user friendly.. Maybe if you know someone who does web design you can give them some cash to spice it up for you.
xdawg Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Thank you very much for the feedback.
:iconcerebellaart:
cerebellaArt Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Network.. talk to people.. I just went to a career convention recently for jobs in communication, advertising, PR, design, etc.. All of the professionals said the same thing. You have to get out and talk to people. Find some company you want to work for, find out who hires, follow them on professional twitter, facebook, etc, email, make calls, attend events where professionals gather, find an organization to join (example here in Oklahoma we have Ad Club, which I think is an organization all over the U.S. if thats where you are, and a sister organization called Ad2 thats for young people) you may have to pay a fee but if you are active you will meet people.. Also really try to spice up your resume. All of them said that if you are going into a creative work to make a creative resume that reflects you and your style. There are plenty of ideas you can get online or come up with something on your own. Make a website for yourself, make your resume into an infographic, make a video, design an ad for yourself, etc. Just make sure its appropriate for what you are applying for. Also do your research on the company you are trying to get a job at, know what you want to do in that company, and be sure to explain how you will make their company better. Make sure to have ways to show your strengths since you don't have the degree to back up your resume. Design is a highly competitive field and simply doing online job searches most likely is not going to cut it.
Hope that helps a little!
xdawg Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Yes this helps tremendously!
:iconcarnivalfish:
carnivalfish Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Im not sure what your portfolio looks like, but I would advise having someone (not close to you) go through and pick out maybe five of their favorite pieces to focus on. Make sure projects dont just have one component (ie. a poster). If your going to show a poster it better be a series. You want to show a range of focused talents. Also keep in mind your work is only as good as your weakest. Don't ever put any work in your portfolio as a "space filler". A lot of agencies are hiring interns and choosing fulltime employees from those pools (kind of like putting you through a test run). I dont agree with it, but if you are finding full time work hard to find - try that. Just a note - Dont ever accept an "unpaid internship".

Good luck!
xdawg Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Interface Designer
What exactly did you mean about agencies choosing from those pools? Thanks for the advice. My portfolio is on www.xaviervanegasdesign.com and if you can give me constructive feedback i would really appreciate it.
:iconcarnivalfish:
carnivalfish Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Sorry, that wasn't very clear. They choose full-time hires from their current interns. Since internships are usually a few months and pay little companies use that time as a "test run". Companies are also not obligated to hire an intern or provide benefits. I don't really agree with this method because not everyone is in a financial situation where they can to work for reduced pay and therefore not everyone has the same opportunities. The agency I work for now is not the same as the one I interned with, so I wouldn't say its a requirement to have an intern. However, if your not considering an internship you'd better be freelancing to stay active in the design community.
:iconladykenshin:
LadyKenshin Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
Definitely network with a lot of people! Ask friends, close acquaintances, etc. about those who are looking for designers, artists, and creative directors. Some job opportunities may not be found online.
Add a Comment: