Show Me Some Art "That's Bigger Than YOU!"

I really enjoy the artistic fellowship on Deviant Art. It is a pleasure to have DA on an open web tab while working from my studio and watch what others are creating in real-time, at all technical levels, media, and styles. I especially love artists who have a sincere purpose driving them to create artwork, outside of the general passion for creating. I believe God gave mankind the ability to create so that we could understand why He creates. And if you are in touch with your spirit, Your Supreme Creator, if you know of your higher-calling, what you create is only as important as why you created it. Who is the glory for? If you create for something bigger than yourself, I want to know about it. I want to watch you. I watch a growing number of artists who have mastered the art of pleasing my aesthetic preferences, and that is well and good. But I really want to watch artists that are "doing" something with their art. Their art clothes the naked, feeds the hungry, builds hospitals, educates, inspires productivity, strengthens the family, communicates truths, passions, love, and more. Those artists will receive so much support from me, they will think I am their personal paparazzi.

So, if you feel your artwork meets that criteria, either in its subject matter or in its mission (maybe the sale of it, regardless of the subject matter, raised money for a charity)share with me a thumb or two (more, if you really feel ambitious)! You MUST explain in a few sentences what your artwork "does" beyond "bring joy to those who view it"...and for bonus points, what you future goals are with your artistic career. Impress me. Not only are you looking at a potential watch and faves, but also features- and I don't mean just on DA. I have a much greater audience outside of DA, including an eNewsletter with an extensive mailing list. So it just might be worth your time to do more than just copy-paste some thumbs, in fact, you'll have to in order to get my attention! Technical merit is good, but not as important as the motive. You do not have to return a watch or a fave, although that is always a pleasure. Not into coercive watching.

Unleash it! And thanks in advance.
Comments86
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In

This just happens to be my most recent piece, but underlying themes in my work is the separation of the self, the spirit, thinking vs being, existence so forth. I'm not sure if that meets the criteria you want exactly or not, but in my galleries there's an entire sub gallery devoted to my personal works which visually might be the direction you're trying to examine. Or I'm just babbling. Whatever really.
It could be what I'm looking for...you are examining a series of topics with your art that are interesting in themselves- I'm just trying to discern why- what motivates you to do so. How does your work on the "separation of the self, the spirit, thinking vs being" help others directly or indirectly? What are we learning about ourselves in viewing/examining you work that helps us go on to achieve greater depths of understanding and impact others positively? It certainly is visually spectacular, but that alone cannot meet the criteria, though it certainly helps the success of your mission. So what is that mission?

Thanks for your response.
Good thread. I'm interested to see what people post here as well. Unfortunately the work I do now is just to try to get a job in the game industry, so I won't post anything. However, I hope I can get to the point where I can be successful and start doing artwork for others.

Right now though, I'm a total starving artist lol.
Thanks for appreciating the direction of this thread. And your response brings me to a good topic to discuss. I think a lot of people probably don't respond to this thread for the same reasons you gave. Because those of us artists in the USA (not to the exclusion of other bad economies out there) are having such a rough time, sometimes we get bogged down and decide to do work that pays the bills, not the work that our spirit spills. And for many of us, success is measured by our income as an artist, which, if it is less than the cost of living comfortable, validates the "starving artist" comment.

But you can't wait until you become "successful" to "do (art)work for others". According to the recently passed Zig Ziglar, in order to get what you want, you have to give enough other people what they want. Success comes when you help others succeed.

It's about contentment and connection, too. Right now, you describe yourself as wanting to get a job in the gaming industry. I know you can. Despite the fact you did not post anything, I looked at your gallery anyway, and I see huge talent. Huge. I don't think it is a matter of "if" you will get employed in your chosen career, just a matter of "when". And I will tell you when. As soon as you remedy the disconnect you have between what you are doing now (that you consider work for yourself) and what you want to do (work for others...then a gaming company will look at you and not just see a great artist, but someone committed to serving others with his talents. As long as they see someone whose greatest goal is to collect a pay-check so that one day they might theoretically do work with a greater "cause", they will see that you don't view what you do with them as being a "cause"...and I can garantee you that any reputable gaming company (or any company in any industry) want people passionate about their product or service- right where they are. The money doesn't move them. Loving others and wanting to improve the quality of life for others motivates them. And those guys don't complain about Mondays, they hate calling in sick, they show up earlier and work late. And that's how they get very successful, and as a side benefit, wicked wealthy.

So I encourage you to reassess what motivates you. There already is a great "mission" in your industry- and that is to entertain people. To have families come together and play games with each other, traditionally and digitally. So the best companies produce the best products by suggestion of their audience, calling for better graphics, gameplay, etc, etc. Because they answer those needs, people keep buying, the industry grows. If you go beyond telling your employer you have the technical merit they are looking for and tell them how you are going to answer the needs of thier customers, then you will know you are serving others. And the money will follow. And then you can look to continue to serve others with your art in other extensions outside of the gaming industry because you'll know what success is.

And you won't be a starving artist.

Now, I re-prompt you to tell me about your art and how it can serve/will serve others. The answer was already there. ;)
Sorry! I seemed to have missed your post and I see it is over a week old! Very sorry!

These are great photos. Would you enlighten me as to how they help others? Thanks!
Please discuss how these meet the criteria! Thanks! :)
Thanks. Would you be so kind as to explain how this art fits the criteria? :)
Can you please explain how this image meets the criteria? Thanks!

Well I thought that it was really interesting what you said about creating a work bigger than us, that we have the gift to create something meaningful and important. Well I confess that I don't think this is amazing but this work is very special comic book I have been working on "Heart & Soul" because it happens around the time my country, Angola, was in a social war. The story develops as the characters try to reach they dreams and through the road they choose to go, they start questioning themselves if is worth it and if is what they need. Maybe one of the inspirations was because we artists are constantly trying to reach our dreams and there are times when I question if is what I really need... :heart:
A very thought provoking post. Thank you for sharing it, and I hope that the book helps to perhaps heal some wounds.
oh thank you for the kind words, I also hope that my story has this impact with the audience :pray:
I'm glad you responded. I believe your work would help other artists do some real heart/soul searching about their creations- and that's basically what I'm trying to encourage with this thread. To dig deeper in search of what your calling is in what you create. So thank you. I will watch!
Thank you for the watch, watch you back :la:
I am glad you find it good and that it could inspire others people too, its something I am trying to achieve as well.
Will try not disappoint people :dance:
I know you won't disappoint! :) *hugs*
Can you please explain how this meets the criteria of this thread? Thanks!
Seems kind of a foolish way to get your artwork seen. In a thread such as this one, it actually works against you- as it gives off the impression that "it's all about you"- and this thread is for artwork with a completely opposite theme.

I appreciate you wanting to be part of every thread on the thumbshare forum, but spamming it can lead to awkward moments like this- where you turn people off your art.

Hope that was a lesson well-learned, if you take the time to read it and show concern and courtesy for others.
I bet you are reading it, it's just easier to play dumb. But then again, you don't need to 'play' at that, do you? Spare the forums of your presence, please. You are tirelessly inconsiderate and rude.
View all replies