CRITIQUING (Verbose) : Figure | Composition | Color | Comics | Character | Design

I am offering critiques a'plenty - to artists that really want in-depth feedback on their work!

DISCLAIMER or The Fine Print
    The critiques are FREE, the catch is that I'm only looking for people who will really be engaged with their feedback. We've all had those scenarios, where we write someone a thesis-paper length comment, and are met with "I wasn't really going for much with this piece so … whatever." I'm afraid that's not going to go very far here - when people critique, they are investing themselves in you and your development as an artist. Respect that.

(Best case scenario, a critique leads to a discussion, and the creation of more artwork by everyone involved!)

In accordance - I don't want crazy thumb-spam! Please post one thumb (if you post more than one, I'll pick one) and let me know what sort of feedback you would like (this helps me keep my critique direct and applicable).

• What were you working on with the piece?
    • How did you push yourself?
    • What are you looking for in a critique?
    • Where will you go from here?

TOPICS or Things I Know Enough to Talk About
  1. Figure Drawing/Painting
    My speciality and the focus of my study for the past few years - I don't care what style you use, from life or from your head, level of completion or ability, or medium. I probably won't talk abstractly about things like anatomy, my focus will be more on concepts of form and gesture. How does your figure exist in space (shape/volume/weight), is it believable, does it convey meaning or emotion?

2. Composition
    How does the eye move around the image, what are the focal points - where is the interest, lighting, layering, etc. How does your work read, how does it communicate with the audience?

3. Color Theory
    Color is just another tool to get your meaning across! How effectively do you use it and why did you make the choices you did? Do the relationships of the colors used and the way you used them accent your art?

4. Visual Narratives
    Comic artists - this is for you! Critiques will be on panel use, timing, layout, hierarchy. How effectively do you tell your story told?

5. Character Design
    All choices matter in character design! Your job is to take the person in your mind and present them effectively enough that the character we interpret is the same as the individual you have imagined.

6. Design (Print + Web)
    By trade I'm a designer/illustrator (though my gallery doesn't reflect this) it's where my dependence on analysis comes from. I'm definitely up to giving you a critique on your design work, but please be sure you provide enough information about the project so I can evaluate how well you communicated your message.

ULTERIOR MOTIVES or Why I'm Putting Myself Through All This
    I want to be a teacher some day! Why not today? One of my big dreams is to write a textbook for the visual arts - something that doesn't instruct on "How to Draw (Like Me)" but rather something that present different techniques, studies, and opportunities for artists to find their own working methods and styles. One of the things I've realized about art is that the best way to progress as an artist is to become self-aware - I want to give people tools and perspectives to help them analyze their own art and push them in directions they never new about.

I figure in my time on devART I've written a couple hundred thousand words in critiques here and there. I've decided to start tagging them all, archiving them, and forming them into the ideas I want to someday present in my book. I'm unceremoniously using all of you to generate content. That's pretty much the full story.

So! If you want to improve, get new direction, or just feedback from a peer, and are willing to walk the two-way street - go for it! I'm happy to help. :meow:
Comments50
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I really want your thoughts on the anatomy and the coloring, because that anatomy on human females are my weakest point, and that I want to see of what you think of the coloring.
tell me something I'll engage...

This is supposed to be a movie poster. The concept is based on the story of David of Goliath, except that I gender-bended David into Davina.
This is my first time experimenting with a style that is very graphic and stylized (if you check my gallery you will notice how drastic it is for me). It is done in that kind of style because the target audience is supposed to be kids. So I would love the feedback on the style itself, and then on colour theory and composition.

But if you have any other things that you would like to critique on, feel free to do so. :)

wouldnt mind a crit on either one of these (sorry i could choose one so i let you pick)
please be as honest/blunt as you like, it will only help me be better

id really love to here what you think, im happy with both good and bad feedback :)

Thank you

Game of Thrones! :)

id love a critique on either of these(hope photography is allowed), ty :D
im looking for overall feedback; comp, color, lighting, personal thoughts on the image...etc etc!! :)
Sure, I can critique a photo for you!

It probably won't be quite as in depth as my painting/drawing techniques, but I'll see what I can do. :nod: I'm working through a bit of a backlog at the moment though, so it might be a day or two before I get to you.
cool thank you very much, i dont mind waiting!! :D

No need to go easy on me. I think this one is just broken and though I don't want to spend more than 2-3 hours fixing it, I don't really know where to start. Also I'm looking to make more pieces like this one so advice would be great.
The composition seems the worst but I believe the colors are pretty dull too. Think you can give me a critique on these?
I love conversations, by the way.
I'd love to give this piece a critique!

I'm working through a little backlog though - so it'll probably be a few days before I get it all put together and posted. Is that okay?

(As a heads-up it will probably mostly be a critique about value/color/lighting, and how to use those elements to enhance a composition and develop a narrative in your image.) :)
No problem at all, and thanks again! :)
I am not sure if this is allowed but I would really appreciate it if you could critique my coloring/lighting.

Definitely! - I'm away from the computer for the next few hours, and have a bit of a backlog to work through, so it'll probably be a day or two before I get to you. But it's most certainly allowed and I'd be glad to help! :nod:
Thanks so much :]
Figure, color and design feedback please.

Really pushing my focus on composition and color application. Also challenging myself with a solid background and attempting to improve my skills on creatures and water. Done in Photoshop CS4
So sorry for posting more than one, But I just can't decide between these. They're both really meaningful to me, not just because the people in them are special, but because I wasn't asked to draw them (I drew them because I wanted to). Just pick whichever one you feel strongest about.

This one is me and my best friend. Like the title says, I wanted to capture a moment. We were on exchange together, so we knew after our year was up we might not ever see each other again. 1. I wanted to capture a moment I knew we'd both remember because it was so fun, and we were really happy. This is probably my most emotional piece, and I really worked hard on getting that emotion across. 2. I'd never drawn someone leaning on someone else, so my friend's pose was really awkward to draw. 3. A general overview on what you initially think, and ways to improve (especially on what I want to express with my work). 4. Not exactly sure what you mean, though I take all feedback seriously and look at how I can use it to progress.

This is one of my best friends and I was trying to capture him being himself (he had just stolen my other friend's glass and put on a serious face). 1. I really wanted his personality to show through in this piece. 2. I worked on actually drawing the background + we were under an umbrella so it was kind of hard with so many shadows. 3. A general overview on what you initially think, and ways to improve (especially on what I want to express with my work). 4. Not exactly sure what you mean, though I take all feedback seriously and look at how I can use it to progress.
Critiqued the first!

So sorry for the delay. :(
If you'd like me to, I can critique the other one as well - I want to work my way a little further down the list first though. :nod:
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a great critique! :D

I would reallllllly appreciate if you'd critique the second one as well but you don't have to if you don't have time.

Again thanks so much!
Here is my piece:

What I tried to do is some stylization of a landscape that would look illustration-like. (Remembered several books from my childhood, which had totally un-realistic and coarse but somehow appealing pictures). Also, this was inspired by folk songs.
The most challenging thing was building composition and make it feel balanced. On the other hand, I'm a realism artist, and I want to get as much away from that as possible, searching for various ways.
Although I'm quite satisfied with this lineart myself, I have the feeling that for other people it doesn't read properly. Maybe it lacks contrast, or colour, or I can't figure out what. I suppose I need to develop the whole thing, but I just can't think of what should be done.
Critiqued! - You already know that, it just helps me keep track of where I am in the list to reply to the originals! :meow:

:squee: Hihihihihihihiiiiiii :squee:
I am real glad to introduce some of the art and characters for my upcoming original comic, Inquest of Missing Time. My little cannibals will kill you with there sweetness :P
the comic is of Horror/Comedy that sharpens the perspective on the impelling Drama of human existence.
i will be completing the character set and should start with the release of the story pretty soon. I am open to any comments since i want to make sure my cover is to the best that i can produce.

Have Fun!

:ahoy:

please like my [link] on facebook for more fun and updates on the Comic!
:onfire: :juggle: Bish Bash the Rash and its itchin for some real pitchin! :juggle: :onfire: