Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Editor for Hire - everything from essays to novels!

:iconspirit-of-the-fire:
spirit-of-the-fire Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Hello everyone!

I am a freelance editor, currently working on getting my editing certification with the Editor's Association of Canada. I have worked with writers of all levels, from nearly flawless to almost unreadable, on everything from essays (grade school, high school, undergraduate, and above), to flyers, to comics, to novels, using Canadian, US, and UK English. I can do simple copy editing (fixing spelling and grammar) right up to content editing (looking for ways to improve the essay/story as a whole, checking for inconsistencies and plot holes, etc.). I am willing to go over your writing multiple times until it is as good as it can possibly be, and always give explanations for changes I make that are more than simple spelling corrections. Unlike some horror stories you may hear about other editors, I am not out to tear your work apart or make you feel bad about your writing. I am honest, but polite, and truly believe that any piece of writing can be made into something worth reading with enough work. Some examples of my own writing can be found here: [link]

Generally I charge about $15 - $20 per hour. How many pages this gets you depends on exactly how much work needs to be done. For a simple copy edit, I can often get through 10 - 12 pages in an hour. However, my prices are highly negotiable based on your specific needs and budget, and I charge less for students writing essays or papers for school. Please leave a comment here or note me if you are interested :)

Devious Comments

:iconintensegrowl:
IntenseGrowl Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Would you also be able to write stories, or any other type of literature from the ground up for 15$-$20 per hour?
spirit-of-the-fire Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
It would depend on what it is you want, and what you want to use it for. I don't have a whole lot of experience with commissioned writing, which is why I don't advertise it here, but send me a note and we can discuss it :)
:iconintensegrowl:
IntenseGrowl Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
I am thinking there will be some lore that is only written and presented on the website, other narrated on trailers and such. I would need the main server lore, some short stories/fables, a few poems and songs, and such.
spirit-of-the-fire Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
You may need to find someone else for the songs and poems, as that is my one weakness in writing (though I may be able to do it if you have a "skeleton" of what you want), but everything else I can certainly do, as I have experience with that type of writing from working on my own fantasy novel. I have an example of something similar to what you might be looking for here: [link] and I have others I can show you that aren't currently online.
:icondisaster-n-beauty:
Disaster-N-Beauty Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist
Do you have a list of credentials? My friend's been looking for an editor for a book she wants to self-publish and she has another editor on here in mind, but credentials may help! Thanks :D
spirit-of-the-fire Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Unfortunately, no, I don't have any real credentials yet. I only just finished my Bachelor of Arts degree a couple of months ago, and didn't have time during school to take the editing certification exams, which only take place in November. However, you can see my own writing here: [link] and I will do a sample edit for her before she has to decide anything (I need a 5 - 10 page sample of the book she wants edited, so I can determine an appropriate price. I edit that portion and send it back, and then she can decide whether or not she would like me to continue with the rest of the book, at which point we finalize the price, and both sign a contract).
:icondisaster-n-beauty:
Disaster-N-Beauty Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist
Thanks for the info :) My friend ended up signing with =star-blazer, but she said she's going to keep you in mind for the future! I'll pass the word around!
spirit-of-the-fire Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
No problem. Thanks for letting me know :)
:iconkainchild:
Kainchild Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
So your saying you would charge 300 dollars for proofreading a 150 page book?
:icondjdanilly:
djdanilly Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Professional General Artist
Do you need a proofreader?
Add a Comment: