ANIMATOR Needed: Flash, Anime Studio Pro, or Traditional

I am looking for an animator (or really a small team of animators?) who can help us make a TV-style pilot for a science fiction show called "Starship Moonhawk", based on my extensive works. Now, for the bad news: we would need work to start in February, and be done in say, 5 months. Maybe not full-Post, but enough to debut a "rough cut" at San Diego Comic Con in late July.

Here's the skinny:

20-30 minutes of footage (including opening credit sequence) done in the Japanese style (Anime). I have no actual preference that the art department follow the stylings of a specific Master. We simply want the aesthetic of the late 70's up to say... 1998 when Martian Successor Nadesico came to the US. But, I am open to other ideas since I also like the aesthetic of Gundam Seed/Destiny if that's your thing. It may not be hard to convince me of a direction to head. The series is largely influenced by Space Battleship Yamato, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, etc. Which makes sense since I'm almost 40. Those are my jams.

It needs to be TV quality (which is why a team may need to be assembled), and we are working on a "microbudget", which means our total production costs, with marketing and "optional extras" needs to be under $20,000. However, all of the voiceover work is done. So, whatever we raise can go straight into production costs. We already have a sound and editing team.

So, to recap, here's the particulars for those who don't like all my rambling:

Position: Key Animator
Length: 20-30 mins
Aesthetic: 70's to Early 2000's Anime
Tools: Flash, Anime Studio Pro (Moho?), Traditional (whatever is faster)
Quality: TV SD up to Standard HD (12-16 FPS is usually good?)
Time: 4-5 months, max

Anyway, looking for quotes on this to see if we can get it done. We will be launching a Kickstarter for production by January 15, so the sooner folks can get back to me, the better. This is a lead-in for a much LONGER series which will have 12-episode annual seasons, so all applicants please make sure you have the capacity in your studio or network of talent to handle such a hypothetical scenario.

Hopefully, I covered al the bases. I look forward to hearing back.

Michael
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Professional, experienced studio specializing in anime-inspired animation here =).

Show Reel: youtu.be/Ytk7kGVyRvE

However, it's unfortunate a 20k budget will not be enough for 20 minutes of broadcast quality animation, particularly within your time frame.
Sooo... not to be rude, but you stopped by to tell me you can't do it with the time and budget I am proposing?
$20k for 20 minutes w/in 4 months:
That's $1,000 dollars per minute, but every second or so of high quality animation requires at least 1-2 hours of talented work. That works out to just over $15/hr, best case.
Multiplying back up, you can see that the scope of the project is around 2,400 manhours, or 300 workdays. To complete it in the timeframe, you'd need a team of around 15 people to work on it full-time. When you consider administrative costs on the part of the studio, it's clear why such a deal seems unappealing. $10/hr is not enough to attract talent in the US or Canada.
I think tiffa is trying to offer a friendly reality check. RWBY is a very special case. It's unique, arguably 'ugly' style is due to 3D rigs that reduce production costs. The first portion was created by Marty Oum, a person of uncommon intensity and work ethic. Perhaps most significantly, it's written and animated by the same team. While Rooster Teeth may not be dropping much more than $20k into each episode, they have the infrastructure to create them already in place, and that infrastructure is very valuable. For an instructive (and kind of sad) example of the significant cost associated with traditional animation, you need look no farther than Cartoon Hangover. Though they burst onto the scene with a vengeance three years ago, they've struggled putting out enough content to remain relevant, and not for lack of interest.
Not if we use "minimalist assets" and 3D in concert a la Archer. I'm not trying to make a traditional anime here. I'm only trying to beat NewGrounds Flash animation from c.2003 quality, which Tiffa and I are now discussing. If something like that would be more appealing at the given price, you may wish to join the discussion. :)
XD I'm not a professional animator. Let me know if you need an accountant, though. :D
haha, we might at that! XD
Just a friendly suggestion that more information may be necessary. Perhaps a discussion regarding production specifics, which I'd be happy to do, if you're interested. A Martian Successor Nadesico production level would be unrealistic for the budget you've specified. That's not to say it couldn't be modified into something more like a motion comic with similar level of artwork to fit your budget.
I think everyone may be overthinking this. According to Masamune Sakaki, an average 13-episode season of anime costs about $2 million dollars. And this is professional quality meant for TV. If you divide that by 13, that's about $158,000/episode. I very much doubt that Rooster Teeth is making episodes of RWBY for $158 grand apiece.

How about this. Let's switch to notes. I'm not interested in beating you up on the forums over this. To the contrary, I looked over your Kickstarter, and I'm intrigued. so, let's at least chat some out of the public eye. :)
Beating me up? lol We're not a Japanese studio, we're Canadian. Having been working in the industry here in Vancouver since 2001 has allowed me to become intimate with production pipelines and costs locally of 2D TV broadcast series and feature films. However, you're  more than welcome to seek out a Japanese studio, or Rooster Teeth to produce a 3D show, if you're so inclined =). I am interested in my team earning a living wage, regardless of the Japanese practices: kotaku.com/the-average-anime-s… .
Amir146.deviantart.com is my online portfolio so far. I have other sketches and works in my book. My style changes so I can try to emulate the work you're looking for Feel free to email me at Amirshhd421@gmail.com
I go to school for animation so concepts are up my alley