Seeking a Team for PAID Pitch Project (10 Pages)

Seeking Team (Character Designer, Penciler, Inker, Colorist & Letterer) for Steampunk Adventure Comic Sample Pages (10 pages).

About the Project:

“Steam Powered” is an original story about the WW1 adventures of British agent Victoria Clarke.

Logline: When an adventurous British aviator nearly dies, an experimental surgery turns her into a cyborg with superhuman abilities, which she must use to prevent the Germans from using an army just like her to win World War 1.

Our story is set in an alternate history that bridges the gap between the Victorian Age and the two Great Wars, making the genre a mix of steampunk and dieselpunk. Our backdrop is a world ravaged by war, and terrorized by mysterious forces that use experimental technology and science to further their evil ambitions.

With a strong female protagonist, and original characters interwoven with those borrowed from history, this is a serial adventure that shoots for fun, sexy, fast-paced action, mixed with dark, tense danger.

You can see some recent concept work at: www.victoriaclarkeadventures.c…

Scope:

The project is adapted from a completed feature film script (a fully developed script, not a first draft). It is intended to stand alone as a creative endeavor, but to also capture the attention of the creative community and propel further development of a comic series and feature film franchise. 

I am self-funding the sample pages with the intention of submitting it to publishers and financiers for further development. The feature script breaks down into approximately ten (10) 24-page episodes. The first four issues, and the 10-page script for the sample sequence have been adapted and the remaining scripts are in progress and will be completed soon.

About Me: 

My name is Kendrick Wallace, and I am a feature film visual effects producer and supervisor with over 20 years of experience working on Hollywood film projects. I am new to writing for comic books but I am an experienced writer and have degrees in art, design and filmmaking. As a visual effects producer and supervisor I am used to directing teams of artists under tight schedules to realize a vision.

You can find me on IMDB at: www.imdb.com/name/nm0908737/

Pay:

My aspirations for this project are for it to be of the highest artistic and technical quality. This is a self-funded project, but I am trying to offer rates that will attract great talent who can dedicate their time to completing the project as efficiently as possible. The rates are negotiable within reason for the right artists. 

Pencil: $100/page

Ink: $50/page

Color: $50/page

Lettering: $15/page

Designs: $200 average per (major) character with key props (negotiable)

I am open to artists who can handle multiple roles, and will adjust rates accordingly.

Payment via PayPal (US Account) or other agreed upon arrangement.

•          50% upon commencement of work,

•          50% within 5 days of delivery of every (5) completed pages and invoice

Final pages to be submitted at 600 dpi in uncompressed .psd files in RGB color space at 200% final print size, with all original separate layers intact (pencil, ink, color, lettering) via DropBox or Google Drive (or other agreed upon method).

As I am not an expert in delivery for print I am happy to revise these specs based upon the team’s collective experience in this area. 

** Please note that all artists will be required to sign a standard NDA agreement and a work contract before receiving script pages or payment.  This is work-for-hire and all copyrights must be assigned to Ken Wallace Films LLC. 

About You:

You should be an experienced professional, published, with a portfolio of work relevant to some combination of science fiction, period adventure, and steampunk genres. I am interested in seeing your portfolio of both finished pages (sequential art) and also designs—I am interested in not only your work, but also how you work and how you think. All work should be recent and reflect your current level of skill.

You must speak fluent English, so that we may communicate effectively without resorting to awkward conversations via Google Translate.

Finally, you should be able to start immediately, and have an interest in a long-term commitment to the project should it move forward.

Schedule:

Work to commence immediately upon hiring of the team. Schedule to be determined and agreed upon after script review and analysis of the work to be done.

Working Together:

I am used to the collaborative environment of working on movies, and I like working that way. Having been deeply involved in the development of this project for over three years I have strong ideas about the look and feel, but I am also open to new ideas and I am very interested in what creative vision you will bring to the project. 

Please be a professional, ready and excited to work in a dynamic relationship in which the combined interaction elevates the work to a higher level. You must be able to meet a schedule once we agree upon it, and respect the fact that other people on the team will be planning their time around this schedule as well.

I prefer to see work rough and early so that we can discuss and refine the direction before it is carried out to a final stage. I’m used to seeing things very rough--it doesn’t scare me--I can imagine how it will look when completed.

Finally, a happy working relationship is crucial. We do this because we love it, right? This should be FUN! This is a nice way of saying that I am not interested in people who are miserable to work with. Life is too short!

Submissions: 

Email submissions to:

info@victoriaclarkeadventures.com

with the subject line “Artist Submission”. Please no PMs.

Please include: 

•          Your name and country (where the work will take place)

•          A link to your on-line portfolio with sequential samples

•          Concepts, cover art, character, prop & environment designs (if available)

•          Please only attach high-res .jpg files if an on-line portfolio is unavailable

•          A list/biography of published work

•          Personal References

•          Your e-mail, phone and Skype information

I will contact prospective artists on Skype (or by phone) after narrowing the search so that we can “meet” in person before I make a final decision.

I look forward to going through your portfolios and I will respond as quickly as possible to your submissions. Note that this is also being posted on Digital Webbing, so you may see it there as well if you frequent that site! 

Thanks!

Comments27
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hello!

if you are still looking for an artist... here are my sample artworks :)

First Page by M1karu Page 2 by M1karu Page 3 by M1karu Group One by M1karuGroup Two by M1karuGroup Four by M1karuGroup Three by M1karuSupah Soldiers of Doom :) by M1karuJared: ToxicHazard by M1karuScorpion Lady by M1karu Queenbee by M1karuCommission for Imagikey by M1karuLorelei by M1karuPonytail Lady by M1karuRiff Raven by M1karuSteampunk Girl by M1karuNephilim Sora by M1karu
Just wanted to once again thank everyone who has sent links to your work. I believe I've gotten back to all of the emails, but if I've missed anyone I apologize. At this time I have been in touch with everyone who is in consideration for the project.

If anyone else wants to send links I will review them for potential work in the future (I'm always interested in discovering new artists!), but I am no longer reviewing for the Steam Powered Pitch project.
Hi, see my gallery!
Dear Artists,

Thank you for your interest in my project and for submitting your portfolio. I am very impressed and amazed by everyone who has responded. At this point I have reviewed everyone’s portfolios to date, and contacted the artists that I feel would be the best fit for the project. If you were not selected for the project please do not take it as any comment about your work or your talent, it only means that I felt another artist’s style better matched my vision.

I wish all of you much success with your art and careers, and thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Best,

Ken Wallace

KENDRICK WALLACE • WRITER / PRODUCER
S T E A M   P O W E R E D
Hi,

I'm a 3d designer, check out my gallery + some more works available here: www.behance.net/Kazen

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!
Ingrid
Just a note to all to say that I am getting all of your emails and submissions and looking at every one! Sorry if I have not responded to everyone yet, but I promise I will. Thank you again for sharing your work and expressing your interest!
I'm interested in this great project, I've sent an email.
Hello, i sent you an email, greetings!

my DA: reinaldolay.deviantart.com/
Good luck with the project - it's a great project site. I'm not submitting as I don't think you are after cover artists at present. Look forward to seeing the results though. P.S. I love Abyss. Confused if you are based in US or France?
Adam
Lady Mechanika by artofadamlumb
I moved to France full-time last year, but I'm a US citizen. Lived in Los Angeles all my life and it was time for a change! Since I freelance on feature films, I have some flexibility in terms of where I call home :)
Enjoy France and good luck with the project.

Adam
furfurick.deviantart.com/galle…   check the first 4 pages =)
niickfurry@gmail.com
Thanks! I will check out your work.
Thanks for your replies--please note the submission instructions and submit to my email so that I can get all the submissions in one place. Thanks!

Email submissions to:

info@victoriaclarkeadventures.com with the subject line “Artist Submission.”

Please no PMs.

Please include: 

•          Your name and country (where the work will take place)

•          A link to your on-line portfolio with sequential samples

•          Concepts, cover art, character, prop & environment designs (if available)

•          Please only attach high-res .jpg files if an on-line portfolio is unavailable

•          A list/biography of published work

•          Personal References

•          Your e-mail, phone and Skype information