Isometric game artist (tiles / objects / animations)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a game artist to do a bunch of art for a procedurally generated isometric explore game. Smooth realistic style, no obvious pixel art. You may apply only for one of the categories below, I'm ok with hiring a few artists :)

1) Tilesets, 64x32 base. Just like the images below but for different ground types (looking for 4-5 more tilesets at the start). So basically same size, exactly same style, seamless transition, 2 height levels (one for water and one for ground, no height maps on ground), same sets (ground + water, ground type 1 + ground type 2, and a few tiles for ground type 1 + ground type 2 + water that aren't on the examples). Probably farm patches as well.

i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac…
i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac…

2) Isometric still objects, mostly otherworldy / sci-fi / fantastic, style matching the tiles. I understand that this is pretty vague and objects doesn't have set sizes and complexity unlike tiles. We don't have a list of objects yet, but these will include some basic objects (flowers, bushes, trees / forests, rocks / mountains, deco objects etc.) and structures (mines, caves, ruins, all kinds of unknown fantastic structures etc.)

3) Isometric animated objects. A bunch of collectible / huntable fantastic animals, plants and other living objects (PNG spritesheets). Animals won't move around the map and will stand on the same tile, in this case animation is needed to add some life to the still image.

4) 8 isometric animated character bases of fantasy animals for the tiles above (PNG spritesheets, 5 of the animals have wings), matching the tiles. They may be a bit bigger than a tile, but take 64px as a base size. We need smooth movement for 4 isometric directions (basically mirrored two) and standing on a place poses. More characters will be required in future.

We expect the artist to be creative in order to create the objects and sets with a particular style / theme themselves.

This a long-term ongoing project, so we don't have a strictly limited budget, but of course looking for offers to optimize the expenses :) Payment will be processed through Paypal.

Please apply only with relevant examples (isometric art) and a rough price either per single item or per set in the category that you apply for.
I won't reply to applications without relevant info, sorry.

Thank you!
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hi! Here are some samples I have of isometric art and I'd love to be of help in case you're interested.
Isometric Dirt Block by agifarclor
Alchemy Lab and Smithy Icons by agifarclor AoC: Buildings by agifarclor
Fairy Tale Themed Furniture by agifarclor Hellish Furniture by agifarclor Egyptian Themed Furniture by agifarclor Japanese Themed Furniture by agifarclor

Please feel free to check out my gallery too: agifarclor.deviantart.com/gall…
Thank you so much for your time! :thanks:
UPDATE!

Animator position is filled, we hope for long and productive relationship :)

Still looking for one more person for isometric props and objects.
UPDATE!

We have a woderful tile artist working for us, so this position isn't required anymore :)

Right now the most desired position is animator. 
My style would be perfect for this.

For a sketch I'd charge $5 per character. (takes about less than a week)
Concept Art: Vine Hand by maligniConcept art: Peasant 2 by maligniConcept art: Fighter by maligniConcept art: Hood by maligniConcept Art: Pumkin Men by maligniConcept Art: Cloak by maligni

For a simple bust I'd charge $12 for black and white and $25 for color. Plus an extra $7 per character. This includes free sketches and updates. (takes about a week)
 Apathy by maligniLady of the Dark by maligni

and I'd charge $15 for inked without color and $30 with. Plus an extra $10 per character. This includes free sketches and updates.(takes about two weeks)
I scream RPG by maligniDancing with the Enemy by maligni
Leg by maligniI scream RPG colored by maligni Green is cool by malignic04 by maligniRarkthor's Hold by maligni

If it's got a detailed background it would be $40. Plus an extra $10 per character. This includes free sketches and updates.(takes about two weeks.).
Wooo Scary by maligni

Mature Content

Elf Among The Bricks by maligni
Bee and Puppycat by maligniNinja Trio by malignic02 by malignico3 by maligniLet's Go Camping by maligniRosario Vampire by maligni

Don't let the prices keep you from making an offer. If the project interests me I would very willing to give a discount. For example, I would love to be commissioned to do a manga/comic but haven't had any offers yet.

Pay by PayPal please. I'd prefer to be paid half up front and half after.
Thanks for considering me.
Hello,

I'm sorry but I don't think that your style is a good fit for us. We need realistic style isometric game assets, including tiles, buildings, landscape and nature objects and all kinds of animals, not anthro / human characters. The examples that you posted don't have anything like this.
Okay here's some iso tiles for rocky dirt, like in a cave: Ground Rough
and here's some for alternate grass paths: Ground Grass

Except where obvious, these tiles are seamless, as the Diablo 2 engine used random tiles based on softcoded variables. If you're looking for something specific let me know. I have a lot of textures (most of which I use for UT99 map creation), and game items in 2D (not world objects, but character objects), some of which are loop-animated to look magical.
Thank you for the examples! :) And sorry for a delayed reply, somehow I missed the notification about your comment.
We're looking for a bit different type of overall style and tiles themselves. I posted the tiles that we already have for grassland and tundra above, they are overlapping each other a bit with extending texture parts like grass or waves. They are pretty the same with basic iso set from Tiled. I don't think that photo-based tiles and textures will work for us, sorry. They are too different from everything else that we have.
Hmm wonder what this will be used for ;) Wish I could do this kind of art. This looks very exciting. I'm a good ideas person though :) 
(Nightingale from BK). 
Hello there, I have a large experience working with isometric perspective. Note sent with detailed info.
Regards
I might be able to help. I have some old iso tiles I was planning to use for my Diablo II mod, but that project is on a backburner way in the back. I will be glad to upload them to you for restricted-use terms, or if you're okay with the Creative Commons license, i'll put them in my rarely-used gallery.

BTW, the tiles were supposed to be the dirt floor of caves and such, but I'm sure you could modify them to your use, if you need to. I think I also have some short-grass tiles.

If you need others, let me know. I still have the program I created to help me create the tiles from textures.
Thank you for reply! :)
We look to commission the tilesets that have exactly the same tile types and format that I posted as a sample. Basically this is the scheme used by default iso tiles from Tiled editor. If your dirt tiles made after the same pattern, we definitely could use them if you agree to create the transitions from them not only to water but to all other terrain types as well (we have grass and snow done at the moment), for a fair price of course. Could you please upload your dirt tileset for a quick check so I can see if its format works for us or not?
Thank you and have a nice day! :)
Some examples of the style and object types that we may need using the gorgeous images posted by talanted game artists here on DA:

1) Objects and environment:
HandyCraft - Forest Pack v.01 by AMD-Design Spring ruins by danimation2001 Plimouth Ruin Sewer Entrance by danimation2001 Dry Plains- rock formations by Vermin-Star EastMass Assets by danimation2001 Dungeon Entrances by danimation2001 Tlies for maps by Mangust-art
*don't look onto tiles here, the required tiles format sample is in the original post

Structures like these (sci-fi, teck, unknown, fantasy)
Workshop by ogami3d Temple of crystals by ogami3d Temple of light by ogami3d

Great examples of otherworldy flora and uknown objects (not isometric but we would love to have the same style and impression):
XenoBotany by corndoggy N.0.N.E.: Obelisks by corndoggy

2) Character animation
Out for a run. by BronzeHalo Bloodhewn flying by BronzeHalo Tiny walking dragon by BronzeHalo

Anyone interested? :)
I can do animation for ya :) My animation WIP:

www.facebook.com/constance.car…

Not totally done yet but it's getting there.
Thank you for your interest! Do you have any experience with realistic shading and anatomy and isometric images? I apologize but I don't see anything like that in your gallery. Your cartoon is great and very emotional, but it's a completely different style and skill from what we need for a game.
Hiya! Yeeeah me and my silly cartoonish-ness. ><

Here are some anatomy samples:

Creature anatomy study II by constancelea

Creature anatomy study I by constancelea

www.facebook.com/376016223879/…

www.facebook.com/376016223879/…
Sorry, I can't view your FB links, probably they are open only for friends.
We're looking more for realistic looking animal anatomy, there won't be any anthro characters. Our pets look like this:
beastkeeper.com/resources/pets…
beastkeeper.com/resources/pets…

Animal lovers may be demanding in a good sense of this word, so we want realistic anatomy and movement cycles for our animated characters as well. Combined with isometric view, this task requires some specific skills, part of them specific to game dev and part to animal drawing (animal anatomy and movement cycles - specific for each animal species, isometric rules, working with sprites etc). I'm very sorry but I don't see this experience in your art examples. Your specialization is a bit different, so I apologize but I have to decline your application.