Need something(s)

Okay, I need something. I need to know if anyone can do inexpensive scene art. I've got this scene I really want drawn out from this fanfic chapter I'm working on right now, and I've been doing this thing called Slicethepie and they sent 10 bucks to my Paypal. So that's 10 to spend. And I did a website beta test for this site called Usertesting.com. That's 10 more coming in 6-7 working days.

Here's the proof for the future payment. They told me in the little icon next to the payment pending that it will take exactly 7 working days.

sta.sh/01dp1yh06txl

My only requirements are to be capable, to be capable of doing inexpensive commissions (Cause I know some people like to charge a crap ton of money just for one thing. Such as 50 bucks for something even without a very detailed and introverted background), to be fans of the Hyperdimension Neptunia series (That way I can better expect them to be able to draw the character I want to show up) and to be able to draw my character in a specified manner (Nothing too specified but I'll note you the details).

So basically, if you can do this for 10, I'd be grateful, but if you really need 20, then don't worry about payment cause as shown, I can do a down payment of 10, then the rest when I get paid that last bit. And even if they scam me, I've got some emergency money in my bank account (with a bit of money coming my way next month from my dad). I really just wish I could get more than one pic of this scene drawn out. If you want I can send you the chapter scenario if you want. Maybe you might like it and find it in your heart to give me a bit of a discount.

I promise that I'm not scamming you. This is the proof of my Slicethepie payment.

sta.sh/01rsala2jka
Comments275
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
:lock: Please do not have more than one thread open about the same thing. Since you have created a newer thread with more refined details, I am closing this thread.

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?
Where exactly have you gotten your information from concerning freelancing artists? Have you ever consulted someone who has really worked in the field as a career?
Where are you getting the idea that I asked for professionally paid artists? Did I specify professional?

Have you ever heard of the fact that not everyone on DA is a professionally paid artist in the sense that they all make a living off of it? Plenty still live with their parents.
Regardless of your original intent, you stirred off into an offensive thread of arguments regarding artists who make a living off their art and I'm wondering where you were getting all of your information to back-up your claims/opinions against M-S-S.
For one, my biggest claim is that the middle class of the art world can't be compared to the middle class of the workforce world. You can't just claim that you have it as bad as people in the workforce when for one, you don't have to sign I-9 and W-9 forms to be able to get paid. If you don't do that in the workforce world, you're more than likely not going to be hired. And you're giving out Social Security information. A legal necessity for them to have. You don't give out your SS information when you do a commission to be allowed to be paid by law. An art commission is not on the radar and never will be because it's an agreement free of legal consequences like dealing in drugs or custom making cuban cigars. You have no legal risk other than not getting paid what you worked, and trained for. Cause work alone doesn't equate to an entitlement to the pay you ask. If you don't meet the standard for what was asked then it's not anyone's job to pay you. And if you meet too high a standard, then why complain to a guy not claiming to be asking for a high standard?

And to claim that artists who do commissions are entitled to the same pay rate, if not more, than people in the workforce is preposterous unless you're legally required to give out the info that they have to give out to employers. I had to give my street address and Social Security to work where I'm working currently. And I also have to answer to a higher power at every turn I make on the job. Not only are commissioners free to be paid without those crucial deferential pieces of personal information being given out, they also don't have to answer to anyone like I or other people in the workforce do.

You're also less likely to be criticized for asking for a huge sum of money. I can't just go and ask my boss for a raise of 13 dollars beyond my original payment just because I think I deserve more, and expect not to be laughed at and fired for even asking that. You don't have terminations like we do. A client might not pay. But that's not like with workforce people where you have shitty bosses who can fire you whenever they want and expect you to just take it. If I so much as retaliate, then regardless of reasons for termination, I'd never be able to work there again.

And free lancers on DA are not the same as other free lancers. For one, unless you're a nation traveling photographer, then you don't need  that many expenses as far as travel goes. Cause travel is more than likely more expensive than paying for your art material that you use. And food is probably something a lot of us cut back on. I used to spend 40-50 bucks. Now, I've made myself cut back to like 20 bucks and pick and choose what I want, but little of it. Then you have bills yes. But not everyone in the DA community lives on their own.

Factoring in those, and other factors that should be counted for, it's easy to see that free lancers don't have the same risks that people in the workforce do.

I did a commission for someone before. And guess what. I didn't have anyone tell me I had to sign an I-9 or W-9 form giving out my social security information. I just had to have PayPal since I didn't want to do points. All I had to do as well was make sure I got every detail of what he wanted down. But there was no such giving out of such dangerous information to a total stranger. While people in businesses might be more reputable, the point still stands that anyone working there who has that info, is still a total stranger to you and as a commissioner, one should not expect to be paid the same as people who HAVE to take far greater risks.
You said a lot without answering my question!

I can only assume you're arriving at your own conclusions based on your own experiences, therefore you don't really have the perspective of a freelancing artist who has been in the field and experienced what it takes to get by. As someone who has put their foot through that door, and I tell you that things become very legal if you want to make it as a freelancer and there are real risks. Did you know that there are some people who contract with artists and put in a clause basically saying that all work that the artist does will belong to them (even art outside what was requested by the buyer)? If a freelancer isn't careful, they can really get into some shit. Contracts are a huge part of the equation that you didn't factor in.

The money-making in freelancing art comes from signing over various licenses to businesses for use on t-shirts, book illustrations, etc. And they are either payed in a full-amount up-front, or based on royalty fees. This is a symbiotic relationship of a freelancing artist between someone (or a business) in a market to profit from a merchandise enhanced by an artistic graphic. 

Note that I'm not referring to the average commission interaction between DeviantART folk. We're talking career—earning a living, and why freelancing artists are just as legitimate as other workers.
And I never once talked and said I wanted career seeking people. Not once did I say that. But anyone who makes money on commissions is a free lancer. Not every free lancer is a pro who gets signed onto businesses.

Unless you as a commissioner on DA, are expected to sign I-9's and W-9's, then you don't ever have that risk when doing things on Deviantart. As I said before, you cannot compare a ordinary citizen who is a part of DA to a huge business who could easily pay you a thousand times over and still have enough to make their own products.

If you want to talk about and complain about compaines not paying free lancers enough, then why are you here complaining to a guy who's obviously not a company? That's what I want to know from anyone trying to complain about how a company pays you compared to an ordinary person on DA.

If you don't want any kind of payment other than business company level payment, then you should just get off of DA for life. Hardly that many are ever going to be able to pay you what you want in that case. Most from what I've seen are hardly even semi rich. Except for a few who have that much.
Do you even read what people are typing at you? You have not addressed anything I've said. You're way too caught up in your own world to have a genuine discussion with people.
View all replies
"For one, my biggest claim is that the middle class of the art world can't be compared to the middle class of the workforce world."

A claim that has no supporting evidence because you made it up.  Middle class is defined by income, not the means of that income.  Freelancers file taxes.  There is a record of every Paypal transaction.  You're making up a distinction that doesn't exist to hold up a pretense.  You're wrong and making shit up wont change that.  Middle class is middle class.  My mechanic takes cash payments that I know he doesn't declare.  He's still middle class.

"I can't just go and ask my boss for a raise of 13 dollars beyond my original payment just because I think I deserve more, and expect not to be laughed at and fired for even asking that."

Of course you can ask for a raise if you think you deserve it.  That's how people get raises.  Where do you live?  Cambodia? 

Of course you wont get that raise because of the times we live in, but it's insane to think you'd be fired for simply asking.  Just because you're content to be walked all over and are too meek to speak up for yourself(where it counts) and your dignity doesn't mean we all are.
1: You do not have to file the same taxes as the workforce people do. You do not HAVE to. So you're not at as much risk. Period. And what your mechanic does doesn't matter unless you tell me how much he charges for the smallest jobs and how often he gets work within a month. Not to mention he's not a free lancer if he's working for a company full time.

2: Where do you live? The place where bosses are not your bosses who can fire you for anything? You cannot ask for a raise OF TWICE YOUR INCOME AND EXPECT TO NOT BE FIRED FOR ASKING SOMETHING LIKE THAT. If you ask that, they'll laugh at you, and more than likely have you put off in exchange for someone cheaper. And then what? You think once you're gone, you're gonna be owed that extra 13 dollars? No. They don't want someone asking for a crazy raise such as double the amount you're at. Even in other times, regardless of the minimum wage, asking for double is bound to have them turn their heads and think about getting you out of there. Just because you think you deserve to be rich for whatever reason, doesn't mean everyone does. There has to be a reason. And in this case, it's all about quality of the art.

If someone of amazing skill can plaster 500 detailed characters into one image, then he obviously deserves more than a guy who can plaster only one or two detailed characters in an image. If the man who can do 500 can do just about every type of coloring imaginable, then he deserves more than the guy who can only do a traditional coloring that's half or only worth 35% of the better guys quality.

These and other factors decide the overall price. Nothing else. Skill beats hours for a free lancer.
View all replies
"You cannot ask for a raise OF TWICE YOUR INCOME AND EXPECT TO NOT BE FIRED FOR ASKING SOMETHING LIKE THAT."

Yes you can.  You're talking crazy. 
View all replies
lol @ this thread
I have to wonder how come u guys beat up this poor guy but leave this one alone

forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offe…

literally "low paying"
LOL
If I went after every cheapskate on here, it's all I'd ever do.  I check these forums for side gigs.  There's almost no serious offers here anymore.  SO if I see something that looks somewhat promising (meaning gas money) and it turns out to be like this thread, where they want an elaborate commission for $10 (maybe) $20, I jump on em.

In this case I just asked the guy to next time put his budget in his title so more discerning artists can save themselves from clicking and reading a crap offer.  And that sent him into a bitch fit.
And in this case I already told you I don't and will never have to support tl;dr illiterate ignorance and valuing a title more over context. You chose to go into "Fair pay" and then spouted a bunch of nonsensical bs policies that "EVERYONE SHOULD FOLLOW".
somehow its always the most mediocre artists who are the most vocal and demand the most money lol...
Either I'm right or I'm wrong, cheap insults not withstanding.   
Somehow I find it funny how the most radically paid of the average DA users think "capability to achieve a result" equals to quality art.

If people read and paid attention, then they'd be less of a n idiot.
I'm going to share something important to consider. You may be looking for a hobbyist artist at a $20 max—someone looking to make some pocket-change on the side of their career/work—but based on the arguments here I'm going to assume your target is someone looking to make it in the business world with their art. This is something I've learned from a commercial artist with experience in the field;

An artist needs to budget their expenses. They need to factor in the bills they have to pay, groceries, etc. when they price their work. It isn't enough to break-even obviously, the goal is to make profit and a living. And if "the customer won't pay what your time is worth, then that customer is not worth your time". Desperate times may call for desperate measures, like lowering prices or going without, but taking advantage of that like a leech is basically what is upsetting everyone.

But, like I opened up on; maybe you're looking for a hobbyist who is just looking to burn a little time, have a little fun drawing, make a little spending money. The comment strings don't really sound like it, but it is the only possible way to make sense out of what is being argued.
"... maybe you're looking for a hobbyist..."

But that's the problem.  This is a distinction without a difference.  Calling an artist a "hobbyist" as an excuse to pay them badly is BS.  If a person has a full time job and does art commissions in their free time they still should be paid industry rates.

Because what happens is a lot of green artists accept terrible rates and that drives the rates down for everyone.  Clients don't concern themselves with the artist's financial situation.  It's just an excuse and rationalization made after the fact. But that's besides the point, anyway.

Anyone selling or buying art should familiarize themselves with the actual industry standard prices. And any artists should be working to, if anything, raise, not lower, those standards;  For themselves and the good of the art community.

If an artist has steady income and doesn't need proper rates, charge proper rates anyway.  If you deserve to be paid at all, you deserve to be paid properly.

Imagine if all industries were like this.  Does a woman get paid below minimum wage if her husband is already earning a living wage for the both of them? Of course not.  That's absurd.  So to is this semantical nonsense about "hobbyists".

It's just an intellectually dishonest way for bottom feeders such as the OP to take advantage of people.
I've read through a lot of your responses on this topic and I do respect your opinion.

I'm not too familiar with industry rates, but I'm sure it isn't possible that every artist is able to earn the same living and that this can relate to skill. Once I finish my studies and earn my degree, I don't expect to earn the same living as an artist like Sergio Pablos. A lot of that comes with experience and growth to become more successful, therefore making the big bucks. But certainly, even for students, $20 isn't really attractive profit.

I do see what you're saying now. I guess you could say I fell into the DeviantART mentality after all these years—a mentality where work needs to be under $100, otherwise its 'not worth it'. Which isn't true at all! I should make myself more familiar with industry rates. One of my professors actually introduced me to the Graphic Artists Guild and they publish a book regarding this very issue! 

Thank you for your response, sir.
No problem.  We all fall into that trap because it's all we know.  But it's a really terrible state of affairs.  The price of everything has gone up over the last few decades as it always does, but the pay for many artistic fields has gone down, especially for freelancers.

The Guild is a great start, but it's really hard to hold a certain standard when so many are stuck in a much lower standard.  More than half of potential clients I deal with online scoff at anything in triple digits.  Thankfully there are still people out there that know what an artist's work is worth.

But we have to push back against semantic nonsense such as "paying dues", "exposure", etc.  It's just designed to rip artists off.  And these guys that come to this forum, always plead poverty. Don't fall for it.

My line is always, if you can't afford $100 for art, then buying art should be the least of your priorities because you're a week away from living on the street.  But of course that is never the actual case.  They're just trying to get away with something and too many artists let them get away with it.

But yeah, you're in school.  You're spending probably hundreds of thousands of dollars to learn a skill and are then met with people who don't think that skill is worth even hundreds of dollars.  It's insane.  

Anyway, best of luck. 
Reading your responses was giving me flashbacks to the early spring when someone was in here begging for penciled, inked, and colored comic book pages for $30 each. THE ENTIRE PAGE. She then decided to inform me that I couldn't possibly understand my industry myself, and that obviously an entire comic book page only takes 2 hours to make, tops. I was also informed that she couldn't possibly afford more than less than minimum wage, and she herself only made that, so it was fair. Oh and she was spending her savings on this, and not on her daughter, so I should be SO GRATEFUL to her sacrifice?? What is wrong with these people?
Wow, I love how SuperZombieGodKaiser is now trying to act like he's on our side. 

Let's review.

Earlier, he said, and I quote:

"To suggest that a person who wants a commission to not try and find a decent enough artist that excepts smaller payments to just forget it, is an act against human will."

Lol at "excepts".

"If someone wants to take it, then it's not your place to spew any bullshit."

"If you have more skills than another, and they charge less than you, it's because they're fucking smarter than you."

"You know this, they know this, and they're smart enough to do things like charing 15 bucks for their best."

Charing.

Yet, now to curry favor he says:

"Well you shouldn't have been involved with that person to begin with. A comic book page being worth 30 bucks is actually what people with half a brain would call the cheapest of the cheap."

So him wanting a full color piece with multiple characters and a background for $10 is okay, but someone wanting a comic page and offering three times as much as him is "the cheapest of the cheap".

And he tries to rationalize the difference by saying a comic page requires composition (though he doesn't know the term it's what he was driving at) even though his piece would also require compositional skills. 

Essentially he's calling himself the "cheapest of the cheap" if someone else asking for (charitably) double the work is paying 3 times as much.

All of a sudden he has pay standards for artists.  He's found religion.
View all replies