Comic Artist Required for Pencils& Ink

I am looking an artist to do approximately 190 pages of sequetional art for a graphic novel I have written. I would like the pages done in black and white, the artist would be required to do 3 pages per week which would last for approximately 65 weeks. Rates of pay are negotiable tho if possible I would like to try get the pages at around £15/$25 per page.

Please contact me with a note which includes your page rates and examples of sequential comic pages you have done pencils and inking for.

Comments62
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
For anyone interested in promoting the topic of Fair Payment for artists, you might want to join a group we've set up. Our aim is to collect information for commissioners and artists to make it easier for them to speak with a united voice. We've only just set it up but I urge anyone who speaks out about this subject to join so we can start making some progress and driving out the low payers and the artists who think it's ok to take these jobs...

fair-rates-in-art.deviantart.c…

For the OP there are a couple of journal entries that may prove useful when you find your low paid artist has stopped answering your emails...
hello there im kinda interested

here are some of my samples
Ravens of prey by GelodevsColor my world by Gelodevs Almost Valentine by GelodevsThe last of us by GelodevsGoodbye Link!! by Gelodevs
Dodging Hearts by GelodevsColateral damage by Gelodevs
#4 Cold war by Gelodevs#2 Law of Art by Gelodevs#3 Please don't lose me by Gelodevs#1 Todays the greatest by Gelodevs#5 too much work on a Saturday by Gelodevs#6 Reality by Gelodevs#7 Childhood memories by Gelodevs#8 Afloat by Gelodevs9# Black and White by Gelodevs#10 First Wave by Gelodevs#11 Let me sleep by Gelodevs#12 Swimming in sugar by Gelodevs#13 I have my own problems to solve by Gelodevs#14 Black Riding Hood =) by Gelodevs#15 Second Wave by Gelodevs#16 Love is a flower and you are its seed by Gelodevs#17  Spirited AwayYour real name is Kohaku. by Gelodevs#18 Toon Link by Gelodevs#19 Not black or white by Gelodevs#20 War on terror by Gelodevs#21 Another world by Gelodevs#22 Wash me away by Gelodevs#23 Almost is Never Enough by Gelodevs#24 Terra by Gelodevs#25 The Wind blows by Gelodevs#26 Clouds by Gelodevs#27 Moonlight Sonata by Gelodevs

size will be a4 at 300dpi resolution you can see all the details in that size

note me if interested price depending on details and difficulty =) ranging 15$ - 30$+
Hello,

I am trying to get new work as a sequential artist. I am a big fan of comics and manga, I think it would be awesome to do a comic with you! Here is a link to my gallery:

dr-doughdleoakxxx.deviantart.c…

I appreciate that you already have so much of the story written. That really gives an artist a better idea of the whole project and what the visual tone is. Hope your search goes well, at any rate!
Hi,

I'm interested.
Cmon Steven... just give us some respect! Thats all there is to it man.
price is the first factor , the price show your respect with the artist.
just amateur create one project with 190 pages for comics , is crazy if you think about the market and comics indusor like a pitchin to show for movie companies ou game companies.
this is job for one or 1 year for one professional artist for pencil+ink.
they really belive one " amateur artist" will do it??? just amateur work with this budget.
1 year??? the first offer with USD50 ( low too) the artist will say " GOODBYE MAN...."

one free advice, use your money..all money to pay a great artist for 5 pages, if you belive in your project...just not a guy " I want to see my history bring to life..mom!! dad!! look my book11"
use this 5 page sand one great cover in Kickstarter.
or work in little historys, 30 pages or less.
but, do a fantastic work...don't show more amateurs comics, anyone buy it!!
If you really belive in your history,and this is not a joke, the minimum rate fair for an artist is USD100...this is the minimum.
is better you have a professional apresentation with 5 page sand 1 cover,  all epople like to see teh great pages...your project on the top ( when the companies and custumers is looking news projects) is better tham 190 pages horribles, amateurs ....anyone spend the time to see or read it.

the secret to show your project is get the time of peoples to see your project....you NEED to have people see the arts and have interest in your history ....
you win with people looking and sharing your project.
This is REALLY very good advice. Will you consider joining our group?

fair-rates-in-art.deviantart.c…
That's good advice. :)
i'm interested, check out my gallery: joaquingodoy.deviantart.com/ga…
Could you send me a wee note please man. It makes it easier for replying on sunday :) thanks
Hi,

In Steven1987's defense, he isn't breaking any forum rules by having a low budget, and he has been very polite in his replies to some fairly aggressive comments.

I think it has been made clear enough (in at least 10 comments now) that the price is low and that we artists wish to improve the general awareness of reasonable art pricing.Maybe we can continue to address that issue in some other threads.

Overall I'd say Steven scores some "good client" points for having an established DA account with no hidden message or activity, for providing budget info up front, for using the word "negotiable" and for being polite. Price is not the only factor that makes someone a good client!

Pro tip for Steven: 190 pages is a huge undertaking even for experienced artists. You may find that a lot of artists quit in the first 3-10 pages when they realize how hard each page is and how hard it will be to finish 190 pages. If you get stuck in that situation you could break the project down into chapters of about 10 to 20 pages each and your artists may at least complete a full chapter before starting to miss deadlines or quitting. You may luck out and keep the same artist for multiple chapters.  If you have a style in mind, post sample images and that will help you attract artists who are more suited for the job.
Thank you for this comment I really appreciate it after some of the more negative responses I've had to reply to lol if what was said before and the minimum for this type of page is $100 per page im in serious trouble lol it would literally take 4 years or more to have it done. Guess im off to rob a bank lol. Again thank you for the kind comment and good luck :)
Yeah....bless him. He's been looking for an artist since 2009 and has upped his offer from $3 per page to $25..but it's his dream and he's giving 25% of his wages towards the artists living costs...
You are asking less than $12 a page in USD for something that takes HOURS even days for an artist to kick out, edit, render and finish a single page, and you need 3 pages a week!? in other words you are asking for someone with absolutely NO job and a ton of free time to work on these... Ending in a grand total of less than $50 a week...
Sorry darlin' but you MUST be new to this line of work...
You are going to get what you pay for, I can tell you that, the kind of people you will have jumping at this offer are unreliable and probably uneducated in the artistic void, resulting a lackluster product...
Im not quite sure how you calculated that but im offering $25 per page which I know is still not a great amount but its better than $12 lol
*hit wrong calculator  >.<
but still that is less than half of minimum wage... Liek i said, it takes hours, even days to make a single finished page and even if someone could push 3 pages a week out, they are making 120 TOPS a week and that is 16 hrs worth of work at a min wage job, totaling less than 500 a month AT BEST...
That wouldnt even cover rent, even if you had a room mate...
I understand that and I know its not great rates but unfortunately it is all I can afford currently.
If you understand, then you should nto push such unrealistic expectations for so little.
Im not pushing anything, I have offered what I can and people have applied. I havent forced them into anything what so ever.
creating a thread for a project is "pushing" the project my dear.
View all replies
Sorry for all artsit, I understand if you amateur or really need the job, But this is true..you are destroying a market that in future you will be

who makes proposals USD25 soon have proposed USD10, 

and the artist will survive each day of crumbs like this.
$25 per page is ridiculous, and the most ridiculous  the artist who accepts this alms to work