Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Sketchpaint Environment concept art for game backdrops - dark neo-gothic style

:iconhanakogames:
hanakogames Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
I am currently working on a project which involves the girls of an Elaborate University High School unraveling conspiracies and solving mysteries. It's a cross between a visual novel and a card game and as such will need many bits of background art, some that will cover the screen while the girls stand and talk, some that will appear only on the location cards. This IS a commercial project.

For this project, mood and atmosphere is far more important than fiddly detail or photorealism. I am completely fine with something that still looks rough/sketchpainted as long as it has feeling. However, I do want to go for a neo-gothic noir aesthetic, so even with the sketchiness it can be a little complicated. Stone walls, arched windows, dark colors, cloudy skies... if it looks like it would fit into a Castlevania game, it's on the right track. It's hard to find good visual references of exactly what I want, so I need someone with good communication skills who can help steer the art direction.

The sort of backgrounds that will be called for are mostly interior rooms in the stone neo-gothic school, but there will also be some outdoor images and a few locations around town. Trees, a museum, a coffeehouse, a playground, etc. I don't know the total number at this point but a rough estimate of 40-50 pictures seems like a good starting point. Most of them will only have to be card-sized, a few will be displayed larger. This is a lot of work, which is another reason that sketchy is fine, but it's STILL a lot of work. People who consider art at least one of their jobs rather than their hobbies are preferred here :)

I prefer to pay people with paypal but can manage some other methods as well; talk to me if you have specific requirements. I am intentionally not stating a budget here because I've had poor luck finding good background artists in the past - you tell me what you want to be paid, I'll see if it works.

Please do not reply to this by spamming a list of thumbnails that have nothing to do with this request! A link to some background work and a comment that suggests that you understand the style cues I'm going for would be nice. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheavycat:
heavycat Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Note sent.

Our most recent PC game art (8.0 rating on Gamespot): [link]

Heavy Cat Studios: [link]

We have a number of artists with a variety of specialties. We've developed or co-developed 31 games, published 13 books and we have a creative library of over 70 original characters. Visit [link] to see examples of our work. E-mail creativity at heavycatweb dot net if you have questions. Our Skype ID is heavycatweb

:iconnovtilus:
novtilus Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hi Send you a note:
our portfolio: [link]
:iconconde-makoto:
Conde-makoto Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
sent you a note
:iconolracadejup:
olracadejup Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Hi, I'm interested with your project! I'm a professional Freelance and concept

Artist

Please check my gallery on DA or email me at carlopujeda@yahoo.com