Character Design Required

Hi,

I am looking for an artist who would be able to furnish me with character design(s). These designs are intended to become part of the foundations for a comic book.

Work requirements
-----------------

Full colour, full body art comprising of two perspectives - 3/4 front and rear, posed with a headshot also featured.

High quality and keen attention to small details.

Finished digital artwork provided in .pdf format, resolution at least 600dpi.

WIP previews sent over at varying stages - i.e. sketch, ink, colour etc. These are, of course, expected to be sent over in a lossy format and not of the same quality as the finished product.

I intend to hire based on the styles featured in previous work examples. Brief details of what is preferred can be found in the Design Particulars section below.

Timeframes can be discussed, however I'm looking for, ideally, a one month turnaround. If you can finish the job faster, great. If you need a bit more time, we can talk how much more.

Communication during production will be conducted via email exchange, however if you require a real-time exchange these can be arranged via Skype.

Design Particulars
------------------

The comic features a near-future setting, in the middle of winter. Currently the year is earmarked as being around 2030. Characters involved would therefore still be wearing fashions similar to modern day. Military hardware and dress would also be very similar.

Overall the comic is intended to have a darker palette with the plot remaining particularly bleak, occasionally vicious with pseudo-religious themes and imagery - including representations of third sphere angels and demons. None of which goes beyond what you'd expect from comics like Hellblazer or Ghost Rider.

Style therefore cannot be anything 'cute,' giving a preference to more realistic or gritty directions. It's a harsh reality, art direction should reflect this.

Payment, pricing
----------------

I'm not going to float figures around. You'll know best how much your time and talents are worth. To that end I'd like you to submit a quote for the work outlining how much you would like to complete it. If you require more detail in order to properly cost, please let me know and I will do my best to supply you with the necessary information.

You will receive 50% of the commission cost on receipt of the sketched WIP, the remaining 50% when you are ready to submit the final product.

Payment will be via paypal only.

Rights
------

Ownership should transfer to myself after completion ( completion being defined as you having received payment and myself having received the finished product). You will not retain the right to sell the finished product or derivative parts of same however will retain the right to distribute it as part of a non-profit portfolio, for example, your deviant art Gallery, provided you clearly state that it was a commissioned work and, when/if one is available, you insert a link to the uploaded comic into the image description. Please take this into consideration when quoting for the work. Watermarks and signatures should be placed in such a way that they do not interfere with the design.

Contact
-------

For any enquiries, quotes or requests for more information please email me via mockharmonic(at)live.co.uk and feature "Deviantart Character Design advert" in your subject line. Please include links to your portfolio should you wish to quote.

Please also refrain from replying with your portfolio to this thread - all enquiries should ideally be sent to me via email so that they are brought to my attention in a timely manner.

Thank you for your time.
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
:lock: Thread locked at OP request :)
Hi All,

Please note that this ad is now closed. I've received a large number of replies, especially in the last 24 hours, so it may take me a little longer to go through every one of them. I'll be contacting several people throughout today - probably also tomorrow - to sort out the details, narrow it down and create a contract.

Thanks again
is this still available? You can check out my gallery to see if my style suits your needs
If this is still available, I'd love to work for you. The thematic style you are going for is very interesting, and something I believe to be a strong suit of mine. Here is my most recent digital painting: [link]
Hello! I'm interested.
Here's my info: [link]
Hope to hear from you! :D
Realistic portrait:
100 points
150 points

Fullbody character design:
400 points

Note me if interested, k? :D
Interested

Examples:
Sketch: [link]
Polished: [link]
Colored: [link]
Colored+BG: [link]
Re-bumping this one to the top. Also a little more information regarding the the overall concept, for clarification.

I've received a large number of very fantasy based work samples: Dragons, half-naked fair maiden's and Conan-esque axe wielding, bare chested types. Although those are all very impressive pieces of art I'm really looking for a more modern design. I've seen very little in the way of illustrations featuring characters dressed in designer clothing, for example. There are some fantastical elements to the whole package, however I'm looking to keep those as restrained as possible.

In that vein I felt I should talk in a little more detail, whilst still keeping it vague.

The story follows two characters on the precipice of the end times/ Armageddon / the rapture:
A male in his late twenties - murderer, drug addict, morally gray hitman by trade (not quite that simple, of course). By nature of the setting and his "profession" he'll be mostly cutting around in heavy coats, concealing the handguns around his waist and track marks across his arms beneath.

A girl, several years younger - damaged, alone and desperately searching for something to renew her faith in humanity. Similarly, heavy winter fashion on her end. I really -do not- want her to be sexualised in any way, as that would detract from her purpose.

A large part of their character development hinges around the girl using the guy, attempting to change him for the better in order to prove to herself that people and the world at large are essentially good despite how dark they can sometimes be. He reciprocates this, in part, affording her shelter and food as a method of clearing his own conscience.

So, to re-use a few words; I'm going for a dark, gritty and occasionally vicious feel. Violence, gunfire, blood (but avoiding gore), references to drug use to a backdrop of a world on the edge held barely together by a frail hope which does more to damage than heal.

I'm hoping the art, design direction can re-enforce those themes, without becoming too overbearing and complex from panel to panel.

I'll of course put much more detail across when it comes time to do so. I'm unfortunately just a little wary over giving too much information out on a high traffic site such as Deviantart and would prefer to talk specifics to a much narrower audience for the time being.
If I may, I can draw up free pencil sketches and then work from there. Is there any specific facial features or do I have free range?
Hi Maeko-haru,

Thanks for your reply. On finalising an agreement with the artist a written description as well as a few suggested sources for inspiration will be forwarded over to help pinpoint the rough idea. As long as the design remains within the broad strokes it will be acceptable. Any areas of concern would be brought up at the sketched wip stage, in any case.

I would say however that I've had a look at your gallery and although I really appreciate the interest I don't think you are who I'm looking for. Apologies and once again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Regards,
James / Mockharmonic
That's alright if my style is not your thing. Maybe you should put some examples of what you are looking for that way you get artists who would be suitable more than those who are not. Just a suggestion.
Hi Mockharmonic,here are a few examples of my art.
I must say I think my picture "Moon child" has a pretty cold bleak harsh reality feel to it.

Thanks
I'm interested, sent you an e-mail : >
It's only been an hour or so however I've already had a fairly large volume of replies from a good number of very talented people. With this in mind I've decided to leave the advert open until Saturday 26th, on which day I'll sit down, go through each reply again, make the decision and send out reply emails.

Thanks again for your time
Hi, I'm interested.

Kindly e-mail me or pm me if I will be selected. Thank you!
alonzoemata.design@gmail.com