Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 126

Paying 25,000$ for art. High-quality only. Please make sure to read entirely.

:iconlucidcreations:
LucidCreations Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hey guys!

So this is totally what I'm looking for for my big, exciting project:

I need 25,000 high quality full color, full body character illustrations.

I am paying 1$ per illustration. This may not seem like much, but all together, that makes 25,000$ for one lucky artist!! I have faith that even am amateur artist could complete 100 to 200 of these per day.

I will pay 10$ up front and 24,990$ upon completion of all illustrations. I want all of the high-resolution files before I pay you. I've been screwed by artists before, you know!!

Please don't respond to this thread if you plan to tell me that my demands are ridiculous or my prices are too low. I have no plans to actually read what you write or attempt to understand it logically. I just want slave labor, and I want it now. Plus, I get artists to work for me for this price ALL THE TIME. So does my friend who makes comic books - he pays 50 cents per fully colored page of panels!! So this is totally the norm and I really don't need to pay you more. In fact, I'm already paying you 25,000$!! Asking for more would be so rude.

Oh, and if possible, I want a high-quality 11x17 print of each individual illustration shipped to me.

I can't wait to hear from you!! I know there are plenty of budding artists who are dying to get into the industry and would love this job!!!

(**** This is clearly sarcasm. Man I am tired of threads like this. Just had to get that off my chest. Hope some of you enjoyed it. Feel free to close if necessary. )

Devious Comments

:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Interface Designer
Sorry, this forum is for serious use only :) :lock:
:iconmoofactory:
moofactory Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
It's nice to know I'm not the only one fed up with the idiots on both sides of the fence.

Great to see a post like this for a change.
:iconmay-eternal-moon:
may-eternal-moon Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hahaha, LOL, I was afraid it was real until I've read the last line XD
:iconthemim:
TheMim Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
made me laugh.
it's like that "clients from hell" website that I watch.
:iconmeganparkes:
meganparkes Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013   Digital Artist
thanks for this made me laugh, i hate seeing artists beg for low paying jobs (or jobs with insane conditions) when they're worth so much more!
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
No problem; I'll just put the kettle on, snort a couple of kilos of cocaine and have them ready for you by morning! :iconbritishplz:
LucidCreations Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I can't wait!! xD
:icontotemeye:
TotemEye Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Lawl so true... :heart: :I
I feel like some people looking for artists on DA have absolutely no respect to artist's hard work.
They think we are maggots and we are gonna be happy if someone will pay us 1$ for a hours of hard work. What the hell :T
Exactly!! It's nuts. :x
:icongoodverseevil:
GoodVerseEvil Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I will do it! I am not an artist......... but I still wanna do it!
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
although while we're at it... i do have something to rant about, but this doesn't just apply here, it can also apply to the projects forum XD i can't stand it when people say "looking for an artist to help me with a comic!! it's an action comic and i will split profit 50/50. note me if interested" and they barely explain anything about the project. what style do they want or not want? what's the story about? how long is the story? how old are the characters? does the story have mature content? what time period does the story take place in? are you planning to print and sell? how much will the artist get to decide character designs ad plot? are there any deadlines? argh it annoys me when people are not specific about what they're looking for. they assume people will note them and be interested in a project THAT THEY KNOW ALMOST NOTHING ABOUT. everyone, stop automatically assuming people are interested in your project!!! >__<
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
while i understand your point, please consider the other side of this argument too. some artists rarely/never get commissioned and would be happy to do one for a low price, even if other artists don't want something that low. (yes i'm an example... but don't make this about me because i am definitely not the only one like this!!) obviously not something as ridiculous as your post, but still. i totally understand why some artists are willing to work for a low price. whoever has been able to sell commissions for a higher price... just consider yourself lucky!! some people haven't been able to achieve that yet!

and also, the OTHER other side of the argument is that not everyone has lots of money to pay an artist. while it's fair for artists who see a low-priced commission offer to get irritated and think 'i have bills to pay, school books to buy' etc, just remember that that applies to the person offering to buy the commission, too! they too have various things they need to pay for and they only have so much money they can afford to spend on an artist.

don't get mad at me for what i said here, i am simply presenting the other side of the story.
Okay, I'll just point out why some of these points are invalid. I understand completely though and am not mad. :)

The fact that you rarely get commissioned is NOT a good reason to drop your prices. Dropping them and working for far less does not help you in any way and it doesn't really expand your customer base, either. You need to spend more time advertising and getting the word out and less time undercutting yourself. There is NEVER a good excuse for charging little to nothing for your art, unless you're just starting out and are not at a professional level.

I am NOT lucky to be selling commissions at a higher price, I simply set a price that my time is worth and then spent a LOT of time working to build a client base. It's very hard work and anyone could do it. Not luck. :)

The prices that have been offered here are not enough to live off of- I'm talking about professional artists who actually do art for a living to survive. If what you get paid (such as 2$ per commission) is not enough to survive, then you are not a professional artist, you are a hobbyist. That's VERY, VERY different. Imagine struggling to LIVE OFF OF what you made here at DeviantArt.

If a person does not have the money to hire an artist, they should not be hiring one. Let me compare it to something else, say a person who wants their car fixed - you can't just ask random people on the street to fix your car for cheaper because you don't have any money - you have to find a professional mechanic and pay them to fix it for you. The same applies for art. If you want a logo for your company, you need to invest in an artist to make it. Looking for artists to make it for very cheap or free is like looking for a 6-year-old Chinese child to fix your car because it would be cheaper. It's disrespectful.

If you want to make a PARTNERSHIP with an artist and you both work for 50/50 on a project or for projected revenue, then that's a different story. But asking an artist to work for less than minimum wage is horrible and uncalled for. An artist has bills to pay WITH THEIR ART because that's what they do professionally. So yes, that is a valid excuse. And a person hiring an artist to do something for them simply should not be doing so without having money. Same way in which you would not ask to hire a mechanic if you don't have the money to fix your car. :)

You have to avoid looking at this from someone doing casual commissions or someone fresh out of high school who needs money to go out for drinks or buy some cool new pants. This isn't money on the side for some of us. I'm talking about professional artists who want to do this for a living and have to pay to live with their art.

I hope that helps. ^_^
:iconrobekka:
robekka Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Reading this with tears in my eyes dude! Thank u!
Excellent!! XD

I'm glad so many people can relate to this but also sad. We need to educate more clients and artists to charge and pay what they're worth!!! :(
:icondestriarch:
Destriarch Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Of course, you realise that if you hadn't put in that last line, somebody would still have contacted you offering to do it, right?
The state of job offers on DA depresses me as well sometimes, but not nearly as much as the eagerness of the artists to reply to them.
I have received one private message from someone wishing to apply for the job even with that last line. xD

And yes, it is sad. People don't even read...they just post their info everywhere and don't even know what the job entails.
:iconjedipencil:
jedipencil Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Hahaha!!!!! Sadly, it's the state of much of the industry.

But it still made me laugh.
It is sad. I'm struggling like crazy as an artist trying to make a living...still have to have another job to supplement it. It's insane trying to find clients who are willing to pay even a living wage's worth, let alone a professional's wages.
:iconhardrockangel:
Hardrockangel Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was so relieved when I read the end about it being sarcasm. So. Damn. Relieved. :faint:
LOL. Good, good...man it would be scary if it wasn't. :X
:iconyiolo:
yiolo Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
it's a joke, unfortunatly too close to reality ^^
It is super unfortunate. It drives me nuts.
:iconred-baby:
Red-Baby Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I raised my eyebrow and kept thinking 'seriously?' while reading this til I got to the end.
I was so relieved =D
Good job on this thread
LOL the sigh of relief at the end was worth it I hope. XD

Thank you!!
:iconmatandre:
MatAndre Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Awesome! I was reading and partially surprised but sadly bought that it was a serious request the whole time... It was all too believable! Thanks for standing up for the respect of art and it's creators!
Thank you!! I'm hoping some clients read this and realize what they're asking for is so ridiculous. I'm tired of people thinking art is just a fun hobby that we don't expect to get paid for.
:iconruxandralache:
RuxandraLache Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I love you so much for doing this! :laughing: Kudos to you!
Thank you!! Power to artists. ;D
:iconserathus:
Serathus Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
LOL! this is awesome
Thanks. XD
:iconelangkarosingo:
elangkarosingo Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
hahaha: rofl: unfortunately there are a lot of artists here who give low rate
Very low!!! :(
:iconlittlesardines:
LittleSardines Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Filmographer
lol. It's nice to visit this thread right after reading a serious post on the same subject. :pat: Thanks!
Anytime!! I'm glad you liked. :)
:icontestosteronman:
TestosteronMan Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
:iconl3moon-studios:
L3Moon-Studios Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional General Artist
Cant stop laughing at this! LOL!

You should have added that your paying 50 points as well. :lol:
Oh, damn, that would have been good to add. LOL
:iconrhuni:
Rhuni Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
LOLOLOL This. Is golden.
XD Thanks.
:iconanekdamian:
anekdamian Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
This job forum has become something barely usable. :/
I agree with your sarcasm and feeling.
Thank you!! I agree, I wince every time I check it. And I WANT the jobs to be awesome, but there are so many hobbyist businesspeople or just cheap asses who want stuff for nothing. It's frustrating!!
:iconthierryclan14:
thierryclan14 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I see what you did there.....
:P
:iconkaiverta:
kaiverta Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Bahahah!

Great post. XD
Thank you!! XD
:iconjustinaadams:
JustinAAdams Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
What this job forum area needs is to be subdivided like on other sites. One section for gigs that pay $200 and under and the other pays $200 and over. Or something of that nature.
Sure,yeah! But people shouldn't be asking ridiculously low amounts for good art either way. Clients and artists should both have a general understanding of what art is worth. :)
:iconjustinaadams:
JustinAAdams Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
shit man, I was gonna bite on that. Damn...
LOL.
Add a Comment: