Album Cover Needed!!!

Firstly - being honest and upfront, we have no money. (Just thought I would get that out of the way)

I am in a band, and am looking for a album cover. We are female fronted rock, like evanescence. And the album cover we would like is for our album called Be{LIE}ve - the songs are about relationship lies, demons inside you (metaphorically speaking) - well you get the idea. I can always send some mock ups I have made, with the help of a few other people, but nothing gets the spark at the moment.

We (as a band) can obviously credit it to you - we have a distribution deal, (just we have no money though, the album is self funded). The album will be released in UK, Europe and possible Japan/USA too.

You can hear us www.curvatureband.co.uk

I hope to hear from you soon. My email is shifty2604@gmail.com

Dave
Comments16
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hello! I'm interested in your project and If you are interested in my work, please visit my profile and note me :)
Some samples in my work just to give you a bit of an idea of what i do, please see more in my gallery if it catches your eye~
~~~
I agree with marblanco and others,anyhow here you'll find the same quality job for free as your previous cover ,so I recommend to invest a little more in cover art,does not make sense spend money for record,print etc and then destroy all...that maybe someone will not buy it just for a bad cover,a lot of bands invest money in their project and then release it for free.These bands have more chance to emerge and will be rewarded one day.
But in the end.. the decision is yours!
Thanks to those that have been helpful. I will admit, yes we can design the cover ourselves, and yes we have had a few - very good and kind offers. We play gigs for free, we travel for free and late in to the night. The album has already cost in excess of £2000 GBP, but was looking for that little spark.

Thats all, I know people need to be paid - and hell, we would too for every gig. But sometimes you have to do free stuff to get the bigger picture. Thats all.

Sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention.
Your situation is understandable. I think we are here trying to you to realize that marketing is all right now, and you can loose all the money and effort you put in your cd just for a bad cover. It goes that way. Just think in you as a customer when you buy books, music, movies, etc.

The movie could be excellent but if you make a bad trailer, in the end you will have a failure.

I think we are a little tired about people thinking art needs to be free just because a project is charitable, there is not money, a tight budget, etc. That is everybody problem, not ours.

I don't feel offended anyway :)

Just to use your example to illustrate the situation: The cd is YOUR project, if you like to make gigs for free, it's ok. But I am sure that you didn't tell the guy at the recording studio "Hey, you need to see the big picture, we don't have money".

The same happens with art. In the end as the phrase says " you got what you pay for". If you pay 10 for a cover, that cover won't be the same one than a 500 cover.
Well said. A cover is important, in fact i have found myself in the past buying albums just because of the awesome cover.
Yes. The fact is that a cover speaks about the "image" of the album. I think the best example is Iron Maiden and their Eddie's covers.

When I see a really bad cover I just think, this guy/band or whatever doesn't take care about his image and now we are 100% visual people, more than never. Even when you can just hear the music in Youtube... And a lack of a good image in all the pack looks unprofessional.
So true. All of the above. I know every artist respective of field is trying to make their way and earn a living.

You can see our previous cover here:

[link]

That was designed by me. I just can't hit the nail on the head with this one, which is why I posted here. I have seen some fantastic work, and I know we just don't have the money to pay atm. I am sure it will come, maybe later rather than sooner, but it will come. I do appreciate all the comments here though. I really do.
I might suggest that you actually invest in a good artist to make you a nice cover.

CDs with shittily-made covers are an instant turnoff for marketting and shitty is what you'll get for free.

Have your band save up 100$ between the lot of you..you must make money somehow...and invest. You won't regret it. :)
Hi,
Job Offers is for paid work only.
You can contact a moderator here: [link] or here: [link] to move your thread to projects where it would be better suited.
art for free, art for free, art for free... those stupid artists... art for free...

lol... that's what rolls in my head all the time when I see posts like that ;-)
Good one, Stifflekemyers. I always think of "it can't take them THAT long to draw a page. They just sit around all day anyways. They should be honored to work on my project."

@Shifty2604 - while your situation is very understandable, it's not fair to assume that you have to do free stuff to get to the bigger picture. This is not always true, and certainly not true in my case. I can't think of any project I ever did for free in the past that actually advanced my career. Sure, there were a few more additions to my portfolio, but I could have done those for myself and of whatever image I wanted. You should at least be offering an artist royalties or something. It's not impossible. Why should an artist bend over for you, for YOUR project, if you're not willing to do the same for the artist? You need an artist a lot more than an artist needs you. No offense, but it's absolutely true. Just because you have a distribution deal and the cover will get seen by more people is not as great an incentive as it was 10 years ago. Anyone can get their work out there in countless ways these days. As LucidCreations suggested, try saving up $100 between your group and put that towards a cover. It's still a very low rate for an album cover, but it's better than offering what you're offering now - which is nothing.
It is funny how you forget to put some money in something, perhaps, the most important thing which is marketing, because people (all of us) continue judging a book by its cover.

I laugh when I see or hear things like "It is a perfect opportunity for your portfolio", or people speak about visibility, as if they were Iron Maiden.

Good luck anyway, you have nice songs in your web. :)
get each person from your band to put $10 on the table. you won't be laughed at that way.
album is self funded - how if you have no money.. oh you have no money for just cover is that it ? well then .. go fuck yourself !
Unfortunately this forum is for paid jobs only. You should head to the projects forum. Although I should warn you, not many artist of decent level would work for free... "Credit" and "visibility" don't pay bills. Good luck..