Closed to new replies
December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

[LFA] 3D Terrain Artist (Tiles)

:iconllam4:
Llam4 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
We're looking for a talented individual capable of creating multiple terrain tiles for an upcoming hex-based game. You will be responsible for sculpting and texturing each tile as well as any additional models belonging to the tile (Trees for a forest, rocks for rubble, etc). We will provide tools for testing/viewing your tiles on our game board in real-time for efficient debugging.

We're looking to make our hex terrain very aesthetically pleasing. Our artistic direction is somewhat of a cross between Diablo 3 (Dark, smooth, with striking glow/bloom effects) and DotA 2 (Smooth, simple color palette, somewhat cartoony).

Although it doesn't follow our artistic direction, an example of terrain we find of moderate production value is that of Civilization V: [link]
We currently plan for 5-6 tile types, of which we will have multiple (3-4) variations:

- Plains
- Desert
- Forest
- Hill
- Rocky Hill?
- Swamp?

Of course, this list may change.

Please respond to this thread, or PM me directly, with some terrain work you've already completed along with your asking price per tile. We're looking forward to working with you!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheavycat:
heavycat Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Note sent.

Video Intro: [link]

We have a number of artists with a variety of specialties. Visit [link] to see examples of our work. E-mail creativity at heavycatweb dot net if you have questions.

:iconchen-shin:
Chen-Shin Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Do you know what is 3D? I doubt you know what exactly it is :p
:iconpolymune:
PolyMune Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you could've provided at least one thumbnail/image that was related to the job post and I think it'd make your application stand out better. They are looking for 3D work and all you posted was 2D stuff. Just a thought! :D
heavycat Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You're right. We've only developed or co-developed 29 games. We have no idea how to do terrain tiles.
:iconpolymune:
PolyMune Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
No need to flaunt your success(?) and I guess you missunderstood what I wrote so to clarify: your 'copy and paste structure' into every job posting without showing examples catered to the desired project does not help your case.

You have absolutely nothing in your copy/paste examples showing any sort of 3D directed at this post, nor is it very easy to navigate your 'linked' examples to find it. That is what I was getting at, has nothing to do with how many games you worked on or what your talents are but very quickly looking at your post I'd move on because you have no examples of 3D work and that is what the employer(person who posted this) wanted to see. You brought none, makes people feel like you didn't even read the job posting, you just copy and paste the same message without reading what someone is asking for.

Maybe a better plan would be to have different formats when applying to different jobs: going to apply to 3d jobs? have a text document you can 'copy paste' (which seems to be what you do) with only 3D work, and so on. :) When someone asks specifically for a certain style of work, doesn't matter what other work you did or worked on, they want to see first and foremost examples of what they are looking for. Nothing wrong with copy pasting your stuff, just be helpful if you actually showed examples of what they were looking at or anything 3D for this particular posting might've helped you.

:) Take care
heavycat Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
We don't reply to every job posting. We only apply for those assignments for which we are qualified and I read every one. We happen to be qualified for many kinds of assignments, including 3D terrain textures.

The examples are to demonstrate general commercial quality, not any specific type of art.

Most conclude from our showcase and galleries that we are a studio with considerable experience shipping actual product, which we are. For clients who are serious about getting the job done, to my way of thinking, that is far more important than the absence of one narrow category of art from our thread reply.

You have a real nice day.
Add a Comment: