Comic book artists wanted

I'm looking for artists for a comic script of mine. Normally, I would solicit for an entire issue with one artist, but time is of the essence for this one, so if each artist could do an issue, it would save a lot more time. I'm able to pay $5 per page. The comic will be in print and standard comic size. I don't have a preference as to style of art (with the exception of stick figures and sprites) or whether it's digital or traditional. I do say that it must read left to right and I prefer color (though the latter can be done by a different person). If it could be done in a week, that would be ideal.

I also have other scripts, which I would want whole artists on each. The $5 per page still applies, though I prefer to steer people towards taking 50% of the proceeds off the sales of the book in that circumstance, since I can't pay up-front on everything, sadly. When your funds are limited, your funds are just limited.
Comments59
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Hi Im a freelancer illustrator able to work on every step of the process (script, pencil, ink, color, lettering), please take a look at my online portfolio, and feel free to contact me immediately if interested.

chocoboninja@gmail.com
[link]
hi i am really interested . i can do lineart and coloring as welll . please take a look at my gallery [link] !!!
I replied to your note.
Hello!

I would definitely be interested in the job. I pride myself on being very versatile with my art style, and am confident that I can give you what you are looking for. :) Since I'm just starting out, and need the experience, I could work for the price stated.

Take a look at my gallery to see some of my work. If you are interested, please note me.
I sent a note.
Hi. Please take a look at my portfolio at www.diogolando.com and contact me if you're interested in my work and want do discuss more details about the colaboration/job
Regards
Diogo Landô
I sent you an e-mail.
That's actually pretty funny. And poignant. We as adults really are too reactionary to being offended. Still not going to watch shows that strive to offend all that often, but still, that's a good thing to think about.
For the sensitive artists :D
Starving artists just want to rant and will pounce on every cheap or especially 'heeey i want you to draw all these difficult things for me but i won't pay anything for it lololol' poster that didn't read job offers forum guideline.
'Starving Artists' I hate that expression. Rant and pounce? Very professional.
Hey Shasta, what do you do for a living?

Are you willing to do it for 5$ a day? Maybe 10$ a day?

No?

Then don't ask us to.
I'm fully aware that this is probably a foolhardy endeavor. I hate not having money. If I felt I had the talent, I would do the comic myself.

Really, I see the responses and I want to curl in a corner because I never wanted to be seen as one of those people who feels entitled to such things. I fully expect when asking to get people saying no or not to respond. Artists should know what they're worth and I am not asking enough for most of them. I get that.

And I don't know what to say other than that. Chances are this post is just going to get negative responses. But that's what happens, I guess. I really am sorry for such things. Sometimes hope overrides common sense. That seems to be what happened here. Maybe some day things will be better for me and I can afford artists who are worth something.

Probably shouldn't have posted this in the first place, but what's done is done.

And in closing, to answer your question, with my job, I would take an offer of $5 to do a comic page. I never should expect others to, but I just wanted to say what it is for only me, and hope nobody thinks I'm trying to place my value into an expectation towards everybody else. Besides, my art sucks, so of course I would accept less.
I actually didn't ask if you would take 5$ per comic page. I asked if you would work for 5$ a day at your current job instead of what you currently make. Because that's about the wage you're asking to pay an artist, who does art for a living. :P In any case...

If your project is SERIOUS, my advice would be to save up money so you can hire a quality artist. A good full-page comic page can take a full day or even two or three(depending on the style or pencils, inks, and colors you want). If you want quality work, you should save up for it. Hiring someone who WILL do it for 5$ (probably) won't end up getting you published or your comic seen, because it won't be high quality. It really depends on what you're looking for.

Are you looking to get published? Are you a small company? Are you just a kid in high school who has a good idea but no money?

If you are the latter, then I'd suggest finding a younger artist who is willing to COLLABORATE with you for 50% of the profits and post this in the Projects section. It may be more successful for you and you won't offend artists by asking them to work for slave wages. :)
I do generally look in Projects, but I think I jumped on the idea that I could pay an amount, even if it's so small. It wasn't the smartest thing to do, I understand.

And the sad thing is that at my age I should be better off than I am. I'm 28 and have a college degree, but I work 14 hours a week and don't even own the place I live in. My savings are mostly to get myself established so I can move into a better place (somewhere with an actual front door, for instance). My comic endeavors are in part to do something worthwhile with what I'm truly good at (writing) in the genre I truly love (superheroes). The biggest obstacle is the lack of a coherent artistic community where I live, because if we had one, I would be able to interact with the artists and find ways to work with what I can in that regard. If I'd been looking while going to college, things might have been easier, as the artistic community there was much more nicely established. But, alas, I was focused on studies.

In fact, the artist I desperately want to do my comics that I know is actually in my family, but he doesn't have access to the Internet (or even a computer) and I would rather pay an artist over PayPal (plus, I don't have hard copies of the script or references--I should do something about that). I should talk to him, though, because I should be able to work out something. But I also don't want him to feel obligated because I'm a family member, especially when he has his own personal issues to deal with day to day.

But I will say that I'm not brushing off your suggestions. They make sense. I'm just explaining where I'm coming from. And rambling. I'm good at the rambling.
I do understand where you're coming from. Clearly you're more interested in doing your thing than you are in screwing people. :) I'm glad that you took the time to reply rather than just telling me to fuck off and that you'll hire someone from India and get everything you want for 5$. (That happens to me on probably a daily basis here)

It's a tough world when what you want to do isn't easy...trying to be a freelance artist nowadays and support myself is almost impossible, especially with how many people want to screw us. I have to work somewhere else at least part time because I simply can't get enough work that pays well with art. It sucks!

I think you could easily find an artist who is willing to make a small gamble (especially if they like your script) and help you out. I'd just go about it differently, maybe, and try to get people really interested in what you're doing. :)

On that note, if you need someone as an inker, as my art work is currently very slow, and I would be up for helping you out (assuming you don't find someone to do all three). Provided you don't have insane time limits, I think I could find time to do this and make a contract with you in case you do actually publish or something. Just let me know if you need inking/what you think of that. ;)

([link])
I'll try to keep you in mind. Thank you.
5$ a page?, I don't know a single artist that would do a frame for 5$
And I'm sorry. Please refer to my post above (if you want to pay me any more mind) as to my mindset with things. Maybe this post will quickly die, or something.
"since i can't pay upfront on everything"
It's 5$/page and you won't pay it upfront :cry: ?
I meant on everything. The times I do make an agreement to pay the artist, I will pay up-front. I just don't have much money. See above for my apology to everybody and whatnot. I really am sorry for this post.
I recommend to view at this PDF file, which shows how to commission an artist. No real professional artist will work for $5 per page - a comic needs TIME, and time is MONEY. This PDF file, created by professional artist Randy Gallegos: [link] will show you what you have to do for hiring any artists you are looking for.

This PDF is also useful for artists who want to educate their potential clients. Good luck. And if you haven't seen the link above, here it is again: [link]