Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 206

50 characters for 250.00 - plus promotion of the artist!

:iconwcu-president:
WCU-President Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
My goal is to create a card game, and I am looking at 50 unique characters.

My price range is 5.00 to 10.00 USA, however, I prefer to be within the 5.00 range with copyright to myself. Thus, at 5.00 for 50.00 this would be a commission of 250.00.

The unique characters are from the public domain. EG: Cinderalla, with a twist (The Diamond Princess)

In this Cinderalla, I picked Mystique's dress and the Diamond Texture of Emma Frost.

In addition, I am fine with the artist promoting his/her work for promotion. I also would like how the process was
done step by step as a tutorial like on dragoart.com art.

This would be on webcomicuniverse.com (my site) which has news feeds, a superhero maker (in flash - for thouse who can not draw).
The card game will also promote the artist.

1) This is Mystique's Dress:

[link]

2) Emma Frost Body Texture (not on face though) - looking for a beautiful face!!
[link]

Interested in this type of face and body Style:

[link]

Final Product (Cinderella, The Diamond Princess) - note this was from a fiverr artist that since left the site

[link]

The goal for the artist, as a test is to create a new Cinderella, The Diamond princess in their own.

I have posted this before, just wanted it be more clear - to recap:

1) original Art (full color character) 50 characters at 5.00 each for a commission of 250.00 US (Potential for 10.00 but not preferred)
2) All Copyright transferred to me (webcomicUniverse.com)
3) Inadditional, (another positive aspect) Art drawn step by step to show disadvantaged children how to draw and motivate them (displayed on webcomicuniverse).
This is similar to dragoart.com, but with a charity aspect.
4) You as the artist, can promote this work however you want including your own websites etc. When the card game is produced your name will be included.

Please read, and advise that you agree to all of this stating "I agree".

Thanks

Fizul
WebcomicUniverse.com

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconckdreamer:
CKDreamer Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
if you're still looking you could try [link]
her, she does 5$ a char art, in a comic style.
:iconadrolien:
Adrolien Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Not really wanting to jump on the "rant-athon" band wagon but I'd just like to say. You (@ the thread creator) keep saying you don't mean to insult and this is for those who really need it / draw because they want to. And people from other less developed countries.

I take insult at the fact that you feel just because a person is from a less developed country that, that means they should be happy with these kind of offers as they will "help"

I come from a 3rd world country and even though our currency is 10x weaker than yours. What you're suggesting is 3+ weeks of 12hours a day (fat chance on having that kind of time for a hobby as you seem to feel that this is the type of person who should be accepting this offer) at that rate for 3+ weeks... doesn't even cover what we consider minimum wage here.

Please, I kindly ask that if you're going to make comments about other countries and what we would consider good pay / an amount that would help us. Read up. We're worth good pay just as much as the rest of the world. Even if the currency conversion seems to make it "more" for us.

Ciao ~

@the others (seriously) looking for more jobs than here or craigslist, maybe try elance.com
:iconauffallend:
Auffallend Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
"5.00 range with copyright to myself."
For people who usually charge $15- $500 per picture for the kind of art you are looking for, this is a TERRIBLE deal for the artist, especially when you are wanting to make a TCG... Artists for TCG usually get a portion of the revenue generated VIA the TCG as well as a MUCH higher base commission price.
:iconhardrockangel:
Hardrockangel Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
5.00 range with copyright to myself.

That's quite the awful deal for the artist who makes the drawing.
If you want both a well-made drawing and the copyright to the piece, you'd easily be looking at prices of $250 and up per piece.
:icondigitalmake:
DigitalMake Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hello,
i am interested in the job offered.
will like to introduce myself , i am a professional digital artist ,
I am currently working as fulltime freelance digital artist here as i have
just lost my job. i hope i can earn some little amount from here till i get
a new job. please support me by commission me. thank you.

I am holding a promotion of 3 artwork and you will get a free one on any of the catalog.

The following is the example of work i have done latest.

This is the Video Reviews of my latest commissioner.

[link]
[link]
[link]

Please contact me at digitalmake@hotmail.com or note me here for more detail of my service.
THANK YOU.

Regards,
DIGITALMAKE
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
DO you realize the amount of work that is going to be going into 50 quality paintings. Thats at least a year of doing 1 painting a week(a week is quick considering doing an original painting)not no garbage style anime drawing with colored pencils. A good quality painting. You should rethink the 50 images and focus on less, till you get more funding to actaully pay an artist a far wage for doing that amount of work while still releasing the rights to their work to you. FOr that price you wont find any quality artist willing to do that amount of work for next to nothing.
:iconwhipsmartmccoy:
WhipsmartMcCoy Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
A suggestion:

- Use the $250 budget to commission five trading card illustrations

- Use those illustrations to promote your project and raise funds using Kickstarter or a similar service

- If the project receives funding...
a) you have the marketing chops to successfully promote your product
b) the idea is financially viable, making a large-scale investment less of a gamble
c) you can afford to pay your artist(s) a living wage without affecting your personal bank account
d) you will have the beginnings of a dedicated following in your Kickstarter backers

- If the project does not receive funding...
a) you know that your idea needs to be retooled in order to better appeal to your target audience
b) you have five stunning pieces of art that can be used for the next go
:iconmoofactory:
moofactory Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
+ 1 this.

I said kickstarter previously and he just seemed to snub his nose at the idea.
If he was serious about this working that's exactly how he should do it.

But he won't... and this will fail.
:iconraiyneofgailin:
raiyneofgailin Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
He will get someone to do it, just not an artist. But that's what is great about these kinda people - they don't know what art is. They look at a stick figure drawing and think it's AMAZING!

And meanwhile, real artists like ourselves go hungry...
:iconindiron:
Indiron Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
No shit lol, the other day a dude called me insane because my price was 100 bucks for a huge landscape with tons of detail (that includes 2 castles, horses, every single flower detailed and god knows what else..) He was ready to pay max up to 30$ because he thought that "illustration is the comedy of art and does not deserve more". I would rather fucking eat myself and die - literary, then work for an idiot like that. Expecting quality for a lowball price and then dissing the type of art that he is so "desperately in need of". Fucking hypocrites and slave lords.
raiyneofgailin Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I wouldn't give them too much thought. Those kind of people are idiots and should be treated as such.
:iconindiron:
Indiron Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
The most annoying fact is that he asked personally to commission me, when he heard the price his attitude changed and i was like lol.. these kind of people exist?? real...
raiyneofgailin Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Unfortunately, that's what we have to put up with... :/
:iconnekonatsume:
NekoNatsume Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student General Artist
It doesnt matter how many times we tell him is wrong, it wont change anything. He is going to hide behind his own excuses.
Unless he made the 50 drawings himself, he will never realize how much work goes into making these things.
:iconbittoba:
bittoba Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
Opps mistake

I agree but

"The goal for the artist, as a test is to create a new Cinderella, The Diamond princess in their own."

What do you mean by a TEST? Does it mean you require a sample as free ? Why don't you ask for a portfolio that explains artist's skills?

And the style you're looking for -- is western style, same as the link above, or other type would work? (ex:: more realistic coloring, semi-realism, etc.)
:iconbittoba:
bittoba Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
I agree, but

The goal for the artist, as a test is to create a new Cinderella, The Diamond princess in their own.
:icondrehmeister:
drehmeister Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
R u serious? god, u want a slave move to 300 years ago.
:iconlucidcreations:
LucidCreations Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
If you can't afford to pay a reasonable rate, you probably shouldn't be trying to own a company or be self-employed.

Hiring people for way, way too little is exactly why our economy is shitting on itself in the first place - our companies outsource to India, where they have little children make us shoes for 2 cents per hour. You don't feel that is exploitation? Are you okay with paying people way too little because they are desperate for money and you can't afford to pay them? You seem like a nice person but you are obviously confused. I can tell you don't mean harm.

Just put yourself in our shoes. What do you do for a living? Whatever it is, imagine your boss came to you one day and said "You're fired. I'm moving the company to India so I can get the same amount of work done for 1/20th the price. Good luck!" Frustrating, right? It's the same to us. And if I were a foreign artist, I would also be offended. They should be making more than minimum wage - they're professionals.

My suggestion, since you like to help, is to save up plenty of your own money until you're ready to invest a realistic amount in what you want to do. Put small amounts of money aside until you have what you need. If you can't wait, then offer the artist a percentage of profits. At least then you are offering them the possibility of something more and an incentive to work for so little.

Hope that helps without being aggressive. :)
:iconaurynpub:
AurynPub Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
I wish DA had "like" buttons like facebook.
:iconlucidcreations:
LucidCreations Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
LOL. Me too. :)
WCU-President Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Right now, I am glad DA does not have these buttons!
:iconsweetshark:
SweetShark Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
Sorry for saying this, but giving only 5-10 dollars for an artwork, plus owning the copyrights for yourself, I think is a big no, at least for me.
If it was a simple commision, yes, sure.
But if it is a big project like this, you need to offer more than that my friend.
:iconhavoqc:
havoqc Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi, I'm interested.
Here, some sketches:

If you want it colored. I can do it in two ways.
Simple Shades for 7,00 US

Or this kind of shade for 10,00:
WCU-President Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
Must admit, you are amazing!
:iconhavoqc:
havoqc Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Here, check it.
[link](2011-2012)/5749569
[link]
[link]
:iconkijonaia:
kijonaia Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would be interested in this! :) I need the money right now, so I could really use this commission, too. :/ My mom kicked me out and I only have enough for the deposit on my apartment, not enough for both the deposit and the first month's rent. This would help tremedously!
My art style is very adaptable. Ask me to draw a quick example, and I will, if you would be interested. I can have it done in a very timely manner, as well. I'll even do it for less than $250.
Examples:

Please note me or comment back if you're interested. :) I will happily sketch you up something for an example of my art's adaptability.
kijonaia Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
People, PLEASE stop replying to me telling me to not take this!! It is MY choice, so take your opinions and comments elsewhere.
No, need to take less, your a talented artist. Thanks
kijonaia Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you. :) I could really use this money so I'd take pretty much any amount. I'm going to be homeless unless I can come up with the rest of the money I need to get moved into an apartment. I have enough for the deposit, but I still need $400. :( That's why I said, not everyone has the luxury of being able to wait for commissions worth a hell of a lot. $250 is $250, $200 is $200. Hell, even $100 would help me right now.
Here is what I will do for you by the end of today. I will donate 10.00 to your paypal account. No art work is needed. Please supply your paypal email - and I encourage others to donate as well, if this is something you are ok with.

I encourage people that support artists, to be proactive and help when they can. If we get just 39 more people to donate 10.00 this artist can get the deposit she needs. There are many of people here that do not support my offers and get a kick of putting me down. Lets not hide behind our negative comments that are not proactive. When we have a chance to help, lets do the ACTION and help. We can all be heroes in our own way. Thanks
I don't want to just be given handouts. I'd feel horrible. I've been doing $10 commissions, and if someone wants to buy one, that would be great, as I would feel a bit better having done something for it. My paypal is chaotic.crisis@aol.com.
10.00 sent via paypal, I am just like everyone else. I try to help in small ways. I may have a small budget, but - I love art. Thanks
Would you like a drawing for it? I feel horrible just taking money.
As a community, we should come together to help. If there is a way, to set up a transparent fund, that everyone can see. I will donate to it for you. If anyone has any ideas...lets do this. Time to work together, talk / debate is nice. Action is another. Lets generate some ideas to help her. Thanks
NekoNatsume Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
Drawing something for someone is a lot of work. You will make several sketches per picture and you will be waiting for days for that sketch to be approved, and ready to be colored. I wouldnt complain if i could sketch anything, and send it.
Well, /yeah/. I know how long it takes to do a commission and what all goes into it and I have done mass comms before. If I'm offering my work to someone, it's my business. I know what it goes into, but ya know what? I need money fuckin' fast so I'll do whatever. Either way, there is no reason for you to comment on my offer to discourage me. Like, seriously, $250 is $250. It's $250 I didn't have before and it's $250 that will seriously help me get to my much-needed $400 so I can get a place and not be homeless. Everyone is harping on this guy, but I know what it's like to not be able to afford much on a project and I also know that several people will have no problem doing this and people need to back off this guy. If you don't like his offer, just pass it buy. Seriously.
NekoNatsume Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student General Artist
Look around, there are millions of offers all over the place, he is not the only one. Besides, is $250 of what? 50 drawings PLUS a tutorial? The only reason people obtain these jobs so easy, is because no one else is crazy enough to do them.
Exactly. They're easy to get, which is what I need right now. Not everyone has the luxury of getting good commissions; some have to take what they can get.
Not true, i have seen people who draw worse than me, and have published books, sold on conventions and post daily on these forums. I wont blame you, the OP is pretty vague on what he wants to begin with.
Well, I just really need whatever money I can get. I need $400 or I'm going to be homeless soon, and $250 puts me a hell of a lot closer to what I need.
moofactory Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
If your that desperate you may as well go into prostitution... because this is about just as degrading to an artist.
(2 Replies)
Cool with me, good luck making 50 drawings before the end of the month. I almost got into one of these ¨get easy money¨ once, i was gonna get paid 10 dollars per colored drawing. They kicked me out of the project after i asked to get paid more.

If i accepted it, i would be working like a mule right now winning $10 dollars every two weeks. I barely would make $20 dollars a month.
(1 Reply)
:iconsweetshark:
SweetShark Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
Indeed, even if I draw very poor, a friend of mine wanted an artwork for a personal use for his work. I showed to him a concept of an idea I had and he accepted to use it ^^
I will posted as soon I finished and take permission from my friend :)
Your right, the truth is every artist has their own personal circumstances. No one has to accept an offer. However, the offer is out there and its an artist choice to take an offer or not. The truth is the market is what each individual artist wants it to be, that works personally for them and their needs. Other artists can not speak for your needs and personal circumstances - but they are really just speaking about themselves. Thanks
:iconharrisonarts:
HarrisonArts Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
Ok I just found this thread and aside from the Job offer I think this conversation is pretty interesting. I don't want to get in your face about this since everyone else already has but I feel that I should point out that it's not choice.

*Takes deep breath…*

Theres probably a quick way of saying all this but I cant think of it. As far as the market goes right now the client mindset is "take it for next to nothing or don’t take it at all." What I find alarming is that you say that artists might have difficult circumstances and stuff but this is usually due to the market being saturated with low prices making freelancing virtually impossible. Your offer is only adding to this problem. Each individual who offers next to nothing per drawing adds to that and the poor guy who’s having money troubles needs the chance at getting a real living wage but cant get that opportunity because no one is offering it. Can you see how saying its "choice" is actually not true? The more people think these are acceptable offers the less choice artists are being given. It’s really very sad. I've had to quit full time illustration to just one day a week and take on two other part time jobs to support myself and the precise reason for this is because people see school kids and people in desperate situations charging $5 a picture and think that’s the norm. I'd personally rather stack shelves and work on my own illustration projects on a full stomach than take cheap commissions and starve.

You could even compare this to immigrants entering countries and working for almost nothing because they’re so desperate. It saps the economy, it takes away jobs and suddenly employees think its ok because government can’t see it and they’re getting away with it. Meanwhile the whole system is ruined.

If your unable to offer the poor guy a fair upfront payment how about figuring out a fair profit percentage? Or at very least charge 250 for 25 characters then wait a few months till your bank account tops up a bit and do the same again? I mean by the sound of it your not in a huge hurry. You could even sort out a contract of paying a few dollars a month on top of your original offer until it evens out? There’s loads of ways of commissioning an artist without fudging the market. Illustration should be treated as a profession as much as any other. Business models, sufficient funding and proper planning are required to stop the whole thing from falling to pieces. If this was being adhered to and you followed by example then the guy who’s panicking over money could have come on here and seen an offer that would not only help him keep his home but maybe even put good food on his table this week.

Could you not offer the guy the 250 for less drawing then commission him again later when you actually have the money to be offering?

It may seem like a small harmless thing to offer someone a quick buck to draw some pretty pictures but with so many people doing it it’s a real issue that’s robbing artists of their jobs.

Does that not bother you?
I'm actually a girl... lol But I appreciate you saying all of this without being ignorant to him. Some asshat told me to go into prostitution if I'm so desperate for money, 'cause this is "practically the same thing".

I don't know anywhere other than dA to find jobs, though. And I've applied at so many places around here it's not even funny, but I can't even get a job at Wal-Mart. Everywhere around here is at full staff right now or they just got done hiring. :( My dad's buying me a car, so I won't have to worry about only applying to places I can walk to.
moofactory Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
Yeah that "asshat" was me.

were you offended?

I hope so because if you were than you can understand how degrading this job would be to accept as a professional.

Your better than that, You deserve better than that.

There's plenty more places to get work.
behance network for one.
look for creative job forums.

Always respect yourself.
Xx
kijonaia Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
*you're

Go get attention somewhere else, 'cause I'm not listening to a thing you say, anyway. You're not looking out for anyone, you're wanting to feel better than someone else and get attention, otherwise you would've dropped it when I told you to("take your ignorant comments elsewhere"; sound familiar?). My business is MY business, now kindly fuck off.
(2 Replies)
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I don't mean to be rude, but wouldn't selling the car your dad is buying you cover your homeless problem? A car is a lot of other payments to worry about when you're already struggling with shelter.
My dad covers my car payments and I'm not selling my car because that's how my boyfriend gets to work.
Add a Comment: