Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
August 8, 2010
Link

Statistics

Replies: 532

450x225 scene needed for FaceBook game based on Ancient Cultures (year 1BC and older). Paid work.

:iconlutopia-game-company:
LUTOPiA-game-company Featured By Owner Aug 8, 2010
We need an artist who Loves and it is already knowledgeable in one of the ancient cultures from the year 1 BC and older that will be available in our upcoming FaceBook game.

The ancient cultures are:

Celts (Pict, Gauls, Woads, etc)
Romans
Greeks (Macedonians, Athenians, Spartans, etc)
Egyptians
Ethiopians (Abyssinians, Kushites, Aksumites, Nubians, Ancient Sudanese, etc)
Israelites
Arabs
Persians
Indians (from India!)
Chinese
Korean
Maya
Taino

We need a wide scene for the Culture Selection Screen. Each culture must have a different art style, but said style will not necessarily be tied exclusively to that culture.

The structure of the scene is similar to this structure: [link]
It requires 6 Characters, 2 buildings and Background. It must fit inside the window were the two cartoon warriors are in this picture: [link]

The Chess pieces in the structure example represent the following:

The King = A Traditional Male Ruler of the chosen civilization.

The Queen = Traditional Female Ruler of the chosen civilization.

King and Queen are in Half-Shot. All characters on the King side must be male and all on the Queen side must be female.

Bishops = Traditional Spiritual Leaders, Sages, Scholars, Mystics, etc. Females must be historically accurate. Bishops are in 2/3s Shot.

Knights = Traditional Warrior. Females must be historically accurate. Knights are in full shot.

Rooks = 2 Recognizable traditional structures used in the era that the game takes place (year 1BC and older) by the chosen culture.

Pawns = Traditional common people of the era that the game takes place (year 1BC and older). They reside in the background and may be places as the artist wishes, which is why they are not represented in the formation example. These people are the general populous (workers, farmers, artists, craftsmen, etc).

There must be no complete nudity, but you may have implied or covered nudity.

The scene must not be static, it must be alive with emotion on the faces of the characters. They should not look like manikins nor as people posing for a photograph. Their faces, body language and positioning must have attitude or meaning.

You may use abstract or symbolic artistic expression in the scene. A Celtic scene with Celtic Knots edging the frame is an example of this. An Egyptian scene with the face of Ra superimposed on the sky with the sun positioned as his eye is another example of this. However, a Chinese scene with the characters wearing clothing styles from a period after year 1 BC or equipping giant weapons and epic armor is not an example of this. You can be creative and take liberties with the way you convey the scene just as long as you stay within the historical context.

You will be required to do the work first and then we will pay you if we approve it, UNLESS you are a Premium Member (or better) of deviantART, then we will be open to negotiate some sort of upfront payment. All negotiation communications must take place within this thread in order to have publicly transparent protection and accountability. You will also be expected to know enough of the culture you have chosen during the period of 1 year BC and older to make the scene historically accurate, since we are looking for artists that love the subject in the first place. It is important to us that your love for the subject and the work is sincere, since love tends to project into the work of an artist.

As far a copyrights go, we want to be able to use the art work in any way we choose in the game and to advertise the game and you may be able to profit from it just as long as no one else has the rights to use it as well.

Please Reply and post the following information:

1) What is the Ancient Culture of your choice?

2) How well do you know the Ancient Culture/Civilization you have chosen?

3) Do you have a sample drawing of a character of that culture you have done before?

4) How much would you charge us for the scene?

5) How long would it take you to complete?

We want to build a professional relationship with you if chosen and consider you a part of the team of talent we can count on to keep buying more quality art in the future.

Thank you for your time.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

We need a new artist for the Taino civilization.

We are looking for a pixel artist with cute/adorable/happy style.

You will be required to do research on the civilization in order to get details to be historically accurate.

The piece will be 450x225 and it must be done in layers.
:iconluis-salas:
Luis-Salas Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2011  Student Digital Artist
Hi, I'm interested in the Taino commission, but I would like some time to investigate it better since there is almost no imagery of them. I've seen you paid about $100 a piece, so I would ask the same. I believe you've seen my work before, you can take a look at my portfolio on the link below.
Your work is impressive, but for the Taino we are looking for cheery-looking pixel art.
Keep watching us for announcements of work soon.
:iconluis-salas:
Luis-Salas Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2011  Student Digital Artist
thank you for replying, I'll be looking foward to your new announcements.
:iconvicentericov:
VicenteRicoV Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2010
Hi i'm higly interested in this job. Check my gallery,please. I do digital painting.
:icongrzegorzpedrycz:
Grzegorzpedrycz Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2010  Professional Digital Artist
I am interested

[link]
:iconferretjack:
FerretJAcK Featured By Owner Sep 24, 2010  Professional General Artist
Chinese

I have grown up learning about the Chinese culture. Anything I do not know that would be needed for the drawing would be studied within two days.

3) Do you have a sample drawing of a character of that culture you have done before?
No I do not. Though I would be doing the drawings in this style and please note my work has improved sense these. [link] [link] [link] [link] [link] Though you can choose the coloring style.

$300 half up front half after finished.

For a detailed picture it would take 10-15 days maybe less.

If given the chance I will do the best picture I can for your game. It will be a major improvement on my skills as well. It will have a back ground from the time frame.

Thanks for your consideration.
=redsun2002
:iconbeachbead:
beachbead Featured By Owner Sep 23, 2010  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm just wondering what is your budget on this game?
Also you are asking alot of artists to do different styles, if i was makeing a game i would only get one or two people to do the entire game, not haveing all theses people doing different styles.
That's what most people would do. We tend to think outside the box.
:icondubugomdori:
DubuGomdori Featured By Owner Sep 20, 2010
First off, thank you for the offer. Before I put in a submission, can I ask... are you asking me to put in for Arabian? Since that is what you responded to my gallery.

The 2nd link seems to be broken at this time. Is there a minimum or standard size you require?
Yes, Ancient Arabs from the year 1BC and older.

Which link is broken?

The end size is 450x225.
DubuGomdori Featured By Owner Sep 23, 2010
I now see the size on your page. The link I was referreing to is contained here "It requires 6 Characters, 2 buildings and Background. It must fit inside the window were the two cartoon warriors are in this picture: [link]"
We already hired someone to do the Arabs. Thank you.
DubuGomdori Featured By Owner Sep 24, 2010
Will you have the link fixed soon? If the arabs are taken, could you let me know what you have left? Much appreciated.
The artist for the Ethiopians has seem to have abandon them.
DubuGomdori Featured By Owner Sep 24, 2010
Would you like me to tackle that for you, the Nubians or would you prefer a different culture?
We're looking for someone that knows and loves that culture.
:iconnidhi-rathish:
nidhi-rathish Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2010
Received the other half of payment 225USD after finishing work :) Also given a lot of exposure on facebook as well which was pretty cool! :D

:love:

Can't wait for the game release!
:icond-torres:
d-torres Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2010
Hi,

1) My culture of choice would be The mayans and/or celtics. (Those are my preferences but if there's other one left i would love the challenge to research)

2) Regarding celtic civilization i've always been drawn to their fantastic mythology. I'm graduated at Visual Arts, and i've have done a couple of researches regarding the mayan culture.

3) I don't have precisely civilization designs, but you can check out my paintings at: www.dudutorres.com.br.

4) It depends on what style i would be aproaching. For a highly detailed pic i would charge 400USD...and i could get to a minimum 200 if the image is simpler.

5) From 1 to 2 weeks if i get a fast feedback.

Contact me by email: dudu_towers@yahoo.com.br. Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Dudu Torres
LUTOPiA-game-company Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2010
There are no more vacancies but keep on Watching us for when more work becomes available.

Thank you.
:icon2mindsstudio:
2MindsStudio Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2010
So i've been invited some days ago, are you still interested?

Ancient Arab ( need any other?)
Enough to draw, i got some book references
[link] this is a sketch done in 10 minutes. Finalized art looks like this [link]
$400
1 week starting when upfront payment is received ( but i can send you a sketch first.)

link to our gallery [link]
We have found an artist for the Arabs and there are no more vacancies, but if you Watch us, we will announce more work as it becomes available.

We like your creature art very much.
:icon2mindsstudio:
2MindsStudio Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2010
Hmm, ok! I'll wait than =)
:iconforgetdeny:
ForgetDeny Featured By Owner Sep 7, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
I would be keen to work on either the Greeks or Romans

I've been obsessed with both since before I can remember, and have a pretty near encyclopaedic knowledge of Greek myth as well as a strong grasp of Roman culture. I have studied both of these cultures in historical, cultural, artistic and theatric contexts. Historical, cultural and theatrical studies were during the course of my Bachelor of Arts.

I do not, unfortunately all of my work pre-dating 2003 was destroyed and I have been focused on other things since then. That said, if you like style of my artwork but aren't sure if I'm able to tackle the subject matter I would be more than happy to whip one or several up.

I would charge you US$130, though this is negotiable.

one week minimum, three weeks maximum.

Here is a link to my gallery: [link]
There are no more vacancies but keep on Watching us for when more work becomes available.

Thank you.
:iconforgetdeny:
ForgetDeny Featured By Owner Sep 8, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
Sweet, good luck with the flame war too. It looks... unpleasant.
Nah, it ended long ago.

Thanks! :)
:iconneobabylon:
NeoBabylon Featured By Owner Sep 6, 2010
Hi,
you sent me a message telling me you are interested in me doing the Ancient Arab culture scene for your FaceBook game.
so here are my answers to the questions you asked:

Ancient Egypt, Ancient Arabia, mayans...
and then Ancient Greece, Persia, China. and a little of Ethiopia.

I liked to study ancient civilizations as a hobby. and I make my own researches about ancient cultures. mainly the middle eastern ones and meso-america. and I like the accuracy in the art portraying the ancient people.

yes, here are some posters I made: [link]

if you want very detailed characters/background, it can go to $450. if you want something less detailed, $150 will be fine.
I prefer to get an upfront payment before to start the work (just to be sure the client will take the work once finished and my effort won't be wasted). I did/am doing so many commissions here in deviantART and you can see them in my gallery.

I prefer to work like this:
- you send third payment upfront, I make the sketch and send you (I can change it or redo it as many times as required until you approve it)
- you send the second third and I will add details and make the lineart. (if more details are needed, I can also include them.)
- you send the remaining payment and I do the colors. if changes in colors are required, they will be done until you are satisfied with the final result.
if you want some changes after the artwork is finished, if the changes are small and do not require redoing the sketch/lineart/colors, then they will be for free. if the changes are big and require big changements in sketch/lineart/colors, they may cost a little (depending on the effort needed for them)
but you will be updated with the progress of the work so that the final result will be exactly what you have in mind and you will be satisfied about it.

it takes from 1 to 2 weeks (including feedback and changes)

let me know if you are interested.
LUTOPiA-game-company Featured By Owner Sep 6, 2010
What roles from Ancient Arabian Culture would you give each Chess piece in the structure example?
I don't know if I understood well your question (correct me please if I am wrong)
I choose to portray:
The King as an Arabian tribe leader.
The Queen as an Arabian princess.
Bishops as a poet + poetess.
Knights as Arab Warriors. (male + Female).
Rooks as a palace + a tent.
Pawns as some arab tribesmen.

does this answer the question?
Can you elaborate more on these roles? Demonstrate your knowledge for pre-Islamic Ancient Arabian culture.
ok,
for the King, I can do Aretas IV (the Great Nabatean king).
for the Queen, king Aretas' wife.
for the bishop, I can make a poet (since poets were historians, soothsayers and propagandists in that time) maybe with some scrolls in his hand. in the other side, I can make a poetess with a harp.
for the knights, I suggest one arabian warrior on horse and one arabian female warrior on a camel.
as for the rooks, I think a palace of Petra and a tent from the desert.
and pawns will be just some arabian tribesmen. just commoners, maybe a shepherd and a merchant (with some fabric and stuff).

how do you think?
The scene needs to be at night to represent the Ancient Arabian veneration for the moon. Do you think you can manage it?
NeoBabylon Featured By Owner Sep 7, 2010
I was thinking about daytime (especially that the palace and tent would look better under the hot sunlight) but having the scene at night won't be a problem at all. I can make a starry sky of the desert up behind them.
I also can add some firelight in front of the characters to show their details better, if you like of course.
how do you think?
LUTOPiA-game-company Featured By Owner Sep 7, 2010
Petra should be used for one of the Rooks.

I like your idea to use firelight coming from the camera's position to lit up their faces more.

You've shown an sincere interest and love for the culture. We accept your offer.
:iconwindmyll:
Windmyll Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2010
I'm sorry I posted my answer already, but I think it doesn't worked... So here my answer, again ^^

Hi,
you asked me if I was interested by doing an ancient arab culture scene... I really am !

So here are the answers :

1) What is the Ancient Culture of your choice? Arab because you asked me this one, but I also really love Chinese, Indian, Persian, Egyptian and Ethiopian.

2) How well do you know the Ancient Culture/Civilization you have chosen? I already done a school work on this culture and I think that it's so different from mine and very exotic !

3) Do you have a sample drawing of a character of that culture you have done before? Chinese : [link] and Arab : [link] , [link] , [link]

4) How much would you charge us for the scene? Less then 50$ for sure.

5) How long would it take you to complete? 15 hours, so about 2 weeks.

So voilą, and I had to say, I really want this job ! =)
Ok, what role from Ancient Arabia would you give each Chess piece from the structure example?
Windmyll Featured By Owner Sep 6, 2010
The Sultan and his wife will probably be in the front. Beside the Sultan, It will be the vizir, and beside the Sultana, I'll draw the Prince or the princess. I'll draw two ghazi warriors instead of the two knights. For the last chest pieces, I can do two animal characters instead of humans. I'd really like to do a black panther and a tiger, because they are a part of the arabic culture. If I can't do animals, I'll make more research to find other human characters.
What do you think about that ? :)
I like the touch about the animals, but the Sultan is a common mistake.

Sultan and Ghazi are an Islamic Arab title and the game takes place during the BC years, much earlier than the arrival of Islam to the Arab world.

Usually I eliminate people that fall for that type of error, but the animal tid-bit was very insightful.

You can do animals if you want, but they cannot take the place of one of the chess pieces, they must be extra.

With this new information, tell me about the riles you will now give to each of the chess pieces? Share with me your vision for the scene and make sure it is historically accurate.
Windmyll Featured By Owner Sep 6, 2010
You're right, I talked about my basic knowledge about arabian culture.
After some research, I discovered that the arabians were nomadic or semi-nomadic tribes before Christ. There was a king and a royal family. Actually, it's really hard to find informations about the antic arabian culture. Texts are talking about religion and war, but not about architecture, clothings or nobility's titles.

But I'll go to the library tomorrow, and I'll ask to my history teacher some informations. I'll do more research also.

I'd like to tell you my opinion; I think an image base on the nomad would be great ! You know, something like ''The desert travellers'' or the ''desert nomads'' or even ''the sand travellers''! And this is accurate. BUT, some arab people were from mesopotamia, an exotic contry, with jungle and such. So it don't fits with the concept of ''desert''.

So, after all this, I'd like to know wich ''kind'' of arabians you want for your game ? It will be easier for me to make more and better research about it.
LUTOPiA-game-company Featured By Owner Sep 7, 2010
We have found an artist for the Ancient Arabs. We will have more work for artists int he future, so Watch us for special Notices.

Thank you for your time.
Windmyll Featured By Owner Sep 7, 2010
You took one of my idea for the Indian scene. I'm really disapointed... BTW, you should have a website at least, because it looks really ''amateur'' (don't know how to say it in english). And I had to say that your artists are very good, but not at the same level and they do not have the same style at all... It's like day & night !
Anyway, I can't wait to see the result, may be it will turned out good even of the radical difference of style.
It wasn't your idea. Nidhi came up with it on her own and we have the chat and e-mail transcripts to prove it. She also started working on the animals long before you posted on this thread.
(1 Reply)
LUTOPiA-game-company Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2010
You're doing fine on your English, don't worry :)

Tell us which role would you assign to each Chess piece in the structure example?

You must be historically accurate and make the scene look really cool. You must make sure that the buildings, characters and their attire are historically accurate for Ancient Arabian culture from the year 1BC and older.

Here are the works from other artists that have finished: [link]
Windmyll Featured By Owner Sep 3, 2010
Hi,
you asked me if I was interested to do an ancient arab culture scene, and I really am ! If you choose me, I just want to know how much time I have to do this ?

By the way, here are my answers :

1) What is the Ancient Culture of your choice? You asked me if I could do the arab culture, but I could do also Chineses, Indians, Egyptians, Ethiopians or Persians.

2) How well do you know the Ancient Culture/Civilization you have chosen? Actually, I'm very familiar with these cultures because I always really loved them. I think they are so different from mine and very exotics.

3) Do you have a sample drawing of a character of that culture you have done before? Chinese : [link] , Arab : [link] and [link]

4) How much would you charge us for the scene? I really don't know... Less then 50$ for sure.

5) How long would it take you to complete? About 15 hours, so 2 weeks, Because I go to school and I have a job.

So voilą, hope you will considered my application.

PS. My first language is french, so I'm sorry if you see mistakes. =)
:iconnautilusl2:
NautilusL2 Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2010  Professional Digital Artist
Hi there, you sent me a message that you wanted me to do an Arabic culture scene for your game.

Arabic

Took three years of anthropology in college, overall just really interested in Arab culture.

You commented on this [link]

US $350 for detailed characters, buildings and backgrounds.

1-2 weeks, depending on how fast feedback is exchanged.

Message me if we're going to continue this.
:iconchanf:
chanf Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2010  Professional Digital Artist
China
yeah, it would be some scene like the three Kingdom,.. i have so much reference to explore it.. it'll be well done
it would be something like this [link]
please see my gallery for the art style.. i could go for realistic or semi realistic
for the complecated scene would be around $400 or as low as $150 for less structure details..
it'll be 1-2 weeks depends on the details
:iconartistic-diarrhea:
artistic-diarrhea Featured By Owner Sep 1, 2010
Hi sorry again for overposting, I see that my previous posts went through ( sorry again my internet has been laggy) thank you for contacting me, now that im sure that this post will go through i would like to go over some details with you.

1. what style / presentation would u like ? a sample would be great , if u dont have any samples thats ok.

2. When you say arab scene, do you mean enviroments? illustrations? characters?

3.My payrate depends on the amount of work/quality youre looking for and its very negotiable.

Ill start on this tonight, and please give me some contact information so i can send u some thumbnails on this scene.

Thank you for your time.
LUTOPiA-game-company Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2010
Please post in the proper format as described.

The image from the broken link can be seen here: [link]
:iconartistic-diarrhea:
artistic-diarrhea Featured By Owner Sep 2, 2010

Arabian

I have study this civilization extensively.

sample of a character can be seen here,i have more if u need to see more.

[link]

depending on your budget/time frame and the complexity of the design/scene that you want.

again depends on the timeframe and the complexity of the design, but if we do agree upon the terms and conditions it will meet the deadline or sooner.

please contact me at tnconcepts86@gmail.com if you have anymore questions.
Add a Comment: