Closed to new replies
June 9, 2008
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

All artists, please read...

:iconclayoverground:
clayoverground Featured By Owner Jun 9, 2008   Writer
As I posted earlier I was scammed out of a lot of money by a member here who has scammed hundreds of other artists and writers. Yet, his account here is STILL ACTIVE!!!

This is what I mean. DA has known that "crazypens" is a fraud, ripping off several DA members, they've been notified by several members. Beware of this guy, he's got a criminal record and goes by several aliases. Google his real name, Josh Hoopes for hundreds of scams by this jerk.

Here's the kicker. DA will now lock this thread and give an excuse. Yet still they will do nothing, just watch. I've written them, posted everywhere and they lock my thread everytime. They have proven they do not care about you or the illegal activities that go down here. FYI.

I've been real cool about this in trying to get his account closed, but nothing yet. he's still around and still approaching other artists, to scam them.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

clayoverground Featured By Owner Jun 14, 2008   Writer
We will agree to disagree then :)
clayoverground Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2008   Writer
Rights?! This is a privately owned website, if they have "probable" cause they can ban whomever they want! A simple google search of his name brings a criminal record and hundreds of posts (some from here) written by countless artists that were ripped off by him. Guess who's connected to that name? crazypens. Don't give me this double-talk rhetoric, it doesn't hold up.

As for my end, the cops are max attentive to my situation and are actively pursuing this guy. However in the mean time, my efforts here to have him banned before he rips of more here (which he's still doing) is not only valid, but justified. DA should ban this guy, period and no platitudes regarding the "rules & regulations" will change the obvious need to do so.
:iconamade:
amade Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2008  Professional Digital Artist
I'm sure dA can ban whomever they want, but this sort of thing usually leads to more trouble and would be detrimental to dA itself. Since it's their website, they can choose not to ban anyone, unfortunately. Either way people will complain, but they will obviously want to protect their interest first so they choose the action with less collateral damage.

As far as I can tell it seems you're more upset that dA's not doing anything about the guy than you are from the fact you've been scammed. And still, I don't see the point of banning the guy. Exposing him is obviously necessary, and you have done that. You've also alerted the police, and I hope they'll get the guy. But banning the guy from this forum will only make him take up a different persona/IP/etc and continue doing what he does. As far as prevention and justice is concerned I don't think dA can do anything much about it, so I just hope that the police can do something about your case.
:iconkaronafalsegod:
karonafalsegod Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2008
Got this from $realitysquared:

"Unfortunately private transactions are completely at the risk of the people entering into them.

deviantART is not directly involved in any private transaction and because of that we have no way to verify and of the agreements or whether or not any particular event did or did not occur; because of this we cannot intervene in or attempt to enforce any private transaction between two people.
clayoverground Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2008   Writer
No one is asking them to "intervene in a transaction", just ban a member that's using his account to cheat hundreds of members through their system. Their not listening, and that's the major problem here.
:iconamade:
amade Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2008  Professional Digital Artist
As mentioned in the post before you, they don't have any way to verify that the guy is cheating so they can't just ban him. It may be obvious to most people but it needs to be proven first, basic rights and all that etc.

Plus, there's plenty of ways to avoid a ban if you're determined enough. The best thing to do is make the community aware of the fraud (as somebody else previously said, it's easier to spot an exposed fraud than a banned one using a different account), and heed the basic advices in conducting safe transactions.

If you're seeking retribution then gather up all the evidence you can get (e-mails, contracts, whatever) and approach the relevant authorities. If you had simply handed over your money without any paper trail then there's nothing much anyone can do.
:iconsicilianvalkyrie:
SicilianValkyrie Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2008  Professional General Artist
Thank you for the advice man
clayoverground Featured By Owner Jun 12, 2008   Writer
It may be dumb, but he's winning as long as DA let's him scam people through their system.
:icongraphicartist2k5:
GraphicArtist2k5 Featured By Owner Jun 12, 2008
If this josh hoopes guy is indeed guilty, then he should be dealt with accordingly. There's all sorts of pictures that I've drawn from pictures that I looked at, but I never would say that I'm the one who originally created them. That's just dumb as hell.
:iconmasig2002d:
masig2002d Featured By Owner Jun 12, 2008
hey, you posted something like a job offer before but cant find it in this forum. I'm kinda interested. Or is the position already filled?

Deviously Denied!

We're sorry, but you cannot post a comment here.