Stock Artists, dA Artists

Hello stock artists.

You may remember me from such places as *lindowyn-stock.

Or you may not.

I started a stock account in September because I decided that I really wanted to help people realize their images, and because when I was looking for stock to use, I couldn't find any. I know that several of you stockers went the same route as myself, and took their own stock when they could not find what they were looking for.

Since opening a stock account, which is pretty high maintenance, but worth the most fun I've had in a while, I've noticed a change in my artistic focus. Most of my photographic portraiture has become interchangeable with stock. Does this happen to you too?

Mostly, I'm writing because I'm interested in how many of you guys have Non-Resource accounts too, because I'm tired of hearing about how stock artists don't contribute anything artistically. That's a bunch of crap.

I think that demonstrating works that have been done with your stock is a fantastic way to inspire others to try as well. Lately *PersephoneStock has been posting some of her stock features as deviations, and I think it's an awesome idea.

So, show me your work. Not your stock work. Your other stuff. I want to meet you guys through your other works, too. More often that not, it's amazing stuff. I'm making it a point to pimp stocker art in my journal from now on, so that we too can get the critique and grow. :)

Much love to all, and I'm excited to see your work!

-Ash
Comments64
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
My art account is my main account - `RockstarVanity - and my stock account is secondary. I started out submitting photos that I took as part of other photoshoots but that weren't exactly how I wanted for the art shot I set out to create. I don't submit images of myself any more because all my stock is unrestricted and I don't want my face all over the place, but I've gotten really into making photoshop brushes lately as well as taking stock photos of objects and places.

Taking photos for stock use is totally different for me than taking art photos (I'm not saying stock isn't art, it's just my way of differentiating between types of my own work) because for stock it's important that everything is clear, sharp and well lit rather than using the differential focus, shallow DOF and dramatic lighting that I use in my art photography.

Taking stock photos means using my camera which means me with a big smile on my face, and it's nice to have a motivation other than to create photos just for myself - my stock is something that I do for other people, and it exercises different skills than my usual photography.
:confused: Who did you say you were again? *cackles* lol no throwing stuff I'm kiddin :lol:

Well I'm way too lazy to seperate my art stuff from my stock, and lets face it my stocks probably better than my manips lol

I once had somebody tell me I was extremely vain to use my own stock in my manips... I can't remember what I replied to them but it was rather long and considered and made me wet myself I was laughing so much..

Cookie anybody?

:cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:
I got into stock kind of backwards, Lindowyn.

(Your artwork, by the way, is beautiful!)

I had a photo account, but I abandoned it. I had a digital art account. Most of what I did there was coloring other people's art with digital air brushing. I kind of left that account too. Then I started making photomanips, and after a few, I wanted to do stock for two reasons...

1) I didn't have any confidence in my photography skills. I'm not a photographer in a true sense. I wanted to gain better command over my camera. Stock seemed like a nice way to do this without harsh criticism. Most people offer nice critiques to stockers. I've gotten a lot better at photography since starting this stock account.

And...

2) While searching dA to find stock for my own artwork, I was inspired. I decided to quit doing art of my own and just do stock. Now this is my main account. I like stocking better than my own art... Other than photography, which stocking has helped me get better at, as I stated above. Stocking is more fun than design or any other creative process. I love love love being able to give people the resources to make art. That's just about the coolest thing on Earth! I never thought I'd love it this much. The closest thing I do to "art" on a regular basis is at *FantasyStockAvatars, where I make avatars and stamps for people.

I think I kind of, in a way, went in an opposite direction from your theory. I have met several dA stockers that do their own art. Most that I have met do! But I don't really. I've only recently (just yesterday actually) started sticking a few of my "artsy" photos in a small gallery under a different username, which is not (by any means) ready to be pimped. I'm not confident enough for that yet.

Anyway, thanks for the great topic! ...Like a walk down memory lane. :hug:
I like your attitude. :D I do find that people are willing to give photographic tips on stock, even though they seem to be a lot more harsh on stock for some reason. I always get excited when someone critiques my Artsy photography, because I love hearing how I can improve. This community really is unique, and really can help you advance in your artwork. I seriously do love it here, and I get to meet neat people like you along the way. When you -do- have your photography gallery up, I'd love to see. :D
Awww! :hug: This is really sweet of you! I sent you a note. Thanks!!
MANIPULATION an photography [link]
:bulletpurple: [link]
:bulletpurple:[link] stock version -->[link]
:bulletpurple:[link]

PHOTOGRAPHY [link]

HOPE YOU LIKE IT !!
Someone said that stock photos are art. I would disagree, but before you lynch me, let me explain. I don't see stock photos as any sort of a style or genre. They are merely photos which are "tagged" as stock. The most amazing artistic photo can be offered as a stock photo, and then it's definitely art. Or you can just take a photo of eg. an apple, not artistic in any way even if it's a good photo. I wouldn't say it's art, but it can still be a great stock resource. And if you post good stock, you're contributing to the creation of art.

It's harder to judge textures. Most people here think photos when textures are discussed, but for me textures have always been computer graphics that are created to be seamless. And I do consider my creations as art, but maybe it's just because they're my creations and I want to view them as art. Perhaps they should be thought more as "meta art", because they're intended to be used for a piece of art, like stock. But on the other hand they can be used as they are, eg. as desktop wallpapers.

I'm perhaps a bit weird stocker, as I don't really do much photomanipulation at all, perhaps 1-2 pieces a year (unless you count entirely for fun doodles). I often use stock as a reference though for digital paintings, traditional paintings, pixel art and ASCII art, as I cannot draw at all. The reason why I provide stock is that I have loads of useful photos I've taken over the years, which I don't submit on my main account because don't consider to be particularly artistic, but would be a waste if they ended up just lying on my HD.

Sorry for the long and perhaps off-topic ramble. You have probably done your feature already, but if you want to see some of my visual art anyway, here goes:

[link] (culinary art)[link] (ASCII art)
[link] (photography)
[link] (fractal art)
[link] (pixel art)

Primarily I consider myself a writer, though.
[link]

Whew! That's a lot of people, and more to go.

But yes, I understand what you mean. I'm not into lynching people that make sense. :D
Well I have an art account =Mollinda that came before my stock account. This account started as a dumping ground for all the textures I'd amassed, but it's become an obsession and now photography has snuck into my art account :omfg:

So my art:

Illustration
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

Cartoon
[link]
[link] My DD :heart:
[link]
[link]
[link]

Photography
[link]
[link]
[link]
I kind of have a big range of works ^^;
vexel: [link]
pen: [link]
photography: [link] [link]
digital painting: [link] [link]
digital drawing: [link]
pencil/paper: [link] [link]
easter eggs: [link]
oil painting: [link] [link]
watercolor: [link]
pastel: [link]
mspaint: [link] [link]
charcoal: [link] [link]
chinese watercolor: [link]
photomanip: [link]

I also do European and Chinese calligraphy but that is not in my gallery. :)
Shew... no kidding.. 0.0
I started with a regular account on dev. art, but after a few photomanips I decided I wanted to give back to the community. Lately, I've been putting more and more time into my stock account and less into the regualar, but I'm addicted to making stock. Heres my other account Warning, it contains nudity.
I am in absolute awe of your gallery. Beware my fav attack... :D (we're all naked under our clothes. :) )
Thanks for the compliment, and your dev account is wonderful. Theres so much variety in your art:)
I actually do have an art account and I also use my own stock for my art - I don't really know why I started stock, some friends of mine wanted to have photos of themselves and this kind of got out of control :D
I'm mostly a traditional artists and sometimes I also use my own stock: 37 – eyes or 89 – through the fire
Yah, my friends kinda descended on me like that, too. :D It's actually a lot of fun. :boogie: Thanks for linkin' me! :D
well, without them there wouldn't be any stock-account cause I'm really not the model-type :laughing:
:rofl: Yah, I'm not so hot at it either to be perfectly honest.
:lol: Nothing in it though.
Oh noes!! You must put something in it! LOL
Except a really disturbing webcam. :o
Silly lawrencededark you put 'disturbing' instead of 'erotic'.