Is it just me?

Or are more having problems with people using stocks and not follow the rules listed in your journal?

I've recently encountered some manips through the 'search' where my stocks been used and not been inotified about the usage.
I've also recieved tons of notes from people seeing my stock used and not credited, and also used outside of DA without permission.

Is this something that comes along with a stock-account and I just have to deal with it?
I find it really disturbing and disrespectful.

What do you do if this happens to you?
Do you nicely tell them about 'their mistake' or do you report them to the DA staff and hope they get banned?
:)
Comments35
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I would think you should be able to notify PVA of a violation .. let me check on that ..
:banned: I would be pissed if someone used my stocks and didnt credit me for them..
I've found one person who just forgot to tell me about using my stock.. He used my stock quite frequently and forgot about two manips. I pointed it out and he credited me immediately.

Seriously though if you find someone on DA who has not credited you and when you ask them to credit you and they are nasty and still refuse to credit you then report them. Also about the people who use your stock outside of deviantart.. go to this forum [link] and make a post linking to where they have used your image and also to your orginal image. Also put them in your journal and link to their webpage so that people you know can go over to their webpage and harrass them calling them theives. Some people may also come up with ideas to note the webpage provider telling them that they are hosting stolen artwork.

I'm sorry this is happening so much to you. Some people are just plain disrespectful, while others believe that anything posted on the internet is free for them to use however they want. It's worth making the links public I think.
It's happened to me loads of times. Usually I just write a comment, nicely pointing out that they forgot to notify me (if they credited me in the description but didn't tell me about the usage) - it's an innocent mistake, they could have just forgotten. If they don't even credit me, then I'll leave them a message anyway, saying that the stock is mine and they should post a link, nicely as well.

About off-site usage... Never really had that happen to me. I seriously don't know if someone uses my photos outside dA, if they do I'm not aware of it. I don't mind if the artist posts here on dA and then on his/her personal page (or another online art gallery). But if it's for use on publicity, book covers and things like that, then I want them to ask my permission first. It's only polite and I've never said no to anybody so far.

That really sucks about the racist ad thing, though. I'm sorry that it's happening to you. :no:
one of the worst things i find is when people take one of my stock photos, puts a border on it and uploads it in the photography section! (one time i know of was an honest mistake but the others.... grrr)
I'm pretty new at this, so I haven't really had to deal with it... I'm hoping I don't have to, because I'm never really good in those sort of situations... ^^;

I think it's important for people to inform the stock owner and to credit him/her for the stock, especially if the stock owner requests it. It's respectful and can help other artists. Providing links back to the stock informs other users of where the stock came from so they too can have access to the stock.

I do also understand that sometimes people forget where the iamge came from. I have done that on a few occasions, actually... (That's one reason why I stopped some of my projects, because I felt bad using the stock without knowing where it came from...) If you find your stock being used without credit, I suggest you noting and/or commenting to the person about it. If they are nice about it and add the credit, then it works out nicely. :) If they are a jerk and ignore you...then, perhaps you should report them? It sounds mean, yes, but you are providing them with stock and in return you are asking for them to follow the rules. If the person doesn't follow the rules, then he/she has broken the "contract" and should not be allowed to use the image(s).

I'm not sure if I will report anyone or not if I happen to get in the situation or not... I hate being such a wuss. ^^;
I'm not really good in those situations either - manily because I think it's a bit disrespectful and english isn't my native tounge and I'm having problems with the language.

Offcourse people can forget, no one is perfect, but it's the attitude I get when I try to nicely ask them to credit me.
I haven't reported anyone yet, but I've been tempted a couple of times :)
Yeah, I know what you mean... :hug: English IS my native tongue and I still have problems with the language. :lmao:

Oh, the attitude is totally not necessary, especially if you ask them nicely... :disbelief: Stock photographers on DA are nice enough to provide free images for people to use. The least they could do is follow a few simple rules... Sheesh.

I hope you don't have to deal with that anymore...but if you do run into that problem and the person is rude and doesn't listen to your request, you might want to report them... You don't have to, of course. You should at least spank them a few times, though. :spank: :nod: .... :giggle:
haha, yeah spanking ;)

I really don't know what to do or how to react, I just get so tired of all this.
Might need a break
Crediting the stock and the stock artist who submitted it should go without saying...
But, some people lack the concept of common courtesy.

When I grab a possible stock image, I rename it with it's dev ID number, if I use it as a layer, I name the layer as such so I know which stocks I have actually used. It's easier to find that stock to credit when you have it's dev ID.
lack of courtesy or just ignorent

:)
Wow, the layer thing is a cool idea. :nod: I'll try to keep that in mind next time I play with stock photos. :D
I rename it the number of the deviation. That way I can just look at a deviation and change the last number, and voila, there is my stock image
I usually rename the stock file when it doesn't include the name. But sometimes, especially brushes, I end forgetting about what came from where... when it happens, though, I warn in the description that I've forgotten who, so if the person knows, warn me ;)
I have trouble with brushes as well.
Suppose it comes with the stock account. For every nice manipulator, there'll be a few who just lack common etiquette. :(

I try to credit and let all people whose stocks I use know that I've used it, but sometimes I forget (especially brushes)... or send from my other account (~alienation) accidentaly and get people confused, heh.
I suppose you are right..
Well, I just wanted to know if it happens to more than me :)
Don't fell lonely sweetie, it happens to all/almost all. :cuddle:
yeah i find in my art account i save images and forget to check if the name is saved as the file name, then when i go to use it i have no idea who it is! but i always write i dont no the name of the stock and if someone can find it then i will add it to the description...
but if people r just lazy and dont put it there then thats not right...
i get pissed off when i look at a manip and think, thats great stock, than i look at the description it doesnt say the stock name or even that they didnt remember it.. its so annoying!
i havent yet found ne of my stock images being used without my knowledge but then again not that many people use my stock! lol
yeah, that's a good way to do it if you forget the stockowners name - willingness to credit if you only knew :)
i don't really care, if it inside the da. as Della told, lot of ppl download, and forgot it, and if you are just browsing, hardly find ..blabla
and it's stock. i made it, becouse i want make happy other people. if they share this joy with me, it's good. if not.. er.. just simple sad.
.. but i HATE when somebody THIEF my artwork. It's really, really annoying. I saw one guy, who deleted my name from my picture, and uploaded, as if it belong as his artworks. It's really hurted me.
:(
If it's on DA I don't really care that much either if I'm not credited, but I don't like when it's used outside of DA without my knowledge.

I've just found a racist ad with my face on, and that it's not funny - I dont want to be conntected with that!! :(