Anyone buying anything -- read this thread first!

There seems to be a misconception, at least among amateurs, that there is a single best camera, tripod, brand of lens, and etcetera. This is not at ALL true. Photographers doing different kinds of photography use ENTIRELY different equipment. Not just different brands, but completely different KINDS of cameras, tripods, lenses, and etcetera. Also, high end professional equipment is VERY different from amateur or entry level equipment.

For instance, if you are doing studio photography, you will want as heavy a tripod as you can possibly get. A 200-pound steel monster mounted on casters would not be unusual. I wouldn't recommend taking it on a mountain backpacking trip though. For that, a lightweight titanium, carbon fiber or aluminum/magnesium alloy tripod would make infinitely better sense. Using an 8x10 field camera for sports photography would not be the act of an entirely sane individual either, although it would be a good choice for landscapes or architectural photography.

Since this is so, before anyone here can even BEGIN to give you an intelligent answer about what kind of equipment it would be best for you to get, it is absolutely necessary for him/her first to have some kind of idea of what you are planning to do with it, and what kind of accessory equipment you are going to need. Otherwise you can pretty much depend on getting the kind of answer that you can take with a very large grain of salt.

SO -- when asking, please include the following information:

1. What kind of subjects interest you most (formal "head and shoulders" portraits, landscapes, fauna, macro, nudes and full length portraits, or something else). For example, someone doing architectural or landscape photography will probably want a head on his tripod that contains a bubble level or two. It helps to make sure your vertical lines and horizontal lines really ARE vertical and horizontal. On the other hand, people almost never stand perfectly straight, so having a built-in level would not be necessary if you were shooting people. In this case, it would be better to go by eye. On the other hand, if you are doing one kind of people photography, a rangefinder might be your best choice. For other types of people photography, SLRs or view cameras would be better choices. And so on.

2. What is your budget? It isn't going to do much good to recommend a $20,000 Hasselblad H2D to someone with a budget of $400.

3. Film or digital? Bear in mind that a basic entry level DSLR camera will require a budget of about five or ten times what you can get away with when buying a good film camera.

4. What lenses do you want? A landscape photographer's lenses of choice will usually be considerably of wider angle than a portrait photographer's to name just one example.

5. What format? This is going to have a strong impact on the maximum size of the prints you can make, so another way of asking the same question is -- how big are the prints you want to make? Also, the size of the negative (or sensor) has some effect on how SHARP the images will be. This holds true with both digital and film cameras. You can not get away with making prints from 35mm film, for example, that are as big as those you can make from medium or large format film.

I have found, based on my own experience, that as a general rule (there are a bare handfull of rather expensive exceptions), most DSLRs (and ALL entry level DSLRs) are small format and have about the same print size limitations as you will run into with most ISO 400 35mm films. In other words, most DSLRs and 35mm SLR cameras perform fine up until you start making prints larger than somewhere in the neighborhood of 11x14 inches. This is where you really start seeing differences. If you plan to make prints larger than that, you wold be better advised to get a medium format camera (either film or high end digital)or a large format film camera.

6. Will you be using it indoors or outdoors? For indoor use, pretty much the bigger and heavier the better. Heavier equipment is more stable. If you can roll it around and don't have to carry it, then by all means go for the 400-pound camera stand and a 20-pound steel view camera. You run into a lot of trade-offs in photography, but there is no sense trading stabilty for light weight if you don't have to. For outdoor use though, where you may have to hump a largish pack of equipment over rough terrain for a considerable distance, a compromise IS necessary. Then you should go for the most lightweight equipment that you can get away with -- and still have enough stability that you can rely on it for getting shots that are not blurred.

7. Are you an amateur or a professional? If you are only going to be making prints that are 8x10 or 11x14 inches, then you don't really need a Hasselblad, a Linhof or an Arca Swiss. Any halfway good Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or any other decent brand of camera will do fine. If you are going to be making prints that are 4x5 FEET though, then you might give a lot more serious consideration to one of the previously mentioned (and far more expensive) brands.

As for other equipment, well, amateurs can get away with a whole lot more than pros can. Amateurs can get by fine for years with just halogen lights, for example. A pro often needs to have a variety of lights, including complete sets of both strobes and tungsten. An amatuer can get by with the meter in his/her camera. A pro needs a good handheld meter (or two -- or three). And so on.

In short, there is no way to answer those "What's the best <insert type of equipment here>?" questions, without knowing what the person asking will be doing with it. Any definitive answer given to these types of questions, without first acquiring this information, does a disservice to the person asking -- and reveals the person who is answering to be an idiot.
Comments346
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
BuMp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is INCREDIBLY helpful!
STICKY PLEASE!
Thanks, but it's already a sticky.
first of all, i have a 35mm slr zenit 122, and i love it. and a really compact one,point and shoot kodak c613 for family photos etc.
i was using my zenit for most of the time, but it is sometimes hard for me to capture the thing that i want with it. if 3 out of 36 films are good, then i decide myself as lucky.
so i decided to have a new digital one. because i am travelling a lot because of my job -something like relief organization and mostly i am in non developed countries- , and i want to take photos of people, landscapes and macros. with my zenit, it is impossible to buy films etc etc.
so:
1) i am mostly interested in taking photographs of people, landscapes and macros.

2) Budget, unfortunately, changes from time to time, now, i am planning to spend up to 800 us dollars, but it may shrink to 300-450 us dollars. (also according to your recommendations it will shape-

3) Digital for sure.

4) i think i just need two lenses like 18-55 and 75-300, or one lens like 18-200. i don't know really.

5) i really don't deal with posters and big prints, i don't want a hasselblad.

6) I will use it mostly outdoors. but sometimes people invite me to their houses, so indoors may be applicable also.

7) I can count myself semi-professional, i dont need a hasselblad as i said, but my kodak c613:) and zenit 122 don't help me anymore.

so before i hear for your recommendation, let me tell you about my searches.
Firstly i was thinkin about canon eos450d, at which time i started my search, it was the best for me. but at that time it was so expensive for me, and now, there are newer models. Later i used canon sx5 is, which made me happy with its versatility.
i have no long nikon experience -just a few tries-, but the shutter sound is better which makes me smile each time so i don't know anything about nikons.
i wasn't interested in hd movies, but the last time i shoot a movie of children playin in a contaminated pond in pakistan, i just took a vga movie with my kodak, and edited, and liked it:).
so it may be useful for me to record hd movies with my camera.

before i read your article, i was in between entry level dslr of canon or nikon -or any other brand i don't know- -which i hope i can get around mostly for $800-900 -
and
hybrid cameras like canon sx30/sx20 or nikon p100 or panasonic z35-z38 or maybe sony or fuji film -you see i am not sure about anything:) - which are around $400-450 - , but i wanted to get some advises from you.
so thank you for your help.
bump xD

whateva, i'm new to DA! it's cool to find this types of essays.
Thanks. It's a sticky (permanent) post, so it doesnt need to be bumped.
i didn't know what bumped actually meant... but everyone was saying so... so i kinda followed the flow xD
"Bumping" a thread means adding something to it, simply to keep it from going off the bottom of the page and being lost. When something gets added to a "thread" (a series of replies to a posted comment), it goes to the top of the page. When it becomes inactive, it eventually drops off the bottom and is lost. They stopped bumping it when the thread was made permanent.
yeah, i "kind off" figured later xD
thanks for the language, though it proves useful xD!
I was going to get a different camera, but I thought about it and I realized I want to do more underwater photography and the camera I was going to get isn't waterproof. Thank you very much! This is a great thread! :)
You're welcome. You DO know they make waterproof cases for cameras, don't you?
Yes, but I don't think I have enough to buy a camera and that ^^;
Well, did you know they make one-time-use waterproof cameras?
They do? Hmm... didn't think about that...
Yep, Kodak, Fuji and maybe a couple of other companies make them: [link]
[link]

There are also bag-type underwater cases: [link]
Great advice for all photographers. Whether film SLR or Digital. I have a high end Nikon F-100 so I can interchange older lens' . That being said my Nikon DSLR is a modest D70S.. I still have the option to upgrade and still use my SLR cameras.. Yes I've bought a fewbody and lenses.

Good advice for all ..MM22
I like Nikon too. Not because it is better, it just feels more solid to me than a Canon or Pentax.
hi. I'm looking to buy in the very near future (i.e. next weekend) a fish eye lens for the Minolta XG-1 35mm film camera. I need it to last me a long while, and I'm wanting it to experiment with intimate waterscapes, and possibly some portraiture (just to test the distortion and find what I like). I already have a Standard lens, a Wide Angle lens, a Wider angle lens, and a 200mm Zoom lens (I live in the mountains, I need it for distance shots). I also have a LunaSix Pro external light meter, a very good, lightweight tripod, a flash, and a cable release. any suggestions on how to come across a good fish eye lens for my camera?
"any suggestions on how to come across a good fish eye lens for my camera?"

I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you asking where to buy a lens? B&H, Adorama, KEH, Freestyle, or any of a number of other reputable dealers (the ones I just mentioned have online sales). If you wish, you can take a risk and try buying one on ebay -- half the price but a substantial chance of getting a lens that is mold-infested, scratched, misaligned, that needs collimation, that is encrusted with internal grime, or that just plain never worked right in the first place. Most of those problems can be fixed, if you know what you're doing and how to do it, but if you don't, you're screwed.

If you're asking which lenses are compatible with your camera, there are a couple of ways to find out: The easiest one would be to call B&H's toll free number and ask which fisheye(s) that they have will fit your camera. The alternative would be to google "Minolta XG-1 lens compatibility."
I was asking the latter, actually. Sorry I wasn't clear. I seem to be having a hard time finding available lenses via google, so I will try B&H.

Thank you so much!
Thanks for the tread Fallis!! First I must apologize in advance for not reading every page of your post, as I'm sure you've already covered my question. However, you seem to have an infinite amount of patience since you're still answering posts after like 4 years!!! (Talk about a contribution!) And well, I have a limited amount of life, and cannot go reading novels when the answers I seek are paragraphs.

That said...Looking to buy my first DSLR and I would like some advice, comments, and help to point me in the right direction. I'm currently using an HP 7MP Point & Shoot, and I'm disappointed with the image quality, auto-focus, and lack of control over exposure and other settings.

<1> BUDGET
I think I'd be willing to spend up to $1,300. I will probably just use a kit lens to start off, as I have no idea what I'd want. Anyway, if I could get away with spending less, I'd be okay with that :). I just don't want to invest in a body and later lenses, then find out that it has too many draw backs. (What drawbacks? I have no idea!) Yes, I've seen some of the other posts, "..there is no perfect camera..", but I think there IS a best bet for me and that's what I'd like to discuss.

<2> SUBJECT MATTER
Okay, so I'm only an amateur so I don't really have a defined or specific subject that I'm interested in! I want to shoot images that inspire me artistically, and hopefully others. I can say almost 100% of my shots are outdoors, and I shoot ANYTHING that looks cool to me including: landscapes, sunsets, stars, flowers, extreme closeups of flowers and bugs, buildings, city scapes, street shots, black and white, macro, hdr, and really fast shots that seem to stop time. I also want something that'll take 7-10 continuous shots, maybe at least 3-4 per second. Did I leave anything out? Getting the idea!? I need a workhorse, that'll work pretty good for most everything. I want to jump on my (pedal) bike and go, with no more than a backpack! I realize I'll need some specialized lenses and software to accomplish some of my goals and those might be down the road; for now I'm more concerned with getting a good body, that I can GROW into over the YEARS.

<3> PRINTS
Anything bigger than 4x6! I've printed a couple 20 x 30's (approximately), and I'm pretty happy with'm but the prints I made were heavily edited, so I'm not sure how something strait from my 7MP Point & Shoot would look. Therefore I'm not sure what I should expect from a DSLR. Anyway, that's probably as big as I'd go, and keep in mind I'm not going to be hanging them in a professional studio or public museum, they're for my enjoyment and anyone else who wants one or maybe pays for one.

<4> POTENTIAL CAMERAS
The two that keep coming to mind are the Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18MP, and the Nikon D90 DX 12.3MP. I know you said you're a film guy but, I hope you have an opinion which might be better for my situation. I would also be open to a comparable Sony or Pentax. Lastly, do you think I should consider a four-thirds camera/sensor size? I like the small size but I'm worried about the image quality and the amount depth of field, and it's control.
Of the two cameras you mention, I'd heavily favor the Nikon D90. The reason is that the technology hasn't quite gotten to the point that you can cram 18mp into a chip the size of your fingernail without encountering a lot of noise if you're shooting in low light and taking long exposures. The Canon is undoubtedly a good camera if the sun is shining, but the Nikon is good both day and night. The problem is that sensors heat up during a long exposure and the more MP, the more heat you get. Heat causes a sensor to create noise (the equivalent of static snow on a TV screen). The Canon uses noise reduction software (built into the camera) and this works -- to a point. Noise reduction software works by "GUESSING" what color the blanked out pixels (the "snow" or noise) are supposed to be. No matter how good a guess the software makes though, sometimes it will be wrong, so noise reduction software is not as good as getting it right the first time. In a few years, technology will have caught up to the point where noiseless 12mp + cameras will be common, but it isn't quite there yet -- except for large cameras cooled with liquid nitrogen (Dalsas and their ilk). Right now, if you want a small portable camera, about the best you can do is a 12mp digital camera or a medium format film camera.