Are you watching Game of Thrones?

HBO has recently launched a series based on George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels, titled "Game of Thrones."

I'd love to get some gristle going here about it. What do you all think? Faithful to the books? If you haven't read the books, is the story clear so far?

Personally, I'm enjoying it, and I totally fangasmed when Tyrion made his appearance. I think it was well-cast, and the places where the plot has deviated from the books so far (episode 2 as I write this) make sense and serve the story.

So, thoughts?

Time will tell. If True Blood was any indication, HBO is not averse to veering away from the novel entirely in order to make "good television," but I have high hopes.
Comments42
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Still watching...still waiting to see more wolves.....that's the biggest disappointment.

Did anyone else notice they are giving away plot points that the books never did? Maybe I can't recall the books well enough after a year, but I there are some things revealed that I know I suspected a bit, but GRRM never gave such proof. Like the conversation between Petyr and Varys....Petyr calls out Varys on his allegiance to the Targaryens. Was that in the book? I recall thinking that I didn't know who Varys really rooted for, if anyone, but I don't recall it being revealed at all.
OK. Thanks. I tried to do it on the comments box on my page and it would not do it
A neat, eloquent summery of things I don't feel like saying, and a very compelling assortment of reasons I agree with why I won't be watching this show and will pray on a daily basis to a god I don't believe in that it is cancelled and the tv-going masses can be returned gently to proper fiction: [link]
I love you too.
Over all I'm liking the series - and I have read all the books to date. Hopefully with Martin's involvement, they won't stray too far from the storyline for the sake of... other entertainment.
I was a little disappointed about The Hound's appearance - I thought he was supposed to look more gruesome (not that it will keep me from liking him), but I love the casting so far, especially Tyrion. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
I'm so happy about the show so far. I read them last year, so the characters and plots are fresh(ish) in my mind, and I have to say, I don't know how normal viewers would be able to keep up. I've convinced all my roommates to start watching, and they seemed to catch on pretty quick, although they keep coming me at the end of the episodes with, "HOW COULD THEY KILL/MAIM/FUCK THAT PERSON? ITS JUST WRONG."
To which I can only reply, "Welcome to George R R Martin."

Tyrion makes me so happy in EVERY episode. He's just so perfect.

Anyone else read the New York Times review before the show came out? I know there was an outcry among GoT fans, but I was wondering what anyone here thought. I was really disappointed that they gave it such a bad review, especially since the reviewer didn't seem real fond of the fantasy genre, and as a writer, it sort of made examine biases that I might have. Its okay to have an opinion, but that review just seemed blatantly insulting to fantasy enthusiasts.
I am literally watching episode 3 on Sky one as we speak (UK)!

Loving it so far, loving more that my boyfriend is into it- being someone who claims he "doesn't read". I am hoping to get a hold of the books soon so maybe encourage him to read too. I am also greatly amused by the strong Manchester accents being used.
Excellent. I haven't convinced my wife to check it out yet. Pam likes to read books before watching something based on them, and she's not normally an epic-fantasy type.
I like it so far, but I also think it's too early to tell whether the show will succeed as a faithful adaptation of the books, and more importantly whether the show will succeed as a story in its own right and on its own merits.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if the producers decided to take the show in a slightly different (or even drastically different) direction than the books. It's enjoyable to watch familiar events from the books unfold on screen, and so far I think they've done a pretty good job on the world and the characters - my concern is that as the story progresses the sheer density of the books will cause the show to collapse under its own weight. So it's just my opinion, but I'm not averse to a little streamlining in the plot of the show.

Anyway, like I said, I think it's too early to be thinking of such things. I'm just going to go along for the ride :)
I agree with both of you! I'm really rooting for the show to be a success on it's own. I'm really curious to know what friends and family think who haven't read the books.
As for the density I was thinking the same thing! It already feels really dense even for the first season so far. But I read on another site, that there is the possibility that they'll split A Storm of Swords into two seasons. And also we may possibly get more than 10 episodes for future seasons. I hope they do both of these things. I think it would help a lot. They'll definitely have to combine Feast and Dance so the pacing will have to be a lot different then if the show makes it that far.
and more importantly whether the show will succeed as a story in its own right and on its own merits.

THAT is my main concern, and the show will live or die based on that. It's easy to fill a forum with a bunch of GRRM geeks and gush about the show, but if it doesn't sell non-readers on it (aka, "most of the world") then it will go away.

But HBO normally does good work, and so far, this has the signs of good work to me.

:ahoy:
Apparently I'm the only one in this thread who thinks the show is basically stupid. But I always give shows like 2 or 3 episodes...so we'll see how this goes. I might end up liking it and HEY, they might actually write a motherfucking plot for this dramafest. lol.
PUT YOUR BONIFACE AWAY
Instead of tweeting my insane commentary, I will post them here! As I watch the first episode!

1. Calm music, pretty snow and scenery, OH MY FUCKING GOD DEAD BODIES EVERYWHERE.
2. Okay so they're zombies.
3. Is this really going to be a whole show about men slaying shit? Either get on your dragon and FLYYYY, or shut up and get off my tv. And oooh obvious romance! How long can you really pan back and forth between eyes before even the dumbest viewers go "OHHHHHHH." lol.
4. KILLING EVERYTHING!!11 Oh but god forbid we EVER kill a widdle PUPPY! <- so far single redeeming moment is the presence of PUPPPIES!!!
5. Blue tone. Blue tone make DRAMA! And insert gratuitous "we can only have sex on hbo so lets just fill entire scenes with it" scenes here. As well as cheesy contrived warrior camaraderie.

Ya know, done making lists of individual quips. I can tell already this show is going to fail. The plot is really weak but the character building is strong. It's sad to say but that's a setup for a fall for any show. There are lots of silly gimmicks too, obviously added to either attract attention (like how a little kid sets a fire for attention) or make it 'more relateable' for a modern audience, like the guyliner and the shaved chests. I do kind of like the character building bits. But I don't see this show going far due to the utter lack of plot, the silly gimicks, and the mediocre acting (and outright BAD acting on the part of extras, it's like they went to a Mediaeval Times restaurant and said 'huzzah!')
The show is glossing over a lot of small detail from the books that provides more insight into what's going on. These are heavily detailed books, and a lot of that detail actually becomes important later on.

If the show is faithful to the novels, I'll caution watchers to not take anyone or anything for granted. Yes, it does appear at this point that you've seen this movie before, but trust me, Martin is very good at setting up the chess board in a familiar pattern, and then kicking it. I really hope that eventually shines through in the TV version.

On the sex: if you continue to watch the show, you're going to have to get used to the fucking. It's in the books, too. :D It's not gratuitous in many instances, though; sex is the driver behind a lot of important plotlines as much as war and ambition.

And there are a LOT of plotlines. These novels are not about a single, over-arching plot, but a web of interlocking stories about a billion characters. That's one of the things I love about it, but I do get that it's not everybody's cup of tea. :tea:
I don't like books with tons of details. My eyes just gloss over. (Another reason why I'm a bad academic). If I want to feel full of silly details and wonder what the big point is, I'll just look at my own life. One reality is by far one too many.

I don't think your author fellow has anything to do with it. The show comes off as a Family Soap Opera with a medieaeval skin. Been there done that, the only family soap I watch is Desperate Housewives, haha, and even that is INCREDIBLY DUMB at points.

Webby plots never did it for me. Sorry, I like goals. If I want pointlessness and infinite series of small triumphs and small failures, I'll go back to my own reality.
Hey there! I posted this forum to my journal. :) So far I love everything about it except that as a reader of the books, the tv series feels a little rushed.
Hey, here's something fans might really dig. It's a metal version of the opening theme song:
[link]
Love it!!! :D
Thank you. Love your work!
Hey Memnalar! Thanks for visiting my gallery. I'm glad you like it, and I appreciate your nice comments! :lol:
Yeah, I get the direwolf thing. I'm sure they dialed back on their involvement for the sake of expediency, and also because a couple of the wolves vanished from the picture so fast, anyway. I'm sure they will be a bigger part of the show after all the Starks get separated.

It took me a little while to get used to Sansa, but I'm sold. It's going to be a challenging character to play, and I think they found the right person.

Yeah, I'm not 100% on Cersei, either. I think Lena is playing her a little too sympathetic, given the shrew she was in the first book. I have the opposite problem with Jaime, at this stage of the story, he should be a complete bastard at all times EXCEPT for when he's dealing with Tyrion. In the show, he strikes me as a vapid pretty boy, not the Kingslayer. Even so, I still like them, and I'm not about to write them off yet. :D

Fucking LOVE Tyrion. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Peter Dinklage is nailing it, which suits me right down to the ground...if you'll pardon the expression.

VERY much looking forward to more from Sandor Clegane. Always liked him, even when he's unlikeable, which is often.

I thought Illyn Payne should have been taller, but otherwise...yep, that's what he looks like. :D

I never liked Catelyn. I still don't like her, which means Michelle Fairley is doing a damned good job playing her. :)

Thanks for the pimpage! :hug: This is going to be a good series.
I have seen both episodes so far and I am pleased in many ways, but a few things nagged me a bit.

-in the first episode, the absence of the dire wolves after they found them really missed the mark. In the books those wolves were practically attached to the Stark children, facilitating early on a very strong, (pre-cursor to the supernatural) bond. After watching the second episode, it seems the wolves are mostly around only when they are really needed to facilitate a scene. I wonder if it was just too difficult to have the dogs on set so frequently, and I can understand that issue....but I am still a little disappointed in it all the same.

-Sansa for some reason does not match my physical idea of her, not sure why. But the rest of the cast is pretty damn close, especially Ned, Robert, Arya, Jaimie, Bran, Dany and Viserys.

-I am having issue with Lena Headley's acting the part of Cersei. Physically she is a strong match and sometimes I feel it in her, but other times I think there is not enough strong emotion in her character. I pictured Cersei as feigning sweetness easily, but then at times her fiery core just bursts right through. When she demanded Lady be taken, I felt it should have been one of those times she lost it a little. Lena cocks her head side to side a lot too....it distracted me and didn't seem right.

Well, it may not seem like it from the long comment, but I am overall enjoying the series and look forward to watching it each week. Hell, I purchased HBO just to watch it!

Great forum by the way! ;) I linked to it on my group :iconthe-iron-throne: so I hope to spread the word to more GoT fans!

Cheers!
Oops, I posted a reply to this, but I missed and put it in the main thread. :stupidme: