AFI - A Secret Behind Sing The Sorrow

Well, my friend actually showed me this cool thing...let me put it here...

Waiting for the new AFI album? Ever wondered about that the hell Sing the Sorrow actually was about - did you get the whole picture? Here's something to wrap your mind around in the meantime. Some girl on myspace wrote this: NB - very long article!

"Me and a cuple of friends stayed up and actually tried to figure AFI's Clandestine its kinda confusing but whatever If ur not gonna have enough time to read this, Copy it and read when u have enough time cuz its really really cool. If u havent seen Clandestine, U should buy it off ebay cuz its pretty cool.

Okay, before this album came out, they released a 10" disk, and called it "336". No one could figure out why, and it was a bit of a secret. All they would really tell us was that when Sing the Sorrow came out, it would all be made clear. Well, they dropped some hints in the meantime. One time while upgrading the messageboard, they left links to astrology, numerology, and the ummm.... I think the chinese zodiac? Another time, a hint was dropped... they said that "336" wasn't really important.. it was just "what comes before." It came before Sing the Sorrow. Meaning that STS was "337." And we really had to figure out what 337 meant. Also, there were the rabbits. They had posters and stuff with rabbits on them. And other weird mentions of rabbits. In the liner notes from STS, it says, "Rabbits are roadkill."

So Sing the Sorrow came out, and no one could figure it out. Then their short film, "Clandestine" came out. It had the cd, the dvd short film, and a 60 page little hardcover book, which was like a big colored version of the cd booklet. Thw whole style is of faded, worn pages. The pages are old and stained... brownish stains.. But as you flip through the book, you begin to realize that some of the stains and smudges are actually red. All of the stains are actually blood, and dried blood. (I haven't seen the film in a long time, so I might have a few details wrong.) Now, in the film, it starts with Hunter holding a box with the Sing the Sorrow logo on it, running through the forest. He looks at a paper, and keeps running. The paper gets dropped, and you see that it says Room 37 at 3:33. He runs into a classroom full of kids. The board says, "nothing from nowhere."

Then you see Adam playing cards. The box is on the table (in the pot), along with a watch, keys, a magnifying glass, a bottle of dark fluid, a white chrysanthemum, and a live rabbit. Adam has 336 in his hand. He wins, takes the box, and goes to leave, but the box falls apart in his hands. You see that two of the guys at the table have actually smuggled away the real box. It flashes to Dave in a cafe. He is writing in a book (the book that comes with Clandestine... it's like the cd booklet, but better), with the box on the table. A strange woman comes up and kisses him, stealing the box. She leaves, and he goes back to writing. He notices the box is gone, and leaves. It flashes to Jade walking into the classroom, (the board says "I am no one at all." and through another door in the class, which leads him into a house. You see him snooping through the house. Going upstairs, going through drawers, looking behind dressers, etc. He goes into the bathroom, and the tub is filled with a black fluid. He reaches in, and pulls out the box.

You see a hand at the door of the bathroom (maybe the hand of the woman from the cafe?), trying to open it. They unlock the door (with the keys from the card table?) Jade jumps into the tub, going down, down into the water. He comes walking out of the water on a beach. He walks across the sand to a small table where all the members sit waiting. He places the box on the table, and they open it. End of film. You never see what is or isn't inside. Throughout the movie, it flashes the clock, which, for every person's scene, is on 3:33, and at the very end, I believe it's 3:37.

Now, I have friends that spent forever figuring this out, and I helped some. They looked up esoteric astrology, chinese astrolgy, and numerolgy, among other things. Clandestine means something secret or hidden. Esoteric also means hidden. "Miseria Cantare" is Latin for "Sing the Sorrow." 3 x 37 = 111. I'm not positive, but I hear that 777 represents god, or perfection. In Transference, Dave wrote, "I'm 111 less than perfection." 777 - 111 = 666. Dun dun DUUUUNNN. (P.S., NO, they are in no way devil worshippers. Just for your info.) Also, Three denotes divine perfection; Seven denotes spiritual perfection. In esoteric astrology, 336 represents physical death, and the events leading up to it. There were only 2 songs on the 336 disk. Some of the lyrics of one of the songs say, "We're all now in dying days.... I gave up fighting. I've come to be these halos."

337 represents the act of reincarnation. This is important: In chinese astrology, Dave is a RABBIT. He was born the year of the rabbit. RABBITS CANNOT BE REINCARNATED. Rabbits are on their last life in this world, and do not have another chance. In numerology, Dave's life path number is 3. In some middle eastern philosophy, they say that there are 37 deeds you must do before you can reach nirvana, or peace/heaven, and be done on the wheel of life.

The whole cd goes in a circle. The sounds at the end are backwards. They end in the same beat and same key as the beginning of the cd. It's one continuous loop. The music before This Time Imperfect is the same played forward as it is played backward. The front of the album has the symbol of falling leaves. Falling leaves represent death, and returning to the earth. The back of the album has a symbol of water. Water represents rebirth. All of the art for this album has been circles. Another symbol of something repeating, of reincarnation. Also, at the beginning of the film, Hunter is running through the forest (leaves), and at the end, they're on the beach (water). The black fluid in the bathtub relates to "Bleed Black." The chrysanthemum on the card table relates to "The Great Disappointment." It's all crazy.

Basically, the whole theme is death and reincarnation, and the fact that he CANNOT reincarnate again. Look at the song lyrics. Although each song as a whole isn't about this, there are specific lines that corroborate this theory. Example: "Discarnate." "Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all." Discarnate means being bodiless. Like floating in time and space. Essentially, being... nowhere. Nothing. There are other questions as well, like why are the leaving songs out of order? Well, since the cd is one big circle, we don't believe that it actually begins with Misera Cantare. At the end of Clandestine, there is breathing. Just like at the beginning of Bleed Black. I believe that the album BEGINS with Bleed Black. That would put the song as beginning after Clandestine. There was a theory that the box at the end was just empty. (I forget why.) Well, the first words are, "I am exploring the inside. I find it desolate."

So, if it starts with Bleed Black, the breathing at the beginning could represent life. (Being born, perhaps?) That would put the song whose lyrics say, "recreate me," and more importantly, "I know I died that night, and I'll never be brough back to life once again." So, playing that as the first song, and going full circle around the cd, that puts the leaving songs into order, and ends the cd with The Leaving Song Pt II.

Now, some people think that Dave "dies" over the course of this cd. Some say that the "death" (if there is one) occurs during This Time Imperfect. That would make sense that Miseria Cantare would be the beginning... from nowhere. Bodiless... Then comes The Leaving Song Pt II, whose very first lyrics say, "Don't waste your touch, you won't feel anything." The spanish in the song says, "Yo he estado aqui muchas veces antes y regreso" ("I have been here many times before and I return") "Yregreso aqui otra vez y comenzo" ("So I return here once again and I begin"). Like being reborn. The circle of birth and death and rebirth. "I saw its birth. I watched it grow...."

Also the fact that the poem is read as in the 3 stages of life. Like he is aging through it. So yeah, it's pretty creepy. That's most of it. There are other small things, like, "Rabbits are roadkill," and then there's the sound of a vehicle accelerating through the rain at the beginning of Silver and Cold. There is also a very small, very blacked out picture of what looks to be a truck or something (maybe the vehicle?) in the book. All sorts of details."

*Thanks to TxAxNxDx for posting this on our messageboard.

I got this from a website...and it's actually opened my mind up a little bit more to AFI, in fact, I'm listening to them from Bleed Black as the first track. It does make a hell of a lot of sense when you think about everything. Crazy huh?
Comments19
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
5 of 5 glitter adorned sings the sorrow... The lyrics are incredibly deep and heart wrenching, as well as the music behind them.
Please do not revive old threads. :)
The only secret behind that cd is how bad it suc....wait....that wasn't a secret.
haha, hmm. This is an interesting study - I have never been able to decide whether I enjoy the album or not.

crazy none the less.
Yeah true. Well...let's just hope that you can finally decide. Doesn't matter what you pick. Decision is one step in life. ^_^
I really must agree with `thrawn and `disintegration

Personally, this whole spiel makes me think of Tool. So I suppose I'll go dig out one of their albums now, despite the pretentious bastards that they are.
Well, all I have to say is this: If they were taking the time and effort to come up with this almost accurate conceptual symbolism (i'm saying 'almost' because I have no idea where the fuck they got that "336 is death" bullshit), they could at least have had the decency to come up with actually good music to present such things. I mean, come on... it's kind of pathetic when the message you're trying to convey turns out to be more interesting and well thought than how you chose to present it.
Well some of us do have different points of views on STS. To be honest, I am still trying to comprehend the 336. I wouldn't see it as pathetic, in fact, I thought it as admirable.
The "pathetic" (perhaps a word missuse from my part) is just about how they had to come up with a huge conceptual scheme to keep their fans and casual listeners distracted from the fact that their music is OK at most, when not bordering on mediocrity. Mind you, I do applaud the research and effort they put on embedding such topics and creating the hints to discover them. But if I was to make such thing, I'd first make sure my music is good enough to live up to a scheme of such proportions.
Well, they didn't really make Clandestine or 336 that big of a deal, in fact, I tried looking up some stuff about it, and the only way I would be able to purchase them was through eBay. I don't think they were trying to target their fans, but basically, just have fun with their upcoming album. I mean, I guess I can understand where you come from, where it's like "big talk," but did they really have the musical skill and intellect to back up their deep philosophies and mythologies that they put into the project...

My answer would be yes, and I think it's basically up to the listener to decide. Note that I've only learned this (the whole conceptual scheme, as you so put it) a while ago, and in the past, I still loved STS, but I did admit that their past stuff is way better...especially Black Sails In The Sunset. I wouldn't call this defending them, but maybe bringing more stuff into clear.
Holy hell that album sucked.

If they honestly planned that much into it, props to them as artists insofar as metaphor and analogy is concerned, but seriously, that album was really bad. I mean really bad. :|
Actually, I loved that album, even though their past albums were better. It's just the fact that they were very artistic, and I guess they went with a more mainstream-melodic approach that got them success. I still loved Sing The Sorrow...

...but Black Sails is king. ^_^
i agree i loved that album. their older stuff was awesome too. cant wait for the next one!
Well thank you. I really can't wait either. If they actually end up doing the same thing as they did with Sing The Sorrow, I'll do anything possible to catch up with everything, like Clandestine and 336 is to STS.
yea, they r def one big enigma.
But I think that is what either makes them likeable, but to others...it seems that they are nothing more than sellouts. I don't see it either way. They are just having fun with it, like SlipKnot with their masks, and Avenged Sevenfold with their show names.