How do you go about writing music?

Even though I've been playing music for quite some time, and have an adequate knowledge of musical theory, I can't for the life of me get round to composing music. The closest I can get to original ideas are motifs, all done on a chromatic scale, and I can never get a coherent mood or story out of it.

So with that said, all musicians on this forum, how do you usually go about writing or composing music that feels satisfying to you?
Comments23
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It depends on what sort of music. If I'm writing "pop songs" or otherwise singable songs with lyrics, it generally comes to me as an idea (a few bars with words, the general mood of the song) and then I extrapolate from there. I usually write the lyrics first, and the melodies come to me as I write the words. I try to maintain consistency melodically and thematically, as well as harmonically (though that can be a bit more adventurous and acyclical). Occasionally I'll take a solely written song and work out all the melody and harmony afterwards, and that usually happens when I'm in a hurry to get an idea down and I dash off a page or two of lyrics. Music stays in my mind longer than words do, and it takes longer to refine.

If I'm writing instrumental pieces or pseudo-classical stuff - which is for me much more labour-intensive than writing a "song" as such - I generally build off motifs or melodies, and the chord structure just falls into place, though sometimes I have to experiment a fair bit with them, and I'll often go back and redo a section entirely with new lines and new voicing, or I'll just replace the entire thing.
Before you can write music, you gotta listen to even more music first. That's where you get your ideas. All the riffs, melodies, drum patterns, song structures and so on. After that, everything just comes naturally because you'll already have a bunch of sounds in your head that you wanna play around and experiment with.

Since you play music, I suggest learning and doing covers of other songs you really like first too.

Also, don't force yourself when you write music. It won't feel satisfying at all, and it would be hard to get anywhere.
Ignore rhyming.

Avoid using "like"

If it's a love song, avoid any kind of sappy lyrics that have been done a million times over. Avoid using "I" and "you"
I look at a picture and try to get myself into the mood portrayed by the image. Whatever sounds come in my head as a result becomes charted down.
I generally don't sit down and force myself to write anything. Ideas for different things come to me naturally and I work to figure out different ways they can go together and can be altered to decide what options are attractive and the most coherent.  At some point I'm satisfied with a certain set of options and expand upon and iron those out into something more complete. Music can just float around in your head, or it can be recorded somewhere for later until you find a use for it.
I just make it as I go :shrug: 
Mostly I hum the tune out, record myself humming the beat, then I get really fucking angry and just start yelling, next I write the basic chord progressions, write the lyrics down, create a drum track, next up is the slamming bass (Generally keep this bit quite simple), then I add the raw gritty edits and boom. I'm more of a vocalist but I can play a few instruments, but whenever I'm in the studio recording vocals I have to totally zone myself out and keep myself on edge. I keep a punching bag in the room to keep the adrenaline going.

Genre: Slam/Deathcore/Death metal
The same way I write political speeches, I take a shit on a piece of paper, fold it in half to create a symmetrical pattern, unfold it, and describe what I see like it's a Rorschach test.
Fair enough. Whatever gets you feeling productive, I guess.
Well, I first come up with a theme of what I want to do. Then I experiment on the piano until I hit on something I like. I then take that and come up with a rough draft I can then edit.
I start with chords played on my MIDI keyboard set to an instrument that evokes the mood of what I want to convey.  For instance, if the song is sad, I might use a piano.  If it's about a robot taking over humanity, I might use a synthesized bass sound. Developing story from scratch is hard, so I take from life events.  Figure out what your issue is, the climax, and then how you resolve it.

After that, I play with melody - taking particular care to purposefully not abide by the rules set down in music theory.  If I reach a road block I'll refer to my books, but I prefer to let the music flow (as cheesy as that sounds). 

Finally, a lot of my work is synthetic, so after the foundations are down I'll start synthesizing the rest of my instruments. As for structure/composition, I don't really do anything out of the ordinary: Intro, verse, chorus, break, verse, chorus, chorus; or chorus, intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus, outro... type stuff. :)  Been experimenting a lot of with classical structures recently too, which has been quite fun.
Usually, I just come up with a chord progression that I kind of like, and start humming along to it until words and melodies come to me.

I rarely think in technical terms unless I get stuck, I find that it tends to lead to a very robotic arrangements. Music theory can act as a guide for where you should go, but you should never let it dictate your next move. There's nothing worse (to me) than music that has a bunch of time signature and key changes only for the sake of having them.

In terms of overall structure, I usually just go with what sounds right. If it feels like it should transition into a new section, it will.
I completely disagree with that, musical notation is part of the core of what music is. That's like saying writers shouldn't care about grammar.
Running with your analogy, there are poets, well respected poets, I might add, that disregard elements of grammar in order to emphasize certain phrases or for an overall effect in their piece.

While on some level, you should be aware of music theory, it doesn't necessarily define good music. Music theory is more general consensus of what sounded good in the past and why it sounds good. Again, a guide, more so than rigid rules that you MUST follow. Of course, there's always a point in which piece of music starts to become completely unlistenable to most ears when you start to completely ignore music theory, I have a hard time believe that someone won't be using at least some of the guidelines set out by theory, even by accident.

Of course, there's always the John Cages of the world who want to mess with everyone's head and have them question what music even is.
Well poetry is a lot different than regular writing.

I'm in a music theory class right now and it really opened my eyes to how music is created. All music follows these ideas of music theory, even if they don't mean to.
Doesn't stop it from being a part of writing as a whole.

Poetry is to writing as lowercase or, even free jazz, is to music. 
Start with a small melody and build off of that. Once you have a core, it's easier to work with, expand upon, and improve (that goes for any artistic medium really).
I say something simple like "Huni Dollu" and repeat that phrase for 3 minutes while I got another guy with a deep monotone voice saying some Obama, J Stalin, or Mike Tyson quotes. 

Timpani beats with some kalimba.
For a second I thought you were talking about the bay area rapper J Stalin
Oh shit I forgot about him. Does he still rap?
Yea he's still putting stuff out.
He and DJ Fresh put out an album together last year. Shit's pretty good.

Also while we're on the subject of the bay area, Mozzy had a Tonight Show tape with DJ Fresh and it's really good. Highly recommended.