how do you get into new types of music

As much as I want to get into more genres of music like jazz for example because I like to litsen to it while I work, I never seem to find a right place to start with the genre and many others and end up litsening to something else...
do you have any tips for me that could help me get into not just jazz, but any type of music genre.
Comments20
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Check out Pink Freud.
In general, TV adds OR u can buy music magazines with reviews & that'll give u suggestions & a rough description of the artists sound (not sure if this works for jazz though....I listen 2 indie) :)
My way, is to just go to a music shop, go to the mixed selection shelve, close my eyes, reach out and whatever I take, I buy... then it usually sits on my stack of CDs for a few months when I can be bothered to listen to it ;)
I used to just buy random used CDs from stores like Half-Price books.  If the jewel case looked remotely interesting, I bought it.  :lol:  Got into a bunch of different stuff that way.
I did the same back in 2002, I went into a secondhand goods shop called Cash Generator, they had a large selection of CDs, I pulled out two that had some cool cover artwork, bought them, listened to them, really liked what I heard, got hooked on the genre (Gabber) and have never looked back since!
search for jazz infused with music that you're more used to. that worked for me, in the opposite way, because i knew jazz first xD
that way i met free jazz, avant-garde crap, rap, electronic stuff, etc.
I just add a ton of new stations to Pandora and shuffle em.
OR I have my Backstreet Boys radio thumb-whipped so well it plays hundreds of different songs and every week or so I get a wave of new ones to vote through.
I usually listen to mixes on 8tracks when I'm looking for bands. I find a good playlist of genres I'm looking for, or a mood I'm in or whatever else, and then listen away. I favorite songs I like, then later I go look at the other songs the band/artist has posted on youtube or soundcloud.
What I do is I use the suggestions tab in YouTube to lead me as far away from the genre of music I'm currently listening to. That's actually how I found one of my favorite indie artists - I just kept clicking at interesting thumbnails, and before I knew it I went from a standard summery pop song to an indie song titled "Drunken Shrimp", haha. 

Finding covers of songs you already like can lead you to new artists who have branching tastes as well. Then of course, just asking around for suggestions and maybe listening in on a friend's playlists can help. :D
Depends on what kind of genres and subgenres you like. Explore. Ask other people what their favorite bands, artists, and albums are. I recommend using last.fm, Spotify, and RateYourMusic.
Sometimes you have to listen to an album multiple times to really feel it.

Personally, if I had to rate my top 5 albums it'd be
Panda Bear - Person Pitch www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMu2QM… (Psychedelic pop/Folk, uses repetition to its advantage and creates a wonderful atmosphere that really takes you to another world. Make sure you've got a good pair of headphones.)
Charles Mingus - Let my Children Hear Music www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKd_f2… (Beautifully combines jazz and classical)
Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz www.youtube.com/playlist?list=… (Adds a lot of glitchy electronics to Sufjan's normally very abstract folk style. Impossible Soul is also an adventure in and of itself.)
Bjork - Homogenic www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al1iDG… (Experimental pop at its best. That's all I can say.)
The Avalanches - Since I left You www.youtube.com/playlist?list=… (Samples over a hundred different vinyls and is one of the grooviest, funkiest albums I've listened to. Really great to get you in a good mood.)

Hopefully that'll get you started on some genres :^)
Choose your friends carefully.  Make sure they have decent musical tastes.  I can't tell you how many bands I've found because of recommendations by people I know.  Join some fan groups on social media like FB for particular bands or genres and sample what people post.  That is the main way I find stuff, actually.  

Music mags often have free cd samplers as well.  Three years ago I found my very favourite musician of all time that way.  
Wikipedia. I'll pick a band that I like (Pink Floyd, for instance), and then I'll do two things: look up their genre, and then look up their influences, both on Wikipedia. It let's me connect a lot of different genres together that I normally thought wouldn't go together.
I usually check a site called Rate Your Music's charts for what's been voted as a genre's best albums.

It also has a big list of the subgenres that have branched off of it and whatnot.
I ask for music recs from friends and on forums.

For jazz, start with Ornette Coleman

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj7v9U…
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d2oqn…
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbt9DD…
neat, I'll check it later 
Make a last.fm profile, scrobble a few jazz/ or whatever musicians, and you'll soon start discovering other similar artists.

I would also wikipedia a ton of different genres and subgenres, search for artists that fit that description on last.fm and figure out whether that was music I wanted to listen to or not. That's how I grew to love stuff like deathrock, powerviolence, shoegaze, neoclassical, rhytmic noise, no-wave etcetc.