[insert random, fairly interesting phrase or combination of words]

Sorry for the title, couldn't think of a decent one.

Anyway, time for some discussion, so let me tell you this little story first, before we get to the point.

I was having an arguement with my sister(well, more of a verbal fight than an arguement), where she had problem with me not knowing/recognizing radio-related artists of nowadays, which she referred to as "common knowledge"(the closest you get when you try to translate the swedish word "allmänbildning").
I disagreed with that for at least 3 different reasons(which I will come back to later), but my explainations didn't suit her, like it never really does for her, since when she has her mind set on some sort of "rules" or how reality "works" she wont change her opinion on the subject.
The reasons why I disagreed with her:
1. Common knowledge when it comes to todays music doesn't exist, because common knowledge is knowledge that everyone should know about, but which artists you should now about is, well, only the ones that you listen to, since you have no need to know about something random shit you don't listen to(unless you maybe work with something which need you to know that stuff). Or at least don't force on me useless "common knowledge". Music is percieved differently, thus making it a matter of perspective of what you enjoy of it. So to make a part of it into obligatory "knowledge" is kind of like punishment for quite a large mass of people, almost in the area of torture for some.
The history of music might be called common knowledge, but not what's playing on the radio today.
2. I actually know a few of those "common knowledge" artists thanks for internet, because almost no matter what you do, there will exist some piece of it. So yes, I do have some "common knowledge".
3. You just dislike the fact that I like metal music, and that at least 80% of what I listen to contains growling. Stop trying to force me into something you already know I dislike. (yeah, this is more of a personal-directed reason, which you actually don't have to read nor care about, unless you really enjoy reading personal stuff)

So, to you readers(and possible responders), if popular music of today should be considered "common knowledge", give me(and the rest of us disbelievers) a reason why everyone should know about it.
Is there such a thing as common knowledge when it comes to music? What should everone know about music?
Or you just can post an experience you had yourself with close-minded people who thinks their musical opinion should be above everyone else's opinions(or something like that).
Comments5
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think common knowledge should only apply to artists who have stood the test of time, not the garbage top 40 on the radio.  I feel that everyone should know things like The Beatles, Elvis, Edith Piaf, Queen, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, and Mozart to become a bit more musically cultured and perhaps learn what good music sounds like so they can develop a better taste themselves.

TL;DR version: That crap won't last, common knowledge should only apply to the classics.
And Yankovic! Can't forget Yankovic.
If today's popular music is "common knowledge", then I have uncommon ignorance.  I have NO clue what is popular these days.  And I like it that way.

If I want to discover new music, the radio is the last place I look.  I hate that shit.  

I think everyone should have a clue who the seminal artists are: Beatles, Stones, Zep, the Who, Doors, Floyd etc.  They should probably know a name or two in blues and jazz as well, but apart from that....maybe that there are a zillion genres, there is more great music out there than you will ever know if you live to be a thousand, and most musicians struggle.  
tl;dr
Had an arguement about common knowledge in music. Your opinion about it?