Nightwish - The Greatest Show on Earth

I know, it may sound silly to make a thread for a single song, but I just can't praise this masterpiece enough. Besides, it's basically 5 songs in one. And on top of that, not many metal bands actually succeed on making an over 20 minute song, that actually makes you listen it completely, over and over again. I know that many bands in metal have tried it, but I just feel like Nightwish is the first one to actually nail it. The song is just something else, pretty much as the title says.

So, here is a link to the song: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJb3xw…

Is it just me, or does this need a short film built around the song?
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I used to like them when they had Tarja in band, but now listen only their instrumental/orchestral Cds that come with special editions at times. 
As I said earlier, have you heard Floor singing songs from Tarja's era? She pulls them off masterfully.
It's not about Floor, and I  never dismissed the new singers, but something  changed in the composition itself. Tuomas got bigger budget and got access to orchestrations on full scale and things like that. I am not one of those "omg Tarja or nothing" people, but something in band itself made me prefer instrumentals to the female (read: any) vocals in it. Not sure how to explain myself better. Tuomas would make excellent film composer, but as band on stage, I feel NW repeats itself too much too though.  Good thing is that they make those instrumental Cds though ! 
I used to love this band a good deal, they were one of my all time favourites. 
I was a major fan from 2006-2014, I still listen to their stuff all the way up to 2014. 
Floor seems like a good vocalist, but I don't think her style is the kind of stuff I like. 
Tarja was lovely, I adored Anette as well. 

But yeah, this newer stuff just isn't my type when compared to their older stuff :P 
Have you seen videos of 'Stargazers' from their new tour? Floor is totally like 'just give me them Oceanborn and Wishmaster' :D

Here's one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKCcFY…
So yeah, she can pull off Tarja's songs too :D
I love the new Nightwish and this song too :)
Floor Jansen is a very good addition to the band, I can't wait to see them in concert in December :)
Oh god the nostalgia. I haven't listen to this band in years.
I had the same, until they released EFMB. One of my favorite albums in 10 years with ease. Feels like they are finally at the level they have always wanted to be.
Ehhh, Nightwish is far from the first band to succeed at making a 20+ minute song. You're neglecting a very fine selection of classical pieces, jazz pieces, and progressive rock pieces, among many others.

Case in point, Pink Floyd's 23 minute song "Echoes" off of their 1971 Meddle album. That song set the stage for "The Dark Side of the Moon," arguably one of the best albums to have come out in the past 40+ years. In fact, "Dark Side of the Moon" in-and-of-itself might as well be consider two 20 minute songs, considering the only break in the flow is because of time constraints inherent on vinyl records.

Then you have the likes Rush, King Crimson, ELP, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, and Dream Theater, to name but a few, who songs routinely clock in at over 15 - 20+ minutes in length. And don't even get me started on jazz :D (Big Grin) 

That's not to say that this isn't a good song; I most certainly think it is. I like the concept, and I think it sounds very epic :) (Smile)  
Oh fu, I brainfarted. I was talking about bands in metal genres xD For example, I can't stand the Dream Theare's epics, because they just feel like the band is trying way too hard :D
Ahhh, fair enough xD I'm the exact opposite with Dream Theater; I love how complex and over-the-top their epics can get, especially Octavarium.
I see :D They are quite, eh, interesting(?), in my opinion, it's just like... I don't know. Maybe the guys actually do them as a joke xD
They definitely do joke a lot with their music; you see it more in their live performances :D But for me, it's just how intricate their music can get. I don't know how much reading you want to do, but the Wikipedia article on the Octavarium album does a good job at explaining the meaning behind it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavari…