Favourite decade of music

For me, the majority of my favourite songs come from the 70s and 80s. That being said, there are some songs that I like from other decades including 60s and 90s. 

What's yours?
Comments131
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I quite like what I've heard of the 10s. For the past the transition from the 70s to the 80s is really interesting as more electronic elements get introduced.
Yeah, electronic music for me kicked off in the early 80s.
I don't really have a favourite era since I can't be bothered with searching about the music I listen to, listening is enough for me. But past 2 or 3 years I've been obsessed with 90s music, especially those originated from the UK, the indie scene of Manchester. The Stone Roses is just too good to be true. And 90s Seattle music scene, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden... Come to think of it, I seem to enjoy 90s music of my country too. I play the piano and used to be obliged to listen to the classical music and my favourite is probably the romantic era, Chopin being my all time favourite to both listen to and play. I love contemporary stuff too but I can't give a name since I just open up a list on spotify and listen to it all through the night without even checking their names.

Also I'd like to agree with some of the people above who mentioned that every era had its good music and bad music. Everyone seems to enjoy dissing today's music but there are a lot of great artists who produce beautiful sounds and since they are so experimental with their art (I like calling these tunes art), they are above any kind of music genre. What I believe is, because of technology, it seems to get much easier to produce songs today than before. There are too many songs with the same kind of structure that are released everyday that we get frustrated and fed up with it. They are played everwhere, we are exposed to them anytime and it is almost sickening. Probably, people who lived in previous years used to hate their times' music too.
Do you know something?

I used to be really elitist towards those who listened to "new" music (from 2000s onwards). But now I realise that every era had its fair share of good and crap music.
80s and 90s. HEAVY F***NG METAL ERA.Headbang! 
Well, I have to say that I agree with you 100% agree. I like 90s - 95s. I was born in 96 btw xD

these are some of my favourite ones
- Green Day (till now) they still exist with three members.
- Guns N Roses
- The Rolling Stones
- Nirvana
- and lady rocker Alanis Morissete
I was born in 91. So I was lucky to be born to see the whole of 90s music before it went downhill. 
I feel like it all depends entirely on the genre of music for me. For jazz it's the 60s. For rock it's the 70s (mostly for punk rock and related music). For rap it's definitely the 90s. For anything else it's hard to pick.
When it comes to jazz, there were lots of good artists from before the 60s. I prefer rock music in the 60s than the 70s though. The best era for rap for me was the late 80s to the mid-90s.
Oh yeah, definitely. Most of the good hard bop was in the 50s, but they started to truly experiment in the 60s. I can see where you're coming from with the rest of that too. I feel like my preferences really do gesture towards the beginning of the consciously experimental periods of each of those genres. With rock that'd also be the 60s but the entire songwriting style of popular music in general was changing drastically by the 70s.
I see. I always thought of the 1970s as a more experimental era as a great deal of musical styles had already been established by that point (such as blues, R&B, rock n roll, rockabilly, country, jazz). And therefore lots of bands during that period used different styles.
I love music from most decades but when it comes to music and movies its 80s.
Some of my favourite movies came from 80s such as Back to the Future, The Goonies, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, The Neverending Story, Batman, Ghostbusters and Superman II.
All of those are great movies. :)

I also love the Karate Kid,  The Terminator, Alien 2, Die Hard, Predator, E.T. Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Shining, Poltergeist, Blade Runner, Star Trek The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek The Voyage Home, The Money Pit, The Thing, Robocop, Mad Max The Road Warrior
I've only seen one that was The Shining.
I'm into new shit, so the 00's? :lol:
The 00s are a bit hit-and-miss for me. There were some good songs and not so good ones.
Probably 80s pop, rock and punk. Though a lot of 90s cheesy boyband pop too, and of course 90s punk and pop punk. I like some of the 2010+ hardcore coming along too.
80's have the most songs I love but i can find atleast one song I love starting from the 60s till today
for me its the 60s and 90s. these two decades were incredible though the 70s and 00s are great too. I need to give the 80s more of a listen.
I liked both decades. Both had great music. So does the 80s, I think it gets a lot of flack by many people these days.
80s-90s, for sure!