Vikings in heavy metal

Well, I don't know if it's in the right section but I think it is.
First, know that I'm not an enemy of Vikings. I don't have any hate to them. I don't really love them too, yet I like them, although I like celts the most. Whatever.

I just wanted to say that Vikings' popularity in heavy metal annoys me. I mean, there's always Viking themed stuff. Almost all of the folk metal bands are Viking themed. Yeah, their mythology and stuff are beautiful. I agree that. I highly agree that. I just think that we shouldn't exalt them this much. "Röööaaarrgghhhhh Vikings Vikings I'm a freaking Viking don't you seee I have long hair and beard I pray to Odin and sacrifice stuff" that's what most of you are like.

Okay, I can understand that Scandinavians want to remember their ancestry. It's all okay and right - also something that everyone should. But why do we exalt Vikings so much? Why everyone that listens to Viking themed stuff acts like Vikings and exalt them, see them as heroes? I myself listen to a lot of Viking bands too, but I don't see a reason to act like this. I think it's not something right to do.

Please don't get it as a hater, I just wanted to get your opinions, I understand if you don't agree, I just wanted to know what you think. I'd be happy if you share your opinions.
Comments42
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
For me, I learned about Norse culture and mythology first, before listening to the music. That's why I like the Vikings so much, and sometimes behave like them. But I don't act like that because of the music. But I can't answer your question on the fanatics of Viking themed music. Just know that we don't exalt them just because of the music. At least not all of us.
i can kinda see where you're coming from. i don't know to what bands you like to listen, but i found most bands i listen to evolving away from the viking theme within newer albums (or maybe i don't notice it anymore and just listen to the music).
I do indeed have a lot of viking metal to listen to, along with plenty of international metal in general.

Being a bit of a history buff and into mythology as well, would be nice to see more options than ye olde Norse references.

Alternatively, there are Scandinavian bands that don't overdo the "waaagh vikiiiings" theme. Sabaton is an excellent example, Swedish in this case. Generally when they get historical they focus on the World Wars like here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGtEH1…

Or in the case of one album, their focus was on later Swedish history, the 30 Year's War in particular: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLt0le…
I agree, Sabaton is a great band which I love very much. I first tought they were German, I was shocked when I learnt that they're Swedish.
If they were German, they'd likely get even more flak for their love of WWI and WWII songs than they do as it is. =w=
Turisas is also a decent example, while they're still rather viking-obsessed, they usually stick to later-era historical and mythological stuff, like the Varangian Guard or early Russian history.

Still, Egyptian Mythology metal would be a nice change of pace. -w-
maybe you know the band NILE?
Hmm, this sounds worth looking up. owo
View all replies
Turisas is so great, I've seen them live once and they are totally awesome. They're more historical, more than mythological.
I agree, Egyptian mythology metal would be cool and interesting.
Nile's got you covered on the Egyptian mythology. =p
Viking metal isn't even a large minority in the magma pool that is metal, though I guess I can see your dislike as being a reasonable opinion. 
I meant folk and black metal, except them Viking metal is of course not something big.
I don't know what you listen to, but black metal is nowhere near having a majority of viking-themed bands. In fact, black metal is almost exclusively Luciferian in nature. Take bands like Behemoth, Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, and Darkthrone for example. 
You're right actually, sorry about it.
I agree and disagree wuth you, I agree because it's true, they are a lots of Viking oriented themes but if you listen to Black Metal or Scandinavian Metal, it's hard to escape. I disagree because no one force you to listen to Viking themed metal, there are so much more shades to the genre.
I truly agree with you. There's no escape, but I still like Viking folk and black metal.
And of course no one forces me, it's all by myself. I like Russian - or Slavic- and Celtic folk metal the most. But to be honest, it's hard for me to find bands which I like. Whatever. I think you understood.
No worry I do understand even though I never manage to get myself really into the Viking Folk effect yet.
Recently I started to listen to Myrur, it's a one woman band Black/Death metal from Danemark, it's quite good.

Anyway don't ask yourself too much questions :)
A one woman band? I've seen so many one man bands such as Arathorn, Burzum and Emyn Muil, but never a one woman band. Thanks, I'll try it, I'm curious now.
I don't think there is a lots of woman in Black Metal unfortunately. Please let me know what you think :)
Yes, like, no woman. But I know a lot of women who likes black metal, this is ridiculous.
Sadly, I couldn't find any songs or website related to Myrur. Could you please send a link or tell me where did you find it?
View all replies
I think Vikings are used primarily because of all the romantic (idealized) imagery attributed to them---big men with big muscles, blood soaked axe blades, long hair gracefully whipping in the wind, ect which makes sense in a genre of Metal known for its atmosphere and idyllic imagery

In the US some bands replace Vikings with Soldiers of unknown affiliation [because to flat out say they are American would make the song sound Patriotic]
Because it's fun. It's fantasy. That's why I like Alestorm. Indulging in some pirating fantasy.