The ever-increasing threat of hearing loss from loud music

I was browsing my Facebook and chanced upon this article this morning

One billion young at risk of hearing loss from loud music: WHO

It is kind of scary reading this article actually. Imagine 1/6 of the world population losing their hearing, that is really sad and scary. The ability to hear is a beautiful thing, but it is something that is taken for granted by most people until hearing loss kicks in.

I was watching a movie called "It's All Gone Pete Tong" a few days ago. A popular DJ who depends on his hearing for a living suddenly lose his hearing, and his life went on a downward spiral from there. There is also a similar Bollywood movie called "Soundtrack" with a similar storyline. Both stories do show how hearing is taken for granted until you lose it, though in both stories, the protagonist works hard in the end to do what they like to do best (producing music) without their hearing, pretty much like how Beethoven does it.

In the current generation where concerts are really loud (even classical music concerts can hit 120dB), and clubbing is a norm for young adults, the risk of hearing loss is greatly increased. I know clubbing and concerts are fun for many people (I agree too), but without proper care and use of earplugs, one may lose their hearing easily. A good pair of earplugs (or even custom-molded ones) should be a norm in everyone's arsenal to protect against hearing loss.

Hearing loss today is further compounded by the fact that many people blast their music through their earphones. Apple earbuds and earpods are commonplace nowadays, but I do not support the use of these earbuds as they don't block out external noise, which would cause one to listen to it at ear-splitting volumes. The rise in the number of affordable in-ear monitors is a blessing though. While enjoying better sound quality, one can block out a good amount of external noise, thus being able to music at much lower volumes. However, one must keep in mind that they themselves have to choose to play music at lower volumes too, or the problem might actually get worse.

I know I like to ramble a lot of uninteresting stuff to others, but this is a important message to everyone of my generation that I must spread. I wouldn't like to see my friends going deaf, and I believe everyone feels the same way too. Share this message, and let everyone understand how important it is to protect their hearing before it is too late.

Comments21
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I like my music loud.
But then again I already have hearing problems.
When someone speaks to me and there tone is low I have trouble hearing that person if background noise is present.
Higher pitched speaking voices come in clear.
I have worked in industry where noise is very loud for many years. (snow making at ski resorts)

I am a firm believer that loud constant noise promotes hearing loss.
Loud music included.

I myself have a very low talking tone.
I have noticed many people have trouble hearing me speak at normal tones with just min background noise.
The people who have trouble hearing me mostly have low tone speaking voices as well.
People with higher pitched voices, my speech is often heard easily.
Many of them do not listen to loud music or work in a loud industry.

Any studies out there on people with lower tone speaking voices more likely to have hearing loss?
Or would it be part of the brains function to ignore the sounds that coincide with my normal output?

More then just a bit curious.
But why worry when we can all just get hearing aids later on.
Hearing aids may worsen the loss of hearing

It's inconvenient too
I suffer from a loss of hearing and I'm only 22. 

I use to work in theatre and I was a sound technician and I didn't take the advice given to me. 
I have sensitive hearing, so I usually put my headphones at a fairly low volume compared to most people. I can recall a few occasions where my friends have shown me songs on their phones or iPods, and whenever I plug my headphones in they always have it cranked to full volume. :| (Blank Stare) What the hell? Are you fucking deaf or something? I never go that high, not even when I'm purposefully trying to drown out background noise, which thankfully isn't very often.

I've been to a few concerts in my life, mainly indoor ones at random bars, but I find I don't particularly enjoy how loud they are, especially with all the reverberation from being in an enclosed space. I like outdoor concerts much better, but I've only been to a couple of them.
Yeah in my army camp I met a similar situation as well. I got a trooper who wanted to test my earphones so he borrowed my phone, and cranked both my phone and my amplifier to maximum volume. I was like really shocked and was like "are you sure you are going to take care of your ears?".

Really I have a good number of friends who play music loud and go to clubs or concerts often, and to be honest I worry for them.

For me I am planning on get earplugs for the next concert I would attend, I am not taking any chances anymore.
Wait, so you had an external amp on your phone and he cranked them both up? Damn. :P He might not do so well on the battlefield with hearing like that.

I didn't wear earplugs for the last concert I attended, though I'll be seeing Marilyn Manson in about a month, so I should try to get a set.
i heard about this the other day as well. they also said that it's not recommended to listen to more than an hour of music a day, which I hadn't heard before. :| (Blank Stare) 
don't listen with head phones I guess
In ear earphones is fine since it reduces outside noise and also encourages listening at softer volumes.

Listening through open headphones, iBuds and EarPods in public is not though (though they make good home use headphones)
not just loud music can cause hearing loss, but, to solve the issue, don't listen to music loudly.  in my opinion you don't need to share your music with the rest of the group, select a proper volume and then listen to it that way.  you want to tune out the world not blur it out, listening to things too loud, in the long run, will be the end result.
Well to me the EarPods made the situation worse. The fact that sound can leak out (and outside noise leaking in) would cause one to have a tendency to listen music loudly. A nice in-car earphone gives a good amount of isolation, which encourages people to listen at softer volumes.

The fact that the iPhone and iPod are ridiculously popular is not helping. Look at how many people are using EarPods, and I can hear what they are listening to from a lot of them.
so sad, so true.  I'm not interested in hearing what they are listening to either.  but mine, no one can hear, I have it at a point that I can hear around me and I can hear it too.  normally when I'm listening to earbuds I'm out in traffic and want to hear the stuff around me sort of thing too.  guess those who listen to loud stuff don't think of that?
Don't know how to use your enter key? Jejemon wall of text by Die11
Oops somehow it appeared not the way I wanted to...

fixed
:) 

I grew up in a glassblowing/general art studio. There are at least two (and usually three) furnaces and an air compressor running really really loud 24/7/365 and we all practically live up there because well duh, it's awesome.  Everybody asks why we all shout all the time. 

I have to keep background noise running all the time, I have tinnitus really bad, I can ignore it up there and if there's something putting out sound but otherwise it will drive me insane (great, now I'm aware of it again. Way to go, Puppy.)
I am aware about the loudness war, but to me this is pretty much a separate issue that should be addressed.
They have tried to address it. My tablet and the Vita both have automatic volume leveling systems.
I'm sorry but could you talk louder? I can't hear what you're saying!