Music Map

So I'm in a FB group called New Music Alternative II, and one of the members shared this useful tool to help you find new artists to fall in love with.

I thought I'd share The Music Map with you all.
What artists are your favorite?
Are any of the results artists you already like?
Did you find any of interest to investigate?
Was this useful?
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Well the results i get were not quite right
...and there is a free program around that do exactly this but it also link you to bio and singles of each band

It still a good, i guess it may be useful
Be interesting to know how the algorithm works.   I see bands very closely associated that share guest musicians, but sound almost nothing alike. 
Is that so? That would be a neat thing to know. There is some surprising similarity in the bands that I've found.
It's not that good.

Seems to think Cryptopsy has anything to do with Merzbow. Actually has Ciara linked up to AFX.
Not a single result for Гарик Сукачёв. D:<

For dumps n' chuckles, I typed in Queens of the Stone Age. As noted before, the moving interface is somewhat annoying.

Kind of a cool idea, but I'll stick to last.fm :B
I'm gonna take a guess that most of the bands and musicians are American or speak English. o -o Or have English names at the least.
Pfffffffft-uh.
That was worthless. It doesn't even have Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka, Junichi Masuda, Allister Brimble, djpretzel, or Hiroki Kikuta! :shakefish:
Nah, I'm just fine. I was trying obscure Japanese composers on purpose.
Just curious. What bands do you like? And by that, I mean actual bands rather then video game composers
None readily spring to mind.
It's actually quite accurate with my tastes, at least until I checked what they show for Family Force 5.  Aside from 2-3 bands I hate everything it came up with.  It was spot on for Anberlin though, and I'm surprised that it includes all the rather obscure alt-rock bands I'm into. 
Surprisingly Alt rock isn't as obscure as we think it to be. XD I love Alt rock, and I was super excited to see a whole bunch of new bands to look up. ^^
I absolutely hate the moving interface after a search. And I was hoping to actually hear samples of their music because I don't actually know these related bands, instead of just going on a little name-hopping spree.
The moving interface isn't that big a deal. It's just calibrating in action, which I think it kind of cool. After the general decision, they don't move much at all after that.
Yeah, that's the unfortunate part. But hey, something to do in your spare time. Let youtube play their top hits, sit back, relax, and explore the new stuff.
Hey, that's a kinda cool idea.

I tested my favorite band, Die Krupps, and it didn't work so well... Rammstein, Oomph!, and Eisbrecher didn't show up despite those being probably the most similar bands.
ohGr, Front Line Assembly, and Funker Vogt showed up, which I like but aren't metal. It did motivate me to check out Noise Unit though, which I liked (it's another Bill Leeb side-project, of course it's good) but it wasn't the right genre.