Music Recommendation Contest Part 3: Once More With Feeling

Well, the last contest I did wasn't much of a success, but I figured I'd give it another shot, anyway.

This time I decided to go with cover songs.  I like to see different artists' take on a song.  So, recommend some great cover songs and you could win some deviantart points.  

The Rules:
1. Recommended songs must be cover versions of an earlier song, though I don't necessarily have to know the original song.
2. Each contestant can suggest up to three songs for prize consideration.
3. If I already know any of your songs, I'll let you know and you can submit a new one.
4. You must provide a free link to listen to any song you submit (youtube or some other such site).
5. Please look through the songs already submitted as only the first person to suggest a song will get credit for it.
6. Obviously, post your songs here on this thread, not on my profile or in a note.
7. Each person can only win one prize unless there are fewer than 10 participants.
8. The deadline for entries is Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 11:59 pm Mountain Time.

The Prizes:
1st Place - 200 Points
2nd Place - 100 Points
3rd Place - 50 Points
Honorable Mentions - 10 points each

To give you some idea of what I'm looking for, here's some of my favorite cover songs:

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF9AJ…
"Running up that Hill" by Placebo www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0ngi…
"Careless Whisper" by Seether www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7imqO…
"With or Without You" by Scala & Kolacny Bros www.youtube.com/watch?v=imogyJ…
"Pursuit of Happiness" by Lissie www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqIFZF…
"Fix You" by Gregorian www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADKeAl…

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Comments42
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
awww, i missed the deadline Waaaah! 
But I would like to add something anyway :D (Big Grin) 
The Unforgiven by Stefanie Heinzmann
The One I Love by Rosie Thomas
Thanks for sharing.  I liked that "Unforgiven" cover.  It was definitely an original take on it.  I'm not a big Metallica fan, but I've always liked that song.  Rosie Tomas has a great voice.  I think I may actually like her version of that song better than the original.
I'm glad you liked it, and thank you for the points. That was a very nice surprise :-D
You're welcome.
True Colors - Amreican Authors vs. Cyndi Lauper
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Imagine Dragons vs. Nirvana
Violet Hill - Coldplay vs. Pendulum
(Song - Cover vs. Original) 
I didn't read the date, or the comments. Woops. lol But still fun to share. :P Have fun~
Sorry that you missed the deadline, but thanks for the songs anyway.  The "True Colors" cover was my favorite of the three as it had the most original take on the song, but the other two were good, too.
I'm glad you liked the songs! ^_^
Well, it wasn't a great showing again, but still there were some good songs.  The results are as follows:

1st Place - clara-01 for "House of the Rising Sun" by Lauren O'Connell
2nd Place - luvaddict77 for "Ordinary World" by Red
3rd Place - Toni-R for "Rain" by Boris

Honorable Mentions:
ThePinkRoseOfTexas for "I Only Wanna be With You" by The Bay City Rollers.
ResurrectionDreams for "Rasputin" by Turisas
starshowerblade for "Teardrop" by Newton Faulkner
mightybearr for "Who Is He And What Is He to You" by Me'Shell Ndeogeocello
luvaddict77 for "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" by House of Heroes
I can't enter, I prefer the original over a cover.
Plus, I missed the deadline too.....
For the most part, I prefer the original song too, but every now and then a cover comes along that's actually better.  And even if the covers aren't always better, some are enjoyable in their own right.  I wouldn't have disqualified you for missing the deadline by a couple hours.  I'm not that anal.  Plus there weren't that many entrants.
Ordinary World - Red www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELS6u… (original by Duran Duran)
Ob-la-di Ob-la-da - House of Heroes www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMGlp… (By The Beatles of course)
Burning Love - Wyonna www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwXk4-… (Elvis Presley)
Cutting it a little close there.  But I guess that's how you won the first contest, sneaking in at the last second.  Once again, a solid lineup.  Probably the best overall grouping this time around.  The Red one was my favorite of the three, mostly because I absolutely love "Ordinary World".  House of Heroes did a good job covering The Beatles, which isn't always easy.
Yeah, well I generally try to spend at least a day trying to think of something good to recommend.  It takes awhile to find something that you aren't likely to have heard before AND isn't something that only someone who's already a fan of the band covering the song would enjoy.  The one from Red was the only thing that came to mind immediately, and it happens to be from my favorite album of theirs.
I like the fact that you actually put some thought into it.  There is a certain skill to recommending music.
My recommendations:

Boris - Rain (The Cult cover) www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXd2mc…
Joyless - Don't need religion (Motörhead cover) www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vus6cK…
Lydia Lunch - Black Juju (Alice Cooper cover) www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O_ANu…
Thanks for the recommendations.  Of that group I liked Rain the most.  The music was great and the singer fit well, even if I couldn't understand her.
My pleasure!
I was doubtful about adding the Rain at first because how the vocals kind of drown in to the sound of the instruments and the Japanese way of pronouncing English is a bit strange, but still I like her interpretation of this song and this is one of my most favourite cover songs that I have discovered this year.
It is a bit strange, but in a good way.  For me, a good cover song has to be more than merely a remake by a different band.  There has to be an element of originality and Boris definitely had that.
I agree with you, a good cover song has to be more than merely a remake of the original.
The Joyless' cover of the Motörhead's song is quite the same as the original. Even the singing style is almost identical as in the original song. I don't see the identical vocals as a bad thing, but I would have liked if the instrument part would have been unconventional or more different from the original.
It would be interesting, if Joyless would do a re-recording of this song with the music style they do nowadays; pop-folkish-rock with female vocals.
>"I Only Wanna Be With You" by The Bay City Rollers (originally by Dusty Springfield)
youtu.be/CGD27WgtKhI
>"Viva Las Vegas" by ZZ Top (originally by Elvis Presley)
youtu.be/gOoKzw3JSCM
>"Hooked On A Feeling" by Blue Swede (originally by B.J. Thomas)
youtu.be/NrI-UBIB8Jk
>"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" by Elton John (originally by The Beatles)
youtu.be/Ic2hlOwCif4
>"Venus" by Bananarama (originally by The Shocking Blue)
youtu.be/NkcU2_Vs7Xm
I see you got three and five confused like King Arthur.  But it's okay since I already know some of those songs.  Honestly, I think of all the versions of Hooked on a Feeling I've heard, I prefer the David Hasselhoff version the most.  Mainly because the video is bizarrely awesome.  Thanks for participating again.
I just saw the David Hasselhoff video, and you're right...It is bizarrely awesome!  I like the special effects used in the video, especially the little dogs on the lake and the two angels in the sky...Just out of curiosity, are those his daughters?  I also saw his Jump In My Car video, and it was just as cool...I like how he gets to reprise his Knight Rider and Baywatch roles.
Videos like that make me wonder what the thought process behind it was like.  I too was wondering if the angels were his daughters.  Then I was wondering if that would make it more or less creepy if they were.  Surely, those are his dogs though, right?  I can't think of any other reason for them being in the video.  Of course, I can't think of any reason whatsoever for the froglike alien thing or for Hasselhoff pretending to ski down a mountain with a fake fish in his mouth, or well, basically any of it.