Anyone into local music?

I have been coming up with a lot of possible projects to bridge some gaps in the local music community.

I'm also curious to see what general thoughts you have in interest of the local scene and the mainstream scene.
Comments24
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
In my town, there's a band called The Jar Family, they're getting quite well know around the UK now. They're kind of like folk I suppose. I'm not good at defining a band into a genre.
I've been trying. I was a fan of a local band earlier (The Pinz) but then they broke up a year after I found out about them...:(

My school has a battle of the bands and usually we have around 11 or 12 bands willing to participate, but last year we couldn't even get 2, so we couldn't have the event.

It's sad, really.
Recently I bought an album by a local group called Artefact (now defunct) and it was kinda good.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7nzp…
Not bad at all. Thank you!
Got a lot of folk/rock/blues/country where i live. I personally would love to get good ole fashion punk band going here.
I don't think that would go over too well. LOL! However there is A LOT of original material out here.

Most of the folk musicians bridge on politics as this is  one of those  "wild" places. and you "have to keep it wild" (I'm all for that!)
Then you have to please the redknecks if you want a music gig anywhere so "Play some Lynyrd Skynyrd" Might get shouted at you a lot. Or "Play Freebird!"

I have mixed feelings on my local scene. What i would want to play wouldn't get you the gigs- Screw mainstream, Though.
I would love to hear some of your stuff! Where I am at we got all kinds of folk. Yup... even punk folk. The music scene is tough you got to do what you love. Originality takes you a long way.
Nice! Im not really one to rush out and play in a bar.  I might could perform on the street (due to the lack of responsibility of a bar. lol!)

Im slowly recording by myself as I'm learning how to record so everything sounds kind of janky (To me) at this time.  Once I buy a mic i think the recording will Get a lot more productive.

So, Are you in a band or do you play? What do you have in mind for the community?
Melbourne has really awesome local music and I'm really into the punk scene here.
Boston has a strong local punk scene too... There's actually a huge experimental mix of punk with folk... I can imagine there is a lot going on in Melbourne. I would love to visit and check it out. Anyone you can suggest?
Folk-punk: The Smith Street Band poisoncityrecords.bandcamp.com…
Hardcore punk: Clowns poisoncityrecords.bandcamp.com…
Ska-punk: The Bennies poisoncityrecords.bandcamp.com…
Riot grrl: She's the Band peerecords.bandcamp.com/album/…
Amazing. Love the Bennies. Thank you so much! I need to go to Melbourne.
I adore local music :nod:
Any local artists you can suggest?
Local to me XD 
coco and the butterfields are fantabulous. Also Orfila
Love their sound! Thank you
You're welxome! Glad you like! :D
The only local artist I really into are these guys: www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLGL23…

I don't think they're active anymore though since their official youtube page seems to be gone.
Good stuff... great drummer
I love to support local musicians whenever I get the chance. Four Leaf Peat and Daddy Don't are two local bands I love.
I'll have to check them out. Thank you for supporting local music.
We done't really have local music here, really...what have you been working on?
Sorry forgot to hit the reply button. I basically want to throw a big show with buskers and local musicians here in Boston, but I want to document the whole process so people have a better understanding of what goes into local music... and how it differs from mainstream. There is a ton of sacrifice and heart involved.
Sounds interesting, I hope everything works out with your project :)