I need an explanation.

When is a remix of a song no longer a remix. Is a remix not a remix if it doesn't sound anything like the original? I ask this because  this remix www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mekr_W… is nothing like the originawww.youtube.com/watch?v=ScLiGm…. I've played them back to back but i don't see any resemblance  between them
Comments20
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
A remix, by my definition, is a rework of a song that uses samples (basically sound clips and stuff) from the original. It may or may not resemble the original.

In which case, a remix is no longer a remix when it doesn't use samples from the original track.
so is the mentioned remix a remix?
Yes.
If you listen to the remix, 0:28 seconds in, you can hear the melody from the original (can be heard at 0:16).
i think a more appropriate term would be a remaster
A remaster is intended to sound like an updated version of the original. A remix has much more freedom.
then what do you call a song that uses the original melody but different instruments from the original.
whenever i search for covers i end up with rock and metal version of a song or some half-wit playing a guitar with the original in the background. Is there a more generic term for a umm reconceptualization of a song. and before you say reconceptualization i doubt very few youtubers even knew the word existed.
It's still called a cover. It just so happens some people have only used certain instruments in their covers.
hmm maybe i have that wrong then
i feel that this is an original song not a remix though as this isn't really reminding me of anything of dkc let alone the supposed original song. if anything it sounds more or less like a remix of a few different songs which didn't contain the lost world anthem as suggested.
its not an original song, it does use aspects of the original track. however it recreates them rather than manipulating them.
then why am i unable to recognize any of the aspects? The only thing i can think of is that they both start out with drums which isn't uncommon either...
the melodies are the same idk why it's not clicking for you
Perhaps i perceive it as different due to how different the songs really sound that it blots the melody out altogether. Thus causing me to perceive the remix as having an original melody. It doesn't seem im the only one judge from the video comments as having difficulty. The vastly different sound to the original must is probably obscuring the melody...
you're overthinking it
The point of a remix is to mix it up and change the sound so it's always gonna be a remix if you're working from an existing song
i thought a remix required some bits of the existisng song. the remix in question doesn't feel like a remix to me period but strikes me as an original work.
I didn't look at it (internet too slow to load shit) but if the artist says it's a remix then I'd still call it a remix even if you can't recognise the song it was taken from