How to sing (punk)?

Me and a friend talked about gathering a few mates and make a punk band, something anarco-punk, political style.
I've always wanted to do this since my teenage years and now the opportunity came along. It's nothing certain yet, we're not sure we're going through with it BUT, I wanted help on how to sing.

Some say it's not important to know how to sing for a punk band because of the aggressive and raw vocals but it couldn't hurt to know the basics, right?

It's either that or me getting a bass guitar, but my voice is cheaper than that. :)
Thanks for any help!
Comments8
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Well when it comes to singing in general support and breath control is key.
When it came to being taught this in chorus we would poke our belly button and breath in against it (Chorus teachers make you do a lot of odd things). Remember your diaphragm is at the bottom of your rib cage

You will probably need to know how to properly belt, which I can't do (although I'm trying to figure it out). Bad belting is harmful to your voice so be careful

Diction is also important otherwise words will get slurred together or come out wrong (like hope may come out hoe)

I would suggest getting used to what your voice sounds like, learn your range and experiment a bit. Figure out what you like! Try singing some of your favorite songs.

You wanted singing advice right? Punk I don't have a lot of knowledge on but 4 years of chorus has taught me a lot.
Say it with yo chest!!
I think a good way to understand punk styled vocals is to look at what styles of singing influenced punk singing, particularly within the first generation of punk.

Take the Ramones for example: the type of singing they used on their records was something they came up with by listening to music like glam rock (New York Dolls, T. Rex), girl groups (The Ronettes, The Crystals), garage rock (The Stooges, early Beach Boys), and classic rock 'n roll (Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry).

Another good example would be Minor Threat.  Though their singer Ian Mackaye had an aggressive singing style, he had a knack for great sing-along type choruses.  He developed this knack from listening to Ted Nugent a lot as a kid.
Anti-Sect. Crass. Omega Tribe. Amebix. 

Check this bands out and you are all set.
Any bands in particular that you like?  Borrow from the musicians who influence you.

Try Fugazi www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM75Ub…
holy shit, didnt know about that band, sounds awesome!
I suppose I could try something like that, it doesnt *sound* hard to do, but I still *think* I would like to know the basics, so I don't hiccup or cof in the middle of singing and stuff like that, you know?
Practice makes perfect.  You'll develop your sound eventually.